[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to /tg/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_4500.jpg (199KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4500.jpg
199KB, 480x640px
Want to try getting into tabletop rpgs in order to meet people, but have no experience with them. What can I expect from a board game night at a local game shop? What's the typical gender ratio? If a clueless autistic girl shows up to one with a d&d handbook saying she wants to learn is it typically well received? Is there a certain protocol for beginners?

Also, I tried getting into Magic once but the rules ended up being too complicated and I didn't really enjoy it. Do you think that could be indicative of my enjoyment of other traditional games?
>>
>>18700875
What edition is it ?

Also usually they welcome any woman there.
>>
>>18700888
The gender thing is a little intimidating, but I'm more worried about being a beginner. Also, I guess being both. When you're a man and you're clueless you're just clueless, but as a woman when you act foolishly it's often attributed to your gender. I worry that might be more thing in a place with fewer women.

I haven't bought the handbook yet but somebody told me that the 5th edition is the one I should get.

Also, are there any good YouTube channels that can teach me the basics? I see the value in having a handbook for reference, but I'm more of an auditory learner.
>>
>>18700875
I got into it through my coworkers, this 39 year old lady who plays diablo and tabletop with her husband. Pretty cool folks. I don't know what it's like at a shop but it's a niche hobby. No one is going to turn away someone who wants to learn because they're a woman. Just watch what the other players are doing and ask questions if you need to. Magic is not for everyone. You might like deck building games like clank. It's easy to learn and pretty fun when you get a game going
>>
You might not love D&D if you aren't fond of MtG's complexity. The mechanics are obviously quite different in D&D but they can get a bit esoteric.
>>
Bump. Hoping to get some first hand accounts of these sorts of community game nights.
>>
>>18700910
>as a woman when you act foolishly it's often attributed to your gender. I worry that might be more thing in a place with fewer women.

from my similar experience I find this to be the case. You just have to live with it if you want to learn in a place like that. It will (hopefully, probably) get better as you get better or when you "prove yourself."

But my singular experience is not necessarily going to be yours. I wouldn't let it deter you.

All the best!
>>
>>18700875
There's a big spread when it comes down to FLGS. Not all of them so F.
They do happen to attract a certain crowd. Most of them unwashed, fat, and a little resentful of women.

However, I do like tabletop games. They can make you great friends. I think you're making a good choice by seeking it out. I've made great friends with classic games.

You can try your LGS, and if that doesn't work, you can try reddit for your local city.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.