[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Career decision

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 5563934_l1.jpg (167KB, 2108x1990px) Image search: [Google]
5563934_l1.jpg
167KB, 2108x1990px
I'll try to keep it short and sweet.

I'm a 28 year old lawyer and I have come to a fork in the road. Some days I enjoy my job, and other days I fucking hate it and think I can't do this for the rest of my life. The way I see it I have three realistic options:

1. Continue working where I currently am. The pay isn't great but the hours are good and the senior partners like me and want me to progress. The money will get better as time goes on and I will have a comfortable life. I can walk to work and I have a lodger which provide a good source of supplemental income.

2. Work for another law firm for double the money, but the hours will be longer, my commute will be 2 hours each way and my hourly take home pay will decrease due to paying more tax.

3. Quit law and join the Army (British) as an officer. I am near the end of the application process and they need to know imminently whether or not I wish to continue with my application as I must commence training before May 2018 due to my age. This career path appeals to me because I think it would suit my character/personality more and there are plenty of opportunities to develop leadership skills, see the world, make friends for life etc etc. Please ignore any ethical issues for now.

I quit my current job, join the Army, and then get injured or don't make it through the intense officer training for whatever reason, the firm I am currently at would be very annoyed that I had left and would not take me back. I would then be forced to work somewhere with a longer and more costly commute.

I think that the EASIEST and SAFEST option is to stay where I am and try to make the most of it. However, I am aware that the easiest and safest option ins't always the best.

What do you guys think? Has anyone else already had to make such life decisions? Any advice welcome.
>>
Sandhurst is for puffs, you'll get through it no issue. Girls get through that shit, you're in better shape than some girl, aren't you?
>>
>>18702202

Yes, I've always stayed on top of my fitness and I've still got 9 months to prepare. I am just thinking worst case scenarios.

Have you been through RMAS?
>>
But on a serious note: you've gotta ask yourself are you comfortable doing what you're doing right now or will you always regret not becoming an officer? I regret joining the military at times but at the same time it's been a good experience for me and brought about a lot of cool life experiences I know I wouldn't have had if I had done the civilian side of things. Now I'm not saying the military is for everyone, it sucks a lot of times too and you can have some shitty toxic leader that just destroys your life but that probably applies to every job. The military isn't going to change you into some other person, but it may make you more confident and he'll take you out of your comfort zone which is beneficial in like, everything in life. It's your life though bro.

Just b ur self :^)
>>
>>18702225
I just did their final military exercise on exchange from West Point so I was basically there only a month. I still remember the whole experience quite fondly though, you brits are great.
>>
Option 2 an move closer to work?
>>
>>18702226

I've always felt like you regret the things you didn't do in life, not the things you did do. So yes, I think I would always wonder 'what if' if I didn't go for it.

I guess I am just wary of the unknown because I'm taking a massive risk jacking in a good career that I have worked hard for. Advice from parents and friends saying "the grass isn't always greener" probably doesn't help either.

Have you left the military yet? If so, how have you find life in the civilian world afterwards?
>>
>>18702256

If I move closer to a higher paying law firm then property becomes more expensive and I wouldn't be able to afford a house with space for one or two tenants. Given that this supplemental income is tax free, losing it would cancel out most of the gross salary pay rise.
>>
>>18702261
So you double before tax.

Get 70% more after tax

But work x hour more + 4h commute each day?

If you cant move Option 2 is shit
>>
>>18702178
option 1 is good
option 2 is crap
option 3 is also crap

just one persons opinion.
>>
>>18702259
Well they're right, it's a change of career and I imagine being a lawyer would be more lucrative in the long term while being much less risky. Have you considered doing JAG? I'm not sure that's a thing in bongland but they're basically army officers that are also attorneys and handle military law cases. Would be a way for you to experience the military side while also furthering your experience as an attorney.

No I haven't left, I'm still a lowly lieutenant doing lowly lieutenant things. We have a 5 year commitment coming out of West Point so I'll be in for a good minute before I can go back to civilian life but I know at least for us there's a great alumni network that helps with employment and ofcourse in Americlap everyone likes veterans in general.
>>
>>18702266

Thanks Anon. Writing my options out to you guys has helped and I have come to the same conclusion. I think the much longer commute/working hours (and the next level of stress associated with multi-million £ deals) would start to take a toll on my physical and mental health over the years.
>>
>>18702281

Yeah mate, that commute alone is brutal. Plus if it is London you're commuting to then the transport costs will eat up thousands. I used to live in Surrey and even that was well over 2k a year for train tickets.
>>
>>18702293

Yeah good point. I live in Sussex and a season ticket would be £4-5k.

OPTION 2 ABANDONED :)
>>
>>18702178
I would just bite the bullet and stick to the first option. The convenience factor and good stance with your peers sounds a fuck ton less stressful than the other two
>>
>>18702338

Option 1 would certainly be the least stressful of the options.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.