[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ethnic studies teacher makes me feel uncomfortable

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

I need this class requirement to transfer and dont want to take summer class so I can take care of my mom who has a neck injury.
 My professor purposely ignores me when I answer correctly, he tells me "excuse me, say it again" and ignores my correct answers and tries to prove it wrong but awards other students who say the same exact thing as me. (I’m not exaggerating).
 He frowns and laughs at me as a joke when I greeted him and asked how was your day. Also laughed at me when I asked how was his labor day and looked at me like I was stupid. When I ask questions or to double check my notes I'm kind of mocked, one of my questions he got mad because I was curious about how another (Asian) ethnic group also acted during a certain time.

I really am for understanding everyone, but he makes a lot of extreme comments dealing with today's issues and says things to rile people up (I know, politics, it’s expected, but I feel like he really just goes too rough- where it’s very unfair to the other side, he generalizes and calls and alludes to them in a negative tone and what not)
 (I dont want to say it) and makes fun of the racial groups he talks about I want to drop this class but I'm not sure if I want to gamble- since other classes are kind of full and I may not have a spot- I pray there may be an open spot.. Though I'm afraid he might talk bad about me to other teachers, (it happened to me at my other school) I'm just thinking of just sticking with it and work hard to get a good grade but I have an experience in my high school where I got bullied by teachers like him (they would literally tell me to my face that I sucked). I honestly never want to have that again. Please give me your strength and wisdom. Sorry for the story. I hope you understand.
>>
>>18694673
If he actually mocks people based on an ethnic group they are part of, you can just report his ass to the school.
If you don't want to go that way, you can always just ignore the guy, he clearly doesn't like so just don't bother being a good student.
>>
i'm confused.
You say that he is treating you unfairly and saying nasty things about an ethnic group, I can pretty safely assume that since its an ethnic studies class he is talking about white people.
Ok, thats pretty bad, but then when you talk about how he treats other students you imply they answer the same way as you do.
Either you have the biggest douchebag of a professor in history, or you arent telling us something about how you and this professor got off on the wrong foot. If you are answering in a satisfactory manner that is consistent with how other students participate in the class there must have been something you said or did early on that set him off.
Not saying that he is right to do this by any means, he is still a huge douche, but you gotta give us more info.
>>
Hello,
Well, I'm not sure what I did wrong, I do always try to be polite, I listen, do the assignments. I one time accidentally said good morning instead afternoon by mistake and apologized. I kind of am a goof with that, but I was a bit nervous that day and kind of said that as a greeting. Yeah, pretty stupid on my part. But I guess he may be passionate and probably didnt hear what I said maybe? He has an ear aid I think but I'm not sure. I hope I'm just being paranoid. But thank you both for replying.
>>
give us the politics of it, don't worry about the being nice and not offending anybody crap, you're leaving out all the informative bits
>>
Well, he kind of talked about charlottesville, connected it with ethnocentrism, how it was happening now. Then talked about police brutality... you know? but I mean I dont know much about it either so. I thought it didn't need to be inserted but oh well, his argument kind of sounded a bit unfair. I personally believe to not generalize everyone under one thing. Maybe I'm just being a sensitive person? Please don't be mad. I just thought the class would bring peace and understanding to each other. But I just wanted to ask whether I should just go into another class. But thank you for taking your time.
>>
>>18694673
>he generalizes and calls and alludes to them in a negative tone and what not
This is normal for postmodernists.

>weird clip. There's missing "postmodernists think..." From the beginning for some reason.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ytX1EKa6F8I
>>
>>18694969
perhaps you only think he's being a dick? It could very well be in your own head if he singled you out for seemingly no reason.
If not though, I do feel very bad for you. I had a sort of similar situation but with a really far left feminist professor in a global justice course.
She was confrontational with me at points but she had enough integrity as a professor to not let it affect my grade.
Just keep your head down and do your work.
You'll prove to him and yourself that you are the bigger and much better person for being able to conduct yourself in a respectable manner.
If he keeps this up though consider talking to someone higher up about it.
>>
>>18694728
Not the first time i heard shit like this. There doesnt need to be any reason to treat any one student like shit. You have to get into the mind of a teacher. Theyre constantly on the spot by many people and expected to perform, they will respond to each faceless student very off the cuff. the guy probably isnt even aware of his bias.

Basically, just another spineless cuck going through the motions of being a teacher and totally giving up on being a valuable human being.
>>
Hello all again,
Thank you for your support, you really cheered me up, I'm glad I'm the only one who faced this. I thought I was some weirdo. I was feeling so sad because when he (professor) was shaking his head laughing at me, this girl in black lipstick laughed at me too. It really hurt because of how they both were just doing that in front of me- I wouldn't laugh at someone else if they said good morning by accident, or if they asked the professor to reiterate what they said.

I never even said anything against his opinion I just listened to what he had to say and if I dont understand something, I ask him to reiterate his point so I can write it down. I dont know, maybe I just look like an easy target or something, maybe they can tell I dont whole heartedly agree with him with some kind of aura?
He praises other students, and I know he heard me say the right answers but he ignores it. He also made fun of Christians as well :/
Not all Christians are mean...
>>
But this has happened to me in the past before too. I listen to them, I dont talk behind my teachers or doodle, I do my assignments, I write notes- but when I talk about helping other people and you know to be understanding- I was just told I was in lala land when I was younger... And when I wrote (I scored high, above average when my paper was scored internationally) my teachers said I was snobbish for using big vocabulary and told me to write more simple... Even when I put my best effort they would grade me with at most a B or if I wrote at a B level, a C...:(
I sometimes just wondered why some people pick on me. A girl once told me that some people are just jealous about how some people can be something they cant be.
Should I dress up with those new fashion trends to camouflage? Maybe I should look scary so they dont bother me. I'm just tired of being picked on, I never am mean to other people (maybe I might have been on accident? Perhaps I accidentally ignored them) but its just I dont know. There are good people and bad people in the world... I guess. :(
Im sorry you guys had to face what I am facing now. I watched the video and its just sad that people cant just talk normally. It reminded me how he also talked about subordinates and dominant races/ethnic group. He's talks about how he's half puerto rican and African American. But I feel like I did when I was with my teachers from before and its so scary. I dont want to be picked on. In my old school, it was like a game for them to make me cry, one teacher even ripped up my paper in front of everyone and they all laughed. I dont want him to trash talk me to other teachers.
My friends say im a very sweet person so I dont know whats wrong with me... But I mean they are friends, but still. I've noticed that people who proclaim themselves liberals just end up bullying others instead of listening to each other... :( But thank you all again for being so kind and understanding to me. I dont feel so alone anymore
>>
also, sorry for my miss type "not the only one"* instead of only one Dx
>>
>>18695114
Your teacher is a salty minority which makes fun of white christians? Color me surprised. Honestly I would report him and reevaluate what academic course you are taking if it requires such "education". I don't even mean to go full anti-SJW but people which focus so hard on their ethnicity will also probably not give you an honest view of history, meaning if you're american you're wasting hundreds of dollars on anti-[insert your ethnicity here] propaganda and financially sponsoring the wide missinformation of other people about your kin.

Had a similar teacher, although in my german class. Had some academic discussions with him on a topic, nothing personal, but he just exploded once he didn't had any arguments left to make his point in front of the whole class. Pretty pathetic.Since then he never noticed my participation anymore and has given me two grades lower on my graduation claiming I had never participated (although my papers always were top notch) - meanwhile another gril which never said a word without beeing asked to has gotten the best grade of the whole class because she always smiled to him and agreed with him. Such is the state of modern education.
>>
Is English your second language? I found it a bit hard to follow you. What country are you in? You should try to specify your country when requesting advice that may involve laws, regulations, bureaucracy etc.
>>
>>18695125
>my teachers said I was snobbish for using big vocabulary and told me to write more simple
Same here, been send to a psych doc because the school though I was retarded, results told I was just bored due to high IQ. Most of the teachers which thought I was retarded afterwards claimed I would only try to act like an adult and would intentionally use "big words" to impress them and make the other kids look stupid or that I would lie about having read a book in class while other were still reading or that my phantasy was lacking because I used realistic colors and shapes in art class when asked to draw animals. It's like our society hates success and gifted kids.

I honestly think those treachers simply realised that they were intellectually outgunned by a fucking 8 yo. It's just pure pathetic ego.
>>
What you're going through is the same as what people who aren't white Christians go through not only in daily life, work, etc but also in colleges that aren't in very specific liberal areas. So, no, you're not alone, but you'd be used to it if you were someone else.
The only way around it is to either complain to higher-ups (which will be difficult and at times terrifying, and probably do nothing), keep your head down and deal with it until you get the fuck out of that class, or try to switch classes/majors and hope the other teachers aren't as abrasive as him.
>>
>>18695160
>implying we're living in the 1960s were minorities are still treated like second class citizens instead of 2017 were minorities have it easier to get into any education, programm or job while having the law on their side, especially in europe with their hate speech rules which officially are not accepted if they go against natives

Seriously anon, I'm neither christian nor considered white by most whites, but if a teacher would make fun of my ethnicity that would be his last joke with a paycheck. I would only need to cry minority discrimination at that would be his career. White christians are still regarded like some ancient KKK monolith while soon beeing a minority in their homeland. White people are the least racist people on this planet, you would know if you would have ever been any where else.
>>
Hello again all,

I'm afraid to report him because he's a minority and where I am, its crazy liberal. (I think it is nice to be open to all, to listen to each other and what not but it's getting to a point where they are just singling out the opposite). Plus I'm a minority, (im asian) so they will think I'm just being some stupid idiot... I hope you dont think I'm stupid either, but I personally believe in not judging people by race but by character and that there is a jerk everywhere for sure- but there is a lovely person somewhere as well.
Also, Christianity is a universal religion, I mean besides some of the people who ruin it- it teaches us to love each other and to be kind to each other- and I personally think that part of Christianity is so sweet and kind. I believe in God so I was a bit sad to hear him make fun of them. I know other lovely religious people who just want to bring joy to others and... shockingly don't push Christianity onto those they meet.
But oh my gosh, I'm sorry to hear about your german class. That's so unprofessional. I can't be quiet in my class- he says participation counts. I was about to sit quiet though ahah. But that must have been horrible. Sometimes these 'feminists' just are making it harder for men and other women to respect their cause. Its good to make everyone feel like they can do anything they wish to achieve but dont trash talk others. I'm glad I atleast had the chance to be taught by my British teacher when I was younger, he always thought me and everyone else to always research and to be fair to everyone by being smart about facts as everything is in the grey.
>>
But.. my apologies, when I get emotional I type like a fool. English is not my second language.... I feel so ashamed now xD. I'm an American citizen. I went to a British school (I'm glad actually, they always wanted us to strive better- rather than this other school I went to with the teacher who ripped up my test paper). when I was young and we spoke with this certain dialect and prose (I knew another kid who was from britain who didnt go to my school who speaks similar to me, so I'm not alone on this ahah). Perhaps it may be that when I talk, I sound like a stuck up snob..? Though some people say I have a very soft voice. I honestly don't know. I probably am some sort of weirdo :( Please dont laugh at me...
Also, this class is a necessity in order to transfer... I could have taken U.S History, but as usual, they are all pretty biased. I just feel like crying, I guess I kind of am tearing up. I thought things were just getting better because I met some lovely people and my hard work was turning out into something... Except for this class...
I used to have a lovely friend from Virginia and she used to tell me how people would make fun of her for her beliefs. (Ironically, she's way more understanding than the liberals ah-ha!) We do joke a lot about that :)

Also, thank you all to the bottom of my heart, I was feeling like an absolute outcast wondering if something was wrong with me.
>>
>>18695230
>minority against minority
Sadly, asians are regularly discriminated, mostly due to having better grades and therefore having lower changes of getting anywhere because (((equality))) and (((diversity))) quotes require perfect grades while blacks can pass barely even graduating. It's again, the envy and hate for the, lets be honest, better individuals.

And regarding christianity (me beeing an atheist) you have only look to what happens in egypt or turkye to christians and how quite the west is about this genocide to know that it's also hate for what made america great, a specific kind of values, homogenity and meritocracy.

Can you you go for a trade? I mean, most people don't actually need an academic title if you aren't going into STEM or law.
>>
>>18695261
Further, you can get probably better historic education from old school classical reading lists which you find on the web than academia at this point (check out for example "from dawn to decadence"). Academia was there to give people acces to all this, but the internet has given you the same chances, or even betetr ones considering that most of what comes out from academia at this point is one-sided propaganda.
>>
And actually, if I look at it, some asians even pick on me LOL. But you know, sure there are jerks everywhere of course, but many Caucasians/white people I have met have been very kind and dear to me (my teachers at my British school and many others were 100% inspirational!) I knew one boy at my old school, he was from texas... He was just one of the few boys at the school who treated me like I was something special, he was so kind to me and offered his chair for me in jewelry class... The other kids (boys and girls) would make fun of me but he would carry heavy things for me at community service (he was so chivalrous) and I was so proud of him when he was accepted into the engineering club, water polo team, and MUN. But then he drowned. His own family had to find him in the pool of my school and no lifeguard came to save him. He was there for 6 hours. I'm sorry this is so random but I just want to pour my heart out. I haven't really talked about this to anyone because I didn't want to mourn like those fake kids at my old school. I want to remember and cherish his memory forever. I'm just am so sad that he's gone. He was so sweet to me. I'm so sorry for typing like an idiot, but I was just feeling so alone and powerless... But having you all talk to me like I have a real opinion thats not stupid means so much. Thank you all again, truly. But I hope you dont hate me for being an Asian.
>>
>>18695293
>But I hope you dont hate me for being an Asian.
White ethno-nationalist here, not even I hate anybody due to beeing X. I might give you some friendly banter about mathematical equations and you people beeing soulless automatons which like to eat pets, but that's not serious stuff.
In my experience people who call themselves socialy just and condemn such jokes are usually those which will backstab you for beeing something instead of doing something.

Your teachers are just shit, nomatter their or your ethnicity. Try to grow on it and leave them far behind you. They are sad and pathetic and missusing their academic power over pupils is the only thing which makes them will superior.
>>
Hello again,
Im so sorry for typing so out of whack and at such weird time intervals, but my dream was to go into the medical field and help veterans of our country.
(Yeah you can make fun of me, but I remember when my papa had cancer and I just so dearly wanted to talk to the doctor to save him, and when they did I was so happy. I want to save other people, and I know how hard it is that veterans face the tough waters for us so I want to help them). I know I sound like a stupid dreamer, my teachers before said I wasn't going to amount to anything, and that I was in La-La Land, but I want to help people so they never ever feel sad or unhealthy. (maybe I can be a therapist? :D)
But yes, unfortunately, some people just focus on one main aspect of a group and paints the rest of them in negative light.
I tried to go with biology, but (can you believe it) this chinese chemistry teacher from Texas A&M was always trying to make it seem super complicated like she wanted us to be stupid and not know. Half this kids dropped, few failed.
I know its like, what type of Asian doesn't know Chemistry! At my old school, my teachers got the job through connections and would just post the powerpoint for 5 minutes and expect us to get a tutor. I wasn't from the rich top class kids here, I spoke against them (their families dealt with ... some business, so me talking about charity was pretty bad) These children told me "you have to be a bad b*tch to get what you want" and these kids whose parents worked at the UN didnt even care about humanitarian work. It was horrible and outrageous and depressing that these kids would talk like that while they would sing a whole story of themselves with UN parents. The counselors at my old school talked really badly about me to the schools in the US so..
But yes! I do read some old british academia that I looked up online, its way less biased if you have some US links that would be wonderful.
>>
also, I just want to say again, you all are so amazing and just so kind to me I never thought you people would be so kind and understanding, as well as open to what I have to say... You have no idea what this means to me. I've been picked on all my life by different people of different backgrounds and I just was feeling so alone. (I know I say that a lot, but its true, I really did feel alone, and it broke my heart)

But yes, math jokes, I dont mind those. But we dont pets, oh no. Maybe some people do, but majority of people I meet dont eat pets xD. In fact we looove to spoil our pets <3 I love little birds and creatures they are so cute and lovely...

But thank you so much for giving me confidence, I was just feeling like a loser before, but thank you being so kind to me, after so many people telling me I'm weird and what not, after being picked on for so dearly long... you have no idea how much you really are making me happy. Thank you, truly, God bless your soul. I hope you meet lovely people such as yourself daily.
>>
>>18695315
Well, if you fail at high school level chemistry it's probably not the fault of your teacher. Just saying, maybe you're really not bright enough to study medicine, especially as an asian you will have to be the best of your class to get into this field.

All in all you sound very young an naive. It's nice and all that you want to help people, but maybe you would be better suited for beeing a nurse or something like that. It's a hard pill to swallow, but we can't all be lawyers, physicians and mad scientists. Most of us are barely good enough to help those out.
>>
Also, to the anon who was deemed "retarded" and sent to a psych doc. I am so dearly sorry that happened to you. I hate how people just want to crush other people who want to strive to be the person they can be. I understand how you feel, and I just want to tell you that I am so proud of you (yeah so much for me to say, I literally breaking down) you are such an amazing person to be standing tall against those rude and cruel people. I hope you continue to strive the best and prove all wrong.
Also to the others who cheered me on, thank you, bless your kind souls. I know I'm saying thank you a lot, but I really, truly mean it.
>>
Also, hello, I didn't fail chemistry in highschool (thank heavens) I got a B+. I still am on shaky grounds with it sadly... but yeah, its really heart breaking, its all I ever wanted to try to be... I hope I can try, q-q I just hear about some doctors being so rude to their patients I didn't like that happening. But yeah... I dont want to whine if it doesn't turn out as so. Maybe I can be a nurse or therapist. However, that is true, I have to be the best... it's so ridiculously competitive which makes me want to cry. But I mean, it is an important profession with great responsibility.

But yeah :( I just want to work hard to achieve my dream.
>>
I guess I am naive maybe... I don't know what to think of myself now..

is my naivety the reason why people pick on me perhaps?...

:(

I must sound so silly and foolish.
>>
>>18695381
Maybe. You sure don't sound mature, rather young and reading your cmplains, repetition and silly smilies you even sound a bit below average intelligence. Chance it if you can.
>>
>>18694673
I'm a teacher and I just want to raise the small possibility that you might be misreading him and the class.

The fact is that in many non-science areas, the teachers take pains not to ask questions that have simple "right" and "wrong" answers, but rather ones that are thought-provoking. And students are measured, not by correct and incorrect, but by the evidence they give of well-thought-through answers.

So very often what may seem to you like "The other student said the same thing I did and got more credit" may actually be "I gave a simple, surface-level answer and the other student made the same general point but with more awareness of its nuances or complexities"
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.