[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

death

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 9

File: body.png (658KB, 780x452px) Image search: [Google]
body.png
658KB, 780x452px
>become obsessed with the fact that I'm going to die
>lose all motivation
>missing days at work
>don't want to go out
>barely eating
>sleeping poorly
>feeling panic on a regular basis

How is not every single person losing their shit over this right now? I'm very afraid of the idea of ceasing to exist, that's just horrible. I want to believe in religious afterlife ideas but I'm an atheist and they just don't seem plausible.
>>
>>18702496
Go to Church you fucking heathen.
>>
>>18702496
you'll die quicker if you keep barley eating and sleeping...
>>
>>18702558
*Barely typo lol
>>
>>18702558
Well what difference would it ultimately make anyway?
>>
>>18702496
Don't get caught up in that thought loop, OP. Can you conceptualize Nothing? No Thing? The answer is no, you can not. You are THING, in this material plane. Why should you fear something that you know nothing about? It is a waste of mental and emotional energy.

And that doesn't even include other possibilities....I am just working within your limits of what you believe death is, a cessation. I don't personally believe this, and I would never assume to know one way or the other. If it is a cessation, then you will not experience it. If it is a transition betweeen different states, it isn't the end of anything or the beginning of No thing, and you have nothing to be afraid of. Either way, it is useless to drive yourself mad over this. You have only a small fraction of reality available to you. Don't jump to grand conclusions with faulty evidence. You don't know anything, so there is nothing to fear.
>>
File: IMG_0536.jpg (128KB, 1600x1019px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0536.jpg
128KB, 1600x1019px
We all are gonna die, the way we do it, that's the important thing
>>
File: Virtual_Universe_L.jpg (52KB, 600x262px) Image search: [Google]
Virtual_Universe_L.jpg
52KB, 600x262px
>>18702590
>Why should you fear something that you know nothing about?
Well, why should I not fear it? Ceasing to exist seems like the worse thing that could happen to a person.

>You don't know anything, so there is nothing to fear.
Well, sure there are other possibilities. One that I've been thinking of is that, since we are conscious, we have the ability to reproduce the world around us and create artificial simulations of it. So if we ever get to simulate the universe in a realistic way, then it's likely that we are ourselves part of a simulation. But that doesn't help with anything, since if the simulation ever ends or is restarted I'll die and cease to exist the same way.

Honestly this is the only thing I can hope to cling to one day, the fact that we are conscious. Maybe there is some metaphysical cause behind this, but I can't just believe in supernatural events that happened to ancient people 2000 years ago and accept that that's what is behind everything.
>>
>>18702496
why fear death bro? if its your time to go then its your time to go just go with it
>>
>>18702496
What is the "I" that dies? Where is it? Where did it come from? How will you know when it is dead? Were you "dead" before you were "alive"? Was that a horrible experience?
>>
>>18702648
>What is the "I" that dies? Where is it?
I'm here, the person who read your message while sitting on his bed and who is now writing this reply to you.

>Where did it come from?
I also think of that. The molecules which make me were all at random places at first, and then at the womb of my mother I was assembled, and from there I acquired more mass from the environment and grew. It's astounding that I even exist in the first place.

>How will you know when it is dead?
I won't, since I won't be there to witness it.

>Were you "dead" before you were "alive"? Was that a horrible experience?
I was, and it was not an experience, since I didn't exist. But now that I exist and am conscious I don't want to return to the state of not existing and not witnessing anything.
>>
Survival instinct. It doesn't go away like a headache would.

Find a meaning, fall in love, get busy. For me, knowing that I will die is a relief.
>>
File: IMG_1577.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1577.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>18702626
You answered your first question in your second answer. Don't fear an option. Sure, getting hit by lightening is a frightening option, but it's not a certainty. It shouldn't mean you never go outside again.

As for consciousness, you should look more into that. What if this IS a simulation? What if it isn't? What if a rock is conscious? What does that even mean to you? Instead of wallowing in existential fear, try exploring existence and see what you can find.
>>
>>18702626
You're thinking of it wrong. If "you" die then there will no longer be a "you" to experience anything therefore it is impossible for "you" to experience suffering. Think if the time before you were born... Death will be just like that. You're trying to understand something that you literally cannot understand. As soon as you apply a definition or even try to think of the concept of "nothing" it automatically becomes something and is no longer "nothing". The idea of "nothing" do we sent even make any sense. Just focus on the fact that you exist now, OP, because there is literally no other time except for now. The future and past don't exist and have never existed. "Your" experience of the world has always been based in the present moment.
>>
>>18702747
I hope that you can interpret the typos into something that makes sense. I'm phone-posting and autocorrect is a bitch.
>>
>>18702626
>Ceasing to exist seems like the worse thing that could happen to a person.
Read "I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream" and evaluate your position.
>>
>>18702773
I have already read it a while ago, and I read again the ending to refreshen my memory. I guess dying isn't the worst thing, but still it's very terrifying.
>>
>>18702816
Nah, not really. It's just the end of your existance. Get kids and you will continue o life in genetics and epigenetics so even your memories can be given on. Cease to see yourself as an individuum and realise that your just one incarnation of the first humans to walk the earth and that your part has to end so that your children can continue your line. Everything which lives must die. Just use your life in a way that you can look back in your death bed and be happy with your decisions. Be a good husband, a good father, plant a tree, you know the drill.

Don't give into nihilism. That way you will only waste your life and die useless.
>>
>>18702496
You sound like you're wasting your time freaking out about something that happens to everyone. We only have a limited amount of time, some much more limited than others (I feel super bad for born kids who die before learning how to communicate). Why aren't you doing something with your time that's meanful instead of freaking out? You're so afraid of ceasing to exist that you haven't done anything worthwhile in your life, have you?

Religion is an easy way for humans to have hope that their lives are meaningful instead of finding true meaning. For a very large population of the world, we need it.

I'm personally agnostic. I think it's possible a higher power exsists given the mathematical purity of the universe, but I think it's just as possible that humans aimlessly believe in a higher power given the chaos in the world. That being said, I'm a person who let's the idea of the image I want to leave behind guide my actions as opposed to pleasing a diety's senses.
>>
>>18702753
It fucking is! Everyone thinks I'm a retard because I missed a typo or my phone auto corrected to some bullshit.
>>
>>18702496
Go to eight chans Christian board.
I am serious, just go there and make a thread asking for the proof of Christianity and link it here.
>>
>>18702900
why the hell not

8ch net/christian/res/518857.html
>>
File: phwoar2.gif (3MB, 192x144px) Image search: [Google]
phwoar2.gif
3MB, 192x144px
>>18702496
You're an emotionally, psychologically, physically weak twat.

I had a similar epiphany at the age of 12, and by age 14 I had decided that that shit wasn't worth worrying about.

I say this to everyone I know when this comes up; Shameless cynicism is the way to true happiness.
You have to learn that yes, life is meaningless, death is imminent, but value is subjective.
Don't worry about death, because there are more important and depressing things at hand.

You'll be dead within a hundred years (at best), forgotten within another 50, your work and legacy meaningless within another 50 on average, or another 1000 if you are a ground-breaking philosopher, scientist, strategist, or artist. Which you aren't.
Within a thousand years society will be unrecognisable. Within 10 thousand the human race will be unrecognisable. Within a hundred thousand the human race will most likely no longer exist.
In 5 billion years the sun will expand and consume the Earth, eliminating any insignificant trace of your existence.

And at some point in the far future, the Universe will end, and with any luck be reborn from the ashes. There will be nothing left of anything related to you in the slightest at that point.

But this is all ok, because we live here and now, we have such things as the internet, 4chan, sweet chilli sauce, scotch eggs, cutting British comedy, sex, and explosions to make it all bearable.

Only when you learn to hate everything, can you appreciate it fully.
>>
Hey, nobody alive knows what exactly happens after death, so it is a waste of mental energy to worry about it. Who knows, maybe our minds won't actually stop existing, they'll just "turn off" and one day far into the future, beings much more advanced than us will turn us back on again. Maybe heaven / afterlife does not exist now at all, but it will be created one day.
As for not existing / being "turned off" - it is roughly the same as sleeping. You lay into your bed and suddenly 8 hours had passed. What has happened during those 8 hours ? It does not really matter, you were kind of "indisposed" at that time anyway. But was it unpleasant ? Did it hurt ? Not at all, you don't even know anything about it. This is pretty much what ceasing to exist means - nothing. Literally.
Besides, lack of motivation and interest in life will bring you one step closer to death.

Or maybe, just maybe the christian bauble is true and when you die you will just leave your body, look at your family that cries something awful and then you'll notice that the door is made entirely out of light. You'll step into it, the light embalms you, then hyper-advanced being (a.k.a god) will drug you with some shit and you'll be happy forever with other fellow corpses.

Or what if there exists an afterlife of sorts, but it is different for each person ? What if you'll end up as a medieval warrior in a fairy tale ?

Possibilities are many, but we will never find out until we.. well.. die. Try to look at it from a greater perspective - life in 21st century is not that bad for an average human, so stop overthinking it and enjoy it while you can. It does not matter if death / afterlife is going to be better or worse than life - you can always just say "fuck it" and live NOW.
>>
>>18703096
Just accept your inevitable death, fag.
>>
>>18703110
can you prove to me that there's no afterlife ?
>inb4 No.
can I prove the opposite to you ?
>No.

Needless to say, every person which says that there's no afterlife or that there is afterlife is biased. We simply don't know so everybody is free to fantasize about shit that's possible, but it ends there - it's just a hypothesis.
>>
>>18703174
>inb4 Occam's razor
>>
Death to me isn't something to be afraid of. It comes wherever, whenever, and there's little to nothing we can do to beat it. It's the finish line that's always there.

As for the afterlife, we have absolutely no tangible proof that some form of life exists or doesn't after we've "died."

A little shrimp at the bottom of the ocean sees dozens of colours our eyes never will. Animals sense earthquakes long before we do. How many of our physics models and theories could be completely off because we're missing the one aspect we can't see due to our very limited, and binding physical existence?

To make any assumptions at all about what happens after we go are all baseless. The only true way to know is to actually die. Lucky for you, it'll come one day.

In the meantime, just try to live your life well. Heaven or hell, a non conscious void, it doesn't matter until you get there. You aren't there yet.
>>
File: 1504890786353.jpg (114KB, 625x505px) Image search: [Google]
1504890786353.jpg
114KB, 625x505px
>>18702496
I don't see an issue with not existing anymore.
I think that's great, and I constantly entertain the thought of dying.

Then again, there's not much for me to live for.
>>
>>18702496
How can you be afraid of not existing? You sure as shit won't be bothered by it when you're dead so why be bothered about it when you're alive?
>>
File: index.png (7KB, 224x225px) Image search: [Google]
index.png
7KB, 224x225px
>>18702496
I freaked out on a business flight, and had to keep it to myself

I fly for work sometimes and travel

On a flight, and three guys sitting in front of me. All three also on a business trip and this is what I noticed that made me panic

Guy to my left, slight greying in his late 20s
Guy in the middle, more greying in his late 30s
Guy in the right, very grey hair, guy is in his 50s, and is a successful businessman

>Thus the cycle of life, guy on the left is the young guy in his company, just now getting grey hair and he is in his late 20s

>Guy in the middle is clearer in this field a long time and is getting greyer by the day

>Guy in the right, is grey as fuck and likely in his 50s with a few good years left in him

Is this the meaning of life? You work for a company and eventually you die? The guy on the right is giving up his actual life for this career and he is grey as fuck and likely going to die in his 70s

>I panicked for a while on that flight, than I just smiled to myself and thought about how I would live my life in my late 30s and late 50s.
>>
File: 1397439422765.png (50KB, 641x769px) Image search: [Google]
1397439422765.png
50KB, 641x769px
How is every single person not losing their shit over this right now? I am terrified of being forced to stay on this awful ride a single day more, when will it get better?
>>
>>18703326
Maybe the older guy uses the money he makes to provide good education and standard of living for his children. You never know what people's motivations are.
>>
>>18702496
that's incredibly irrational, OP. do you even have a chain of logic connecting hte thoughts "I am going to die" and "therefore nothing matters"?
>>
If it's inevitable, why does it matter?
You're giving the concept of death this importance in your life, like it's something crazy. Yes, you will cease to exist.

Do you remember the time before you were born? No, you don't, because you didn't exist. Why aren't you afraid of all the time you haven't experienced? Because it can't be helped.

Focus on making the time left enjoyable. Yeah, nothing has any real meaning in the grand scheme of the universe, because the grand scheme of the universe is meaningless. Life, people, and everything else in the universe has no purpose to existing. It just does. So find meaning in what you want. Find meaning in the things that make you happy. Because life doesn't mean anything... but neither does death, right?

Don't sweat these things man. Just accept that you can't control it, and be happy that you can't. Imagine if there was a ring that you allow you to live forever, but there could only ever be one at a time. You and everyone else in the world would be trying to get that ring. But there isn't. Everyone lives, everyone dies. So no sweat, right? Be happy in the fact that you have no control over that and be happy for the things you can control.
>>
It's your choice.
Do you want to live? Live(miserable life is included)
Do you want to die? Die
The life you have is yours.
>>
>>18703569
This

You die whether you try to live your life or are too scared to; in my opinion, improving the quality of your life is more beneficial than wallowing in despair over the fact that you will die.
>How is not every single person losing their shit over this right now?
Distraction or anchoring
You either give yourself a reason to exist or you distract your mind from the fact; we all do it.
>>
Play persona 3
The game's message is for people just like you.
>>
>>18702496
if you die you wont even know it, no point in worrying about it
>>
>>18702668
After you die and your consciousness ceases to exist, you will eventually be pulled into another state of consciousness. Just like how this current consciousness you have came to be in the first place. Existence is a never ending cycle of experiences.
>>
Most people in this thread just come up with their own ways to be ignorant of it, but once death is actually imminent they're going to be losing their shit too.
In the end that's advice in itself, just be ignorant of it until it comes.
>>
You need this in your life.

youtu.be/MBRqu0YOH14
>>
Stoicism helped me a lot with this. At one point I was terrified of the exact same stuff you were, but honestly the best thing that helped me was thinking of the absolute worst possible thing (death) in different ways. So I died, what then. Whats the absolute worst that comes from it, if I wont even know Im dead? The absolute worst is you not experiencing anything, but to not experience anything that means you are experiencing something right now. You're alive, you're healthy, and the absolute worst thing that can happen hasnt happened. So calm the fuck down, listen to a good song, tell some one you love them, play some comfy vidya. The fact that we even get to exist at all, let alone have awareness of existing, is so unique and crazy that thinking about not existing will take away from you existing. It will all be ok anon
>>
File: 1301790359001.png (281KB, 680x382px) Image search: [Google]
1301790359001.png
281KB, 680x382px
>>18702496

we all know and share that feel, anon
>>
>>18702587
you get to enjoy the current pleasantries in life as long as you possibly can, milk the one life you have you beta faggot.
>>
>I'm very afraid of the idea of ceasing to exist
>I'm an atheist

What do you have to fear? If you've had grandparents pass away, they have entered a void, but you still remember them. Maybe you'll have children one day and you'll tell your children about your grandparents and maybe when they have children of their own, they will repeat those same stories. This will continue until their names and those stories are forgotten -

and that's okay.

Everything is meaningless except for what you do today.

This past year, I have buried my grandfather, my father, my brother and likely my grandmother very soon. I remember them and I pass their stories along and they live on through me as I will live on through others. Maybe my great-great-grandchildren won't know my name, but they will have a part of me in the values passed down. What is, is what will be.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.