[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What to do when someone doesn't care that you care?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1451528341418.jpg (94KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1451528341418.jpg
94KB, 500x500px
Maybe some of you were around for my last thread. My girlfriend has what most would probably consider a bad habit - she works a night shift for work, and when she comes home around 4am she tends to pour herself a stiff gin drink before going to bed. This is something we've talked about before, with the conversation typically boiling down to her saying that I'm parenting her and she's young so it doesn't matter if she wants to drink.

My issue with things like this isn't so much that she's doing something unhealthy, but that when I express my concerns about it and try to care for her, she gets very defensive and pushes me away. I don't know how else to go about it - I know she's doing something unhealthy, and since we've committed to each other it's certainly within my responsibilities to care about her life. She apparently doesn't feel the same way, though, and thinks that it would be best if I just let her do her thing. Unfortunately, I've been in multiple relationships where alcohol or some other bad habit becomes a sticking point, and I know what happens to irresponsible people if they keep it up. How do you get someone to see that you actually care for them, and aren't trying to parent them?
>>
>>18699799
Sounds like you are trying to parent her.
>>
>>18699799
So he has A drink before bed every night and gets upset when you chide her for it? Sounds normal to me.
It'd be different if she was an alcoholic or drug addict but she has a drink to calm her nerves before bed; lay off.
>>
>>18699799
Of all the shit to worry about. How about you pump the brakes and check yourself before she dumps your ass for being a pansy? You're talking about her one drink like she's mainlining heroin in the bathroom.
>>
>>18699821
>>18699834

>calm her nerves before bed
>one drink

That's a pretty weak excuse for drinking a decent amount of gin. Like, several shots worth in a glass, being finished within 30 minutes. Alcohol interrupts deep sleep, so really, drinking right before bed just contributes to any stress already there. There's plenty of research on this, it's not my opinion. On top of that, she's drinking it and then within an hour going to bed, making it pretty pointless if she's going for getting drunk since barely any alcohol is actually going through her system at that point.

At what point is it "parenting"? At what point do you just let someone continue to be a cliche and watch them hurt their health? And am I supposed to just ignore it when I try to express concerns and someone essentially tells me to fuck off? Millennial attitudes toward alcohol are totally fucked.
>>
She is a grown adult you faggot.
Let her do what she wants, a drink before bed wont kill her.
Forcing her to do what she does not want will turn out worse for you trust me.
If you really want her to stop you have to make her think that it was her idea.
>>
Jump ship. My moms an alcoholic, that's enough for me to never touch a girl who even drinks.
>>
>>18699853
>That's a pretty weak excuse for drinking a decent amount of gin
>Grown adults need to excuse themselves to me
There's your fucking problem.
Unless you're cool with her jumping on your ass when you slouch in a chair because back problems or not picking up your feet enough because it wears out the soles of your shoes then just leave it. You're like a nagging wife and you aren't even a woman or married.
>>
>>18699853
You sound like a square little bitch but that's just me. You're freaking out over nothing and if you try to lecture her about it it's just going to make her drink more idiot. Are you her daycare teacher or her boyfriend?
>>
>>18699869

No, "a drink" before bed won't kill her, but it's not "a drink", it's several drinks of hard liquor. Big difference. Still, no it won't kill her, but it will drastically increase the chances of her doing something stupid/forgetful/irresponsible which directly impacts me and/or our relationship. Drinking hard liquor also increases the chances of health complications, which also directly impacts me if we're together.

>make her think that it was her idea

Go on

>>18699887

Here's the difference: we're in a relationship together. It's a two way street, you don't just get to be an island when you decide to shack up with someone. You can't be serious with the "grown adult" shit, no 20-25 year old really has a full grasp on how to handle life. And comparing slouching and feet-dragging to alcoholism is pretty fucking stupid.
>>
>>18699907
>And comparing slouching and feet-dragging to alcoholism is pretty fucking stupid.
And calling a fucking drink before bed alcoholism is straight up alarmist bullshit. I bet she wouldn't have shacked up with you in the first place if she knew what a fucking bitch you were going to be about innocuous shit.
Leave her if a drink before bed is literally the fucking end of the world.
>>
>>18699924

It seems like you're purposefully ignoring the quantity here. A single drink - one beer, one glass of wine, one shot - before bed really doesn't concern me. Filling a glass half full of gin and drinking it as quickly as possible at 5am before going to bed is entirely different. That's self medicating, and it's ignorant of the associated health effects.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.