[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I being a douche about my rent?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 3

File: Banshee-GTA3-front.jpg (51KB, 655x412px) Image search: [Google]
Banshee-GTA3-front.jpg
51KB, 655x412px
>Couldn't pay rent online last month (complex's fault)
>Tell leasing office, they say they'll work on it
>This month, try to pay online, still can't
>Call office, they say I still have to pay before the 4th
>I have work now, no time to goto the bank
>same on saturday
>sunday is sunday, monday is a holiday, then it's late
>I don't have checks because it's 2017
>Money order with a card is like a $5 fee
>$5
>But fuck that I shouldn't have to pay extra and go out of my way because of their problem
>Get a voicemail from office
>$110 late fee, plus $5 for each day
>I'm out of town bc hurricane, still can't pay online

Am I completely in the wrong for thinking it's fucked up that I'm supposed to pay a late fee for this? Or for telling them I'm not paying it? Their argument is that they never called and told me my account was fixed, but I was never told to expect a phone call, and I didn't think such a small problem would still exist a month later. After that, I didn't have time to withdraw cash for a free money order, and I don't think it's right that I should have to do/pay extra for their fuck up when no other tenant has to.

Any advice? Or am I just being a dick?
>>
>>18696310
bitch and moan all you like but they are legally correct and you will either pay them the money, and late fee, or get forced to pay it in court. They will give zero fucks about your situation and will expect you to hand them a check on the first of every month.

protip: pay your rent more than a month in advance just to give yourself a buffer against the unexpected.
>>
>>18696310
Ask boss if he would allow you to be late so you could stop into bank explain situation. Ask if you can stay late to make up for it.

Maybe boss will understand.
>>
>>18696320
So if I tell them I'm not paying $110 dollars are they actually going to take me to court for that? Like there's zero chance they'll just waive it? Because that's absurd that they would take a tenant to court for $110 and it almost makes me wanna see what they do.
>>
>>18696329
Sorry, probably wasn't clear. This all already happened, and now I'm supposed to pay the late fee when I was fully prepared to pay my rent on the first online like every other tenant.
>>
Can you pay rent in person? Do they accept that?
>>
>>18696334
If time is no object to you then you might as well. Do try to talk to a higher up about it first though
>>
>>18696337
You can, the problem I had was by the time I found out I wasn't able to pay online, it was virtually too late to withdraw cash from a bank. I don't have checks, and a money order with a card is an extra fee and I felt it's not necessary to go out of my way and pay more money than any other tenant had to just to pay rent.

There was a time before when there were problems with the website across the board, and they gave everyone a longer grace period, so if anything I feel they should just give me a longer grace period since I'm unable to pay in the way I usually do through their fault.
>>
>>18696334
Most complexes will opt to make a tenant happy over an extra $100, because the net gain from having you stay there is way more.

Talk to the head office, they may be willing to work with you.
>>
>>18696350
I already talked to 2 of the employees in the leasing office and made a reasonable but firm argument as to why I felt I shouldn't have to pay the late fee, and they kept coming at me with "you could've paid before the first" and "there are other ways to pay rent", which I understand, but I responded that it's wholly their fault that I wasn't able to pay in the method that is most convenient and that every other tenant is able to pay with, and that I was prepared to pay rent within the required time window until their mistake created a situation in which I was going to have to spend extra time and money that other tenants are not forced to spend.

Anyway one of them said she'd have to talk to her boss about waiving the late fee, so I'm just waiting for a phone call.
>>
>>18696349

>by the time I found out I wasn't able to pay online, it was virtually too late to withdraw cash from a bank

I'm starting to think you're a bit irresponsible. That's my opinion but my wife is the same way. Our rent is due on the 3rd OR we pay late for example. She will be buying the money order on that day. I would buy it a day or two in advance.

I only had to pay by online service for a couple years when I rented a town home and the owner lived a bit far away it wasn't worth driving or mailing it (might not reach him in time). Otherwise I would pay in person.

Maybe you have gotten a bit too reliant on the online system?. I suppose if it's there there isn't too much wrong with that but this is an example and not knowing the methods available and how to use them wisely.

>money order with a card is an extra fee

Is that the case?. We pay our rent with money orders that we get from Wal-Mart. As far as I know it only costs like a dollar IF THAT. All I know is we tell them how much it's for and the entire money we hand them is pretty much the same as the rent they make it out for. I don't even know if they charge for that but I'm guessing they do.
>>
What the shit are you on about 'couldn't pay online'. So your online banking was down? You are retarded and didn't know the account number and sort code to perform an online transfer? You didn't want to call your bank to make the payment? Come on man seeing as the crux of your frustration is your entitlement to use and online system that didn't work explain why it didn't work and maybe we can understand if your frustration is reasonable.

Do what most people do and setup a repeat payment for the required date to roll every month and forget about it.
>>
>>18696393

I think he means his apartment complex has like it's own website portal where you login as a tenant and have a button in there that says "pay rent online" and shit but it wasn't working (login was fucked, or that button was not working). That's what I got.
>>
>>18696388
irresponsible maybe, but in this case I was trying to pay online like a little before I left for work on a friday (the 1st), so once I found out I couldn't there wasn't time to goto the bank and withdraw cash. Then saturday same thing because I worked before the bank opened to after closing (saturday hours). Bank was closed sunday and monday (holiday) and by that time rent was late.
>>
>>18696334

asking is ok, so do what other anons said.

but if your refusal is belligerent, they'll just execute an eviction (and win) and it will fuck up your hidden 'renters history' when you go to find a new place to live.

tread carefully.
>>
>>18696368
You sound a bit like my roommate.

>The easiest and most convenient method was made less easy and convenient, so I chose not to do it at all

Fact of the matter is that you could've paid rent, had it been important to you. If they waive the late fee, that's great, but there's no real reason to, since its your responsibility to pay it on time and you neglected to.

It really has nothing to do with the app or whatever.
>>
>>18696393
quite a leap there, friend.

basically what >>18696400 said, except it wasn't a problem with logging in, it's something to do with their system internally and my information specifically. It's a long story but basically they required me to make a new account on their portal, and when they did that they fucked something up to where I wasn't able to enter my bank info to pay because it was still in their system from the previous account.
>>
>>18696405

Well, I suppose that's normal but then again I con't relate because I work at nights so I'm always able to get shit done during the day. Not sure what's normal/typical for daytime workfags to do to handle their business. I wonder how the fuck do you even get shit done when you're at work all day and then by the time you leave everything's closed.

Well really you shouldn't need to interact with your bank. You SHOULD I would think have online bank account management?. If you have the money in the bank then just go buy a money order with your debit card and pay like that. You don't need to go to the bank and it doesn't need to be open. You said you don't want to do that tho because there's a fee for a money order?.

How old are you by the way?. When I was like 25 I still did stuff like that and eventually I got my head out of my ass and started being much more cautious.
>>
>>18696417
It's more
>The easiest and most convenient method was made inaccessible
>The other methods that didn't incur extra fees were unavailable due to time constraints

so

>Go out of your way and pay extra to pay rent that you were going to pay on the 1st if their shit had been working

and I decided I wasn't doing that. So we'll see if they're that set on charging tenants an extra $110 dollars.
>>
>>18696425
23, but I talked to my parents about it and they agreed it was shitty so maybe we're all assholes or maybe I was just telling them my side idk.
>>
>>18696485

Still young. Do you do online banking?. You can manage your accounts with your phone?.

Also what was the issue with the money orders again?.
>>
>>18696310
Guess you should have ponied up the $5 for a money order.
>>
>>18696490
Yeah I have online banking and manage it all.

The problem is there was no time that I could goto the bank and withdraw cash, there weren't really enough days to withdraw the cash from an ATM with my daily limit, and to do a money order with a card it's an extra fee.

It's honestly like $2 extra, but it was 11pm by the time I got to the atm and couldn't withdraw enough money, then I called the wal-mart nearby and their money order system was down for some reason, and I got pretty annoyed by the whole situation and said "fuck it, I shouldn't have to drive across town and pay anything more than my total rent amount just to pay rent for their problem that they should've fixed a month ago."

Not the most reasonable or responsible thing, but not the most unreasonable imo. No one else in my complex is unable to use the online method.
>>
>>18696503
I'm in too deep now, I'm totally ok with making them take me to court for it.
>>
>>18696512

Where do you work?. How long lunch do you have?. What bank do you have and do they have a closer location?. Could your parents help you out in the future if the same thing happens?.

I mean this happened whatever, but at least don't make the same mistake again.
>>
>>18696434
Ok but see, that's exactly what I'm saying

>Easy way was made inaccessible
>You made the informed, deliberate decision to NOT pay rent
>It's their fault

You signed a contract that stated you'd pay $X on Y/Y, and you neglected to do so. Not because you were unable, but because you literally chose not to. Now you have a consequence to you decision. Your actual ability to pay rent was never taken away.

Fucks sake, you could've just paid rent and then asked that they reimburse you the $2 it costs for a money order, if you're so adamant.

But you didn't. You stalled and procrastinated, and now you have a late fee because you handle your living situation like you're still living with your parents, and not someone who doesn't give half a shit about where you tuck in for the night.
>>
>>18696516
So you realize you have a permanent record for these sort of things, right?

Do you think anyone will look over your application when they see you took your landlord to court because you didn't feel like paying rent?
>>
>>18696534
Actually I didn't stall and procrastinate. I made a decision and stuck to it. I'm brave and decisive. A man of principle. Feels good.
>>
>>18696538
I'm ok with this. Reading these comments I'm actually glad I did what I did. If they really wanna take me to court over it, I'm fine with that. I might end up eating shit but I don't take it lying down. You could learn a thing or two from me.
>>
>>18696546
Lol, you're a manchild. You didn't want to pay your rent because it was too hard, and your 6 hour shift at whatever pizza place you call "work" was too draining, so you bailed on your responsibility all weekend.

I've been working 80 hours a week for a month, today is my first day off. I managed to pay rent on the 1st, and I don't have any hugbox app to do it with, either.

If you can't convince a handful of people on an anonymous image board that your hands were tied in this matter, do you actually expect to convince a judge? I can tell you're too young to realize this, but you're about to fuck up your living situation for the next decade, minimum, over an amount of money so insignificant that you couldn't spend it at taco bell.

>Capcha: exit find
Good idea
>>
>>18696557
Lol
Google "apartments in my area that accept evictions". Then ask your parents if they got rid of your stuff, yet.
>>
>>18696575

Bingo. God forbid anon ever gets a mortgage and has to write checks! IMAGINE THE HORROR!

Kids are fucked. Muh apps and muh internet, don't know how to pay for anything if it isn't done with a phone or an app or a card. My 23 year-old stepbrother can't write a fucking check and I had to teach him how to address an envelope ... at 21. Irony is all of this was laid out in OP's lease agreement. Or I'll lay it out for him easier:

>get a speeding ticket
>can I pay you now officer
>No you can't. You have to go to court.,
>But this is unfair and inconvenient to me.
>Go to court or pay the toll
>Anon decides to not go to court because they wouldn't take his money. It's inconvenient to him because they didn't give him a better option.
>Warrant filed for his arrest
>WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME?

Boy needs to grow up quick or move back in with his mother.
>>
>>18696575
sounds like you're just slaving to the system dude. grow a backbone.
>>
>>18696594
You sound like a grumpy old man who wasted his life working for someone.

>checks

oldguy confirmed
>>
>>18696602
>You're a slave!!
Because I honor my agreement to pay rent on time, Mr. Conviction?

Look dude, you asked us for advice, you got it. You asked if you were being a douche; you are. I don't give half a red fuck if some 19 year is doesn't understand what he's doing to his life. I did similar shit over a $130 ticket, once.

Three arrests, a year jail time, loss of license, $250 monthly SR22 insurance, and $10,000 in fines later, I'm on track to bring BACK TO SQUARE ONE. Don't even get me started on my buddy with an eviction under his belt, because he thought it wasn't that big a deal to miss a month or two of rent, either.

But hey dude you got it all figured out, fuck us, right?
>>
>>18696608

I own my own house. No more rent, no more nothing. It's paid outright. I sit around all day and do jack shit unless I just want to go do something. Worked for myself most of the time, but everyone has to start somewhere.

>>18696630

IT'S THE PRINCIPLE, CASH CHUCKER
>>
File: 1504719831145.png (145KB, 291x312px) Image search: [Google]
1504719831145.png
145KB, 291x312px
>>18696368
Bitch, do you expect a property management office to give the "most convenient" form of paying them for having your body in their building and if they don't you just don't owe them money? What kind of planet do you live on? You need to get your fucking head in the game of real life. Maybe this will wake you the fuck up. You could have gotten checks from the bank to pay (lots of people still do that on a regular basis). You could have paid early (you chose not to). You made bad decisions and YOU signed a contract showing you knew the consequences of paying late. Step up, be a man, and stop being a whiny little bitch and pay the people what you owe. For fuck's sake, this is the kind of shit that makes people hate our generation. Take some personal accountability and shut the fuck up. Or go to court, but it's going to cost you 4 times as much when you they take you there, win the case, and you're now on the hook for their time in court and their court fees. Welcome to life. Learn from this and get your finances in check you fucking pleb. You probably voted for Bernie too, didn't you, you little manchild fuck?
>>
>betting $110 on a $5 gain
Wew fucking lad. The absolute state of millennials.
>>
>>18696310
Yep. You're being a douchebag.
>>
>>18696689
>$110
He wants to take them to court, completely oblivious to the fact that whatever lawyer he hires will cost, without exaggeration, twice that much an hour.

Also, with such a weak defense, he's almost guaranteed to have to pay their lawyer costs, too.

So we're looking at OP paying $330 an hour, for at least six months, WHILE having to find AND pay for new living quarters.

How are you feeling about that money order, now, OP?
>>
>>18696717
You forgot the part where they are going to evict him, and he'll still owe them money.
>>
You don't have online banking, phone banking, simple debit banking, or mobile banking in the US?
>>
>>18696334
>dont pay the $110
>they charge you $5 a day because you didnt pay your entire rent for the month.
It would be the same thing as if you had shorted them $110 of the original fee without the late fee.
You signed a lease. You can argue that the service was down but they gove you time until you are actually late for you to realize maybe you should pay in cash just to be safe.
>>
File: 1504693306673.jpg (138KB, 980x1040px) Image search: [Google]
1504693306673.jpg
138KB, 980x1040px
>>18696735
We have all of those things, OP is just too much of a dumb fucking faggot to bother using them and thinks "paper checks are just for old losers, dude. I'm too cool for that shit." Meanwhile he's being evicted.
>>
>>18696735
We do, but then OP would've had to visit maybe TWO webpages instead of just one, and that would've seriously cut into his League of Legends idle time over the whole weekend.
>>
UPDATE:

Just talked to the property manager and she's gonna waive the late fees and see to it personally that my web account is fixed.

Feels nice to make a stand on something and win in the end. Sorry for all you guys who would've just driven 30 minutes in traffic and paid extra money. Fight for yourselves, bros.
>>
>>18696816
Wowee, pal. You really fought the hard fight for all 500 pennies.
>>
>>18696822
It's the principle ;^)
>>
>>18696830
Whatever you gotta tell yourself. Hope your apartment burns to the ground and you lose every one of your possessions tomorrow.
>>
>>18696842
Well hurricane Irma is coming through so it's quite possible my shit will be destroyed, but at least I'll have $115 more to buy new shit with.
>>
>>18696830
Oh boy, the principle. That sure does mean a much.

And most of us wouldn't have gotten ourselves in that position to begin with.
>>
>>18696816
Remember back at the beginning of the thread when I said,
>Most complexes will opt to make a tenant happy over an extra $100, because the net gain from having you stay there is way more.
You're like the person who brags about getting free soda at a restaurant. You asked if you were in the wrong, you were. Just because they didn't nail you with an eviction over being three days late with rent doesn't mean you weren't still in the wrong. Obviously they're not gonna go through the lengthy and tedious bureaucratic system over this, because unlike yourself, they are competent in what it actually entails. It's literally their job to make you feel like you walked in there and gave them the business, you fucking mark.

Also, you're still gleefully unaware that you have a permanent housing record, which now has "put up a big fucking stink about some dumb shit" in there forever. Also 2, none of us would've had to sit in traffic because we know how to write a check.
>>
>>18696858
I didn't get myself into a situation, they forced it upon me, and I fought back, and now it's fixed. Smiles all around.
>>
>>18696871
Good thing this is the last place I'm renting.
>>
>>18696877
You have no idea how right you are
>>
>>18696886
yo dude just be happy for my success rn.
>>
>>18696901
Congrats, you were a dumbass, and it didn't blow up in your face this time. I'm so happy for you.
>>
>>18696915
mad
>>
>>18696816
>make a stand
Making a stand would be to refuse to pay a fee they are charging you and sticking to your guns.
This was you just having an understanding landlord. If she had refused to accommodate you then you would have needed to make a stand. If you hadnt have asked at all you would be retarded. You are still retarded for not having an alternate payment method just in case you lose your card or it expires without you realizing.
>>
>>18696741
You don't need a paper cheque for any of those things. I'm not sure if any other country in the world still uses paper cheques.
>>
>>18696901
I am happy for your success. You have no idea how happy I am. Like I've been trying to make you understand, this could've blown up in your face in a huge fucking way.

I dug myself a financial hole that's taken WAY longer to get out of than it did to make, doing basically the exact same shit.

What I'm trying to impart to you, you dumb idiot, is that you should NOT expect this to be the way this turns out. You got lucky, like I expected, because it's not that big of a deal this time. But your attitude towards this whole situation is going to guarantee you find yourself in it again, and this trend will not continue.
>>
>>18696924
Dummy.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.