[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

wannabe engineering ideas

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 2

File: appalachia.jpg (107KB, 498x528px) Image search: [Google]
appalachia.jpg
107KB, 498x528px
hey /adv/
i currently have a B.S. in biology, with an emphasis on fisheries management, and am employed (3 year position) doing fisheries management work, but i have to live away from my family. i love my work, and can find other work all over the country, and i accepted that i would have to move around for a while to find a good permanent job.
the problem is that given my families (young daughter and wife) current siutation, i cannot just move anywhere for a job anymore. i believe its time to find a new career path, because there are absolutely no jobs in my field where my family is now located.
it makes the most sense to me to get trained up in a field that actually employs people in my area. shithole northern appalachia area, so my choices are basically retail, law enforcement, medical, or manufacuring. i could ultimately see myself as an engineer of some type, but don't really want to go back to another college for another degree.
is it worth pursuing a technical program that offers some sort of autocad or drafting training, if my goals are to get hired and make acceptable money within a manufacturing/engineering organization? what other options do i realistically have to get qualified to build shit (not houses)?
>>
a lot of companies may have some sort of test using software they use (autoCAD, solidwords, etc.) to test your proficiency to hire you, so you may not necessarily need some a degree.
>>
Go to a tech/community college and look for a program in Engineering Graphics. Probably AS level, or even just a diploma/certificate.

Just make sure they have you doing classes on current-gen software and not ancient shit from 2003.

t. Machinist who shared classes with EngiGraph students.
>>
>>18699832
good to know, although i know nothing of either just interested in learning.
>>18699884
good info, thank you.
>>
File: YANKEES GET OUT REEEEEEEEEE.png (100KB, 424x730px) Image search: [Google]
YANKEES GET OUT REEEEEEEEEE.png
100KB, 424x730px
>>18700273
You'll also want to learn at least the theory of how to machine. Hands-on experience would be even better, but most engineering programs don't do much more than a cursory overview that you'll forget immediately after. Depending on what you want to do, learning CNC (and how to use different CAD/CAM packages) is also highly recommended.

My dad worked for the Fish and Wildlife Service in SC. Kept track of fish populations and shit.

Ended up committing suicide.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.