[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I become a better writer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_9714.jpg (81KB, 480x575px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9714.jpg
81KB, 480x575px
I've been writing poetry for a few years now. And while I defiantly believe I'm not awful, I find myself nowhere close to where I want to be

https://speakewithpeacemthr1.bandcamp.com
You don't have to listen to the music but all the poems themselves are written on the page.

Any advice?
>>
>>18703764
Definitely a unique style... I think you can make something good out of this if you grab more attention to it; definitely a fanbase; becoming a better writer is something hard to explain in just a couple words. I say, find your own way; develop yourself through mistakes and personal doubts.
>>
>>18703764
>what would make me a better writer
reading

>what would make me a better poet
studying poetry and maybe learning a few languages

your graphic design is kind of a bad art mashup without much cohesion. I like the color scheme though and of course I like flowers.

I like the music.

I can't hear your voice over the music and this is la dispute wannabe stuff. what doesn't make the la dispute wannabe stuff is that the poetry seriously needs improvement.

the poetry is made of cliches, too self-referential and not interesting

try not being as self-important. try offering the audience something.

stop with the vaporwave text. stylizing the name of your band or whatever is fine, but the album titles and the song titles and the album names being vaporwaved out is just making up for a lack of substance
>>
>go to YouTube
>type in youtuber
>Terrible writing advice
>click video to suite your needs
>dont follow his sarcastic advice
>follow the actual advice he gives
>>
>>18703764
>>18704037
I can't give constructive criticism to your poetry because I have to listen to the terrible emo delivery and try to block out the cliches
>>
>>18704037
>>18704041
Fair enough advice, things I will defiantly take to heart.
The "confessionals" album is for sure very "me" based, and really just a personal venting place for me. So I acknowledge how emo those come off.

Working past talking about myself has been a struggle for me. Not bdicase I think I'm some hot shit, but more so becuase the only opinions or perspectives I can see currently are mine. I do agree with what you're saying though. In my "lost in translation" album, none of them are about me whatsoever. It's a concept album based on the idea of everyone's consciousness merging. It's goofy and silly but none of them are about me at all. Not saying it makes them good though.

I know my aesthetic it trash right now. I made it a long time ago and just never got down to make it look normal. Reading all that was good motivation to get it done though.
I know my delivery is shit, I've been experimenting with different ways to speak. Being more stern in voice, loading my pitch, less emo sounding, etc. it's a work in progress I won't lie. Dosint help that I grew up on Midwest emo music.

Thank you for the advice though. Confermend allot of what I was thinking.
Ps did you like the music? I made all of it myself.
>>
>>18703764
Write nigga
>>
>>18704148
yeah sorry for being so harsh. I just wanted to be helpful, and not like "yeah man it's pretty good doode."

>did you like the music?
I really like guitars. that's what they are, right? They set the mood really well.

>It's been a struggle to talk about myself less
it seems to be that way for everyone in our culture. It's not your fault. try singing about your community or your friends? idk.

>I'm trying to find my own style
focus more on the quality of your delivery than your style. I'm convinced there's something going on with people who literally only want to listen to a specific type of music. same thing goes for people who prefer style over substance.

you could also get vocal lessons or something. some singing would be nice. maybe put a female on too. females go well with rainy suburbs and flowers.
>>
>>18704148
>>18704212
some practice 101 advice, technique is more important than how long you practice.
>>
>>18703764
try talking and adding audio instead of singing or whatever you were doing

check out the video sleep patterns by merchant ships on youtube.. maybe you can use them as inspo
>>
>>18704212
No I'm glad you were brutal. Suguar coating dosint help me you know?
Yeah hey we're guitars. Distorted and reversed and junk, but guitars none the less. When I was talking about style I meant the way my pages looked haha. But that advice was good as well!
>>18704262
Ahh I'm a huge fan of merchant ships, and that song is wonderful.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.