[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

As a poor, straight, white male, how do I make a powerful short

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: movie-theater-sudience.jpg (186KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
movie-theater-sudience.jpg
186KB, 1280x800px
As a poor, straight, white male, how do I make a powerful short documentary for my senior year media production school?

The thing is, as a white man, I have no access to topics of interest like the asian and syrian students do. Secondly, because I'm practically an orphan with no money, I don't have access to travel or an exciting life.

I'm literally a nobody, but I work hard and have really good camera, and film making skills.

How do I find a compelling subject that could get me into a grad program at NYU or UCLA? They seem to cater to rich white people, or non white people.
>>
Just make it about your struggles. A lot of younger people look at people like you and assume everything is fine because they've been handed a "good hand" in life when in reality everyone goes through different shit no matter their background. I'm sure being poor and orphaned wasn't the easiest.
>>
>>18701493
>white
>struggles
hah...haha...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>18701478
I think your challenge is to represent what you have in a way that is as exciting as the asians or syrians.

recontextualize your living/working space as something foreign or "other," so that even the most mundane countryside will seem awesome or marvelous to your audience.

t. art school grad with nyu film best friend
>>
>>18701478
I'm no artist. But if i were one I'd try to document something that is relatable to others,universally. So maybe about something like death, loss, regret. Or perhaps something philosophical.
>>
>>18701478

pick something ridiculous and inane to make a topic about, and do it super seriously.

like the life of a paperclip, or follow a stray cat.
>>
Whatever you choose make sure it's something your passionate about. If you aren't the project will just drag on for you and it will show in the final product.
>>
>>18701478
Jesus man you think literally the only problems or interesting things in the world are race related?

Theres a million things you can do.

Poor? Document a thrifty cross country trip where you only use couch surfer to find places to sleep, hitch hike, and eating on the cheap from grocery store sale sections.
>>
>>18701478

You can find out the history of your ancestors and tell that .

You can make one about being poor .

You make one of your schools clubs .

You can make one about some immigrant in your class .
>>
>>18701510
HAHA YEAH GUYS, ALL 1.3 BILLION WHITE PEOPLE IN THIS WORLD HAVE 0 STRUGGLES AT ALL AND HAVE NO TROUBLE IN THEIR LIVES AT ALL
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.