[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Math

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

Do you think it's possible for anyone to learn math? I finished high school without math and went straight to a fulltime job. Now I'm 27 and I've decided I want to go to university but I need to brush up on my basic native/english grammer and obviously math first. Some people have told me math requires a teacher in order to understand but I'd like to try it myself. Don't have the time/money for a teacher at this moment.

Another thing I've heard/read is that some people just are better at calculus/math naturally. Now I'm afraid I'm not one of those people. Take my father for example; he sees a calculation and within a split second he knows the answer. And he was like this as a kid. When I see the same calculation it takes me like 30 seconds or longer depending on the difficulty.

I'm from europe so sorry If my english is not that great. I hope my overall question is clear.
>>
>>18695335
Yes. Math is something anyone can learn. Sure, some people are naturally better at numbers and shit, but if you're not those people, who cares? Fuck those people. Math is a practiced skill built on the simplest shit, and the people who can do things quickly are people who do it constantly. It's not that he's doing the calculation that quickly, it's that he's probably got it memorized from doing it so much.

There's plenty of free math videos on YouTube that are excellent. Check them out if you really want to get better, but the tldr is simply the more you do it, the better you get. Don't think about "oh he can do it faster!" you'll never get anywhere like that.
>>
>>18695335
Check Coursera, edX, FutureLearn for Math Courses.

But before you do that, check Coursera for "Learning how to learn" that shit has made me realize how to properly learn and that literally changed my life for the better.
>>
>>18695534
>>18695510
Thanks for the replies. Good advice. Maybe the reason for me want to learn math is important. I'd like to get into the IT business; programming, software engineer, network security (for example). I have not decided between those yet but at least a basic form of math is needed for most of those.

I think my way of learning math will take longer because (I've started allready with basic stuff) when I encounter a problem sometimes it takes a while to find the answer. I guess you learn it better like that but it can be frustrating.

I'll check out the courses you mentioned aswell. Learning how to learn sounds interesting because I'm basically doing everything quite randomly it seems.
>>
Khan academy

You're welcome
>>
It depends on the IQ and skill set you were born with.

You don't need to go to a classroom to learn math, or most other subjects. Indeed, most of what there is to know is uploaded online, in the form of free lectures.

That said. I myself finished high school with little math too, and just cheated the parts I could. So I never learned it. Went to community college, didn't learn it from instructors that didn't know how to teach--or didn't care to. I shopped around for an easier way of finishing my algebra requirement, and I found a pre-statistics course and I did that. I'm now at a fairly prestigious four year university, majoring in education and minor in psychology, and I still don't know how to solve a polynomial or linear equation.

So the purpose of my anecdote was to tell you: yes. it's possible to not be able to learn math. And in my case, it was mostly just due to not being a math person and having sucky instructors.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.