[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I feel horrifically unaccomplished. I wish I was good enough

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

File: 1504052360282.jpg (172KB, 940x940px) Image search: [Google]
1504052360282.jpg
172KB, 940x940px
I feel horrifically unaccomplished. I wish I was good enough at something to be impress people and be able to say I'm advanced, but I'm not good at anything. Foreign languages, writing, programming, hell, even video games which I've wasted years of my life on I'm not particularly great at.

Just for once I wish I could say I've mastered something in my life.
>>
File: 1499825087779.jpg (130KB, 366x488px) Image search: [Google]
1499825087779.jpg
130KB, 366x488px
ok
>>
That's patently not true or else you'd be busy at trying to master something.

So accept that you're a shitlord like the rest of us, just trying to keep yourself entertained until you die.
>>
>>18693799
>Just for once I wish I could say I've mastered something in my life
Then pick something that interests you and destroy it
Don't get me wrong, some people are born with natural advantages and likely whatever you choose to git gud at you'll likely never be in the top 1% but crying about it isn't going to get you shit.
>>
>>18693799
Ah, I feel you. The key is to just commit to one thing. Have you been dabbling or actually delving into specific things for long periods of time? Video games aside. It's like...great artists. Most of them only got to where they are cuz they put in insane amounts of time and passion into their craft. It's less about mastery, an end-goal, and more about getting better and better.

Also foreign languages are badass but imo are a waste of time. And programmers are usually fairly mediocre--just serviceable mediocre so they can make what they need.
>>
>>18693823
>Also foreign languages are badass but imo are a waste of time.

Why's that?
>>
>>18693823
Also, treating it as "mastery" is overwhelming and also leads you to value the wrong things...i.e., being able to brag about it. You stick to something because you enjoy the thrill of the hunt. And you don't, so here you are. Without any one "thing." Unfortunately, passion can only be made with time, not sparked to life ASAP.
>>
You only get good at new skills with practice, at least a few months. It's good if you can indulge in it for a year or two, to be pretty good at it. This is statistically true, luck and talent don't enter into it at all when you look at the figures (ie. no world class Hockey players were born in decent, but 80% were born in Jan-May, they get given more practice time). It's pretty easy to prove it yourself too (try 6 months of chess).

You are probably better than average at video games. The issue there is that you can just sleep-walk through them and always feel "ok", that's why they hook everybody. You can reach new levels of skill if you really pay attention to the technical details of the game (bullet sprays etc) and whatever else is involved. This goes for anything you're complacent with.
>>
>>18693843
> born in decent
meant December.
>>
>>18693828
Well, for one thing you won't really ever be able to put into practical use.

>translation jobs: impossible. You have to commit 6+ years to intensive learning to get that far
>travel: you won't be able to do it forever. It's only temporary and you gotta ask yourself "do I really want to spend so much time learning another language just for novelty's sake? Just for a few nice experiences?"
>effectively, the time cost of learning a foreign language is extremely high. Unless you happily replace your "Fun Time" (i.e., gaming) with it, engaging in it could be better spent elsewhere
>i.e., with a hobby that's actually productive in the short-run AND long-run

Oh
>and if you suck at it, it's even stupider to try learning a foreign language
>dubious whether or not it'll enrich your life
>>
>>18693823
I'm not OP, but the idea that >>18693816 expressed really bothers me. It really upsets me that I'll never be one of the best at anything. There are child prodigies who can do anything I try better than me, who already have years of experience over me, and would be geniuses by the time they're my age, while it's doubtful that I can ever become as good as they are even if I try my whole life, let alone surpass them.
>>
>>18693866
Basically anybody can learn a foreign language and it's a fun activity that is apparently good for the brain. It's just a matter of commitment and having good language partners to correct you and help you along, and if you're American trying to learn a European language good luck because Europeans hate your guts.
>>
>>18693969
Americans are generally frowned upon in most countries to be honest, not just those, and is the so-called brain-boost really that significant compared to other activities that may do the same? Anyways, if someone does prefer the learning over time-wasters like games and shows, then that's great...though I wouldn't recommend it to someone trying to "master" something for self-improvement's sake because their knowledge will will almost always be mediocre.

Wait, are you OP?
>>
>>18693912
Yeah, it's not really good to think about child prodigies. They're like needles in the haystack and often end up being crushed by the weight of what they imagine people expect of them.
There's that and this interesting effect...

>not trying but amazing
>continue to not try
>their growth slows compared to other people that try
>by adulthood, the so-called geniuses are mediocre and have no idea what the fuck happened
>often experience severe guilt over losing their talents
>in the meanwhile the ones who spent their time wisely and used their discontent to fuel their improvement got gud

This happens more often than you think. There's natural geniuses, but they usually don't last long. You know what does? Self-made geniuses. The ones who work smart and hard.
Of course that isn't to say that there's a ton of amazing people that were child prodigies. However, it's usually because their passion was cultivated along with their talent...and desu this is so fuckin rare that it's still not worth thinking about. The point more is that child geniuses often fail--their own genius cripples them. So, feeling bad because of them is kinda silly.

I also want to say that wanting to be the best is a cute anime trope but not healthy. When someone gets to a certain skill level, like in writing, programming, music, and art, it's less about being the best and more about the unique way in which you convey your ideas. Being the "best" doesn't really matter in reality...isn't like anyone can agree on what's the best.
>>
>>18694025
Yeah, I am OP. I'm one of those people who thinks that everybody can benefit from a foreign language in some way and I'm kind of put off by the Anglophone apprehensions towards it, but at the same time I've never really gotten anywhere satisfactory with languages and I'm too shy to look for language partners who are actually helpful. So whatever.
>>
>>18694334
Huh, interesting. You're moping about talent but here we are with a palpable and fixable issue: you being too shy to find a partner and progress. Language learning is about making connections, that's where ALL of the value comes from (be it intellectually or socially), so...you should realize how silly you're being here. "everyone can value from foreign language" is absolute shit unless you can overcome the barriers to learn.

Well, on the plus side, you still could be pretty ok at foreign language if you get over yourself. There's plenty of online services that'll connect you to language partners.
>>
>>18694417
Sure, but that doesn't explain everything. I honestly hate mediocrity. I would personally rather be hilariously terrible than mediocre.
>>
>>18694429
So you just want to stand out in some way?
>>
>>18694441
I guess. I mean if it comes right down to it I would rather be really good at something because that would be personally fulfilling to me, but if I were really terrible at something at least I would be remembered and be pitied. Nobody cares about the middle of the road.

Anyway, my biggest problem is when I look at people who do these very intricate things that they clearly know inside-and-out and it's hard for me to even keep up with them. I don't know anything that well, I'm not really, really good with anything. Just okay, at best. I've winged it my whole life. Jack of all trades, master of nothing. I hate that, I want to be truly great at something but how could I ever be at this point?
>>
>>18694495
Where does your being a faggot come from because it's so strong that I can practically taste it
>>
>>18693799
what makes you think you ought to be great? cry a river and build a bridge. you'll learn some skills in the process.
>>
>>18694500
are you OP? I made a nicer version for him
>>18694501

the gay people I've met seem to be doing alright btw they don't cry over thots
>>
>>18694500
>>18694504
I'm just pointing something important out to you. No one can expect another "I haven't accomplished things" /adv/ post to be life-changing, especially if it's a cozy comfortable time.
>>
Op u need to start working out and keep a journal to make sure ur pushing urself more everytime. This will teach discipline and acco plishment
>>
>>18694583
Can't really do intense workouts anymore but thanks anyhow.
>>
>>18693799
The reason you haven't gone off and mastered any sort of craft is because you just want to impress people. You're not actually passionate enough about anything to put in the years of effort it takes to become great.

Great artists are not concerned with whether laymen are impressed. They're not even concerned with being masters, they're usually only heralded as such long after they die.
>>
>>18694690
>because you just want to impress people

That's not really it. It's a nice feeling but that's not the whole reason or even half of it. I just want to be fucking GOOD at something in my life, I want something to be proud of but I have nothing.
>>
>>18694703
okay but how to you expect to be good at something without putting the work in?
>>
Pick up an obscure hobby, odds are you'll be the best at if no one else you know is doing it to compete.
>>
File: existential crisis.jpg (40KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
existential crisis.jpg
40KB, 1280x720px
>>18694460
Erm. Have you tried art? Art is great to suck at...you can be hilariously terrible and still strike a chord with people if you're really putting your soul on the page. Take Pepe. Hate him or not, but he's famous like all sorts of awkwardly drawn memes or comics. You can be mediocre, but in some cases earnest feelings and mediocrity can inspire people in some way.

And just please get over the shyness thing. You care a lot about foreign language so you owe it to yourself to do so.
>>
Anon says "hard work" and you focus on "I want to be good and I don't want to brag". Any reason why you're avoiding talking about how much work you've actually put into the many things you've dabbled in?
>>
>>18693799
at this point you will never be the best at anything or even close maybe. I was stupid D-C student, I studied though the sad, unbearable reality that I am slow and I will never get things as fast as others. I now go to univ.

I was 150 pounds overweight and really just lame and sad. I hit the gym with nothing but youtube for help. I now rock climb for univ. and go on trips for comps. I am happy, but I was not before I put in the work. I now have mental issues due to my excessive use of drugs to enhance my performance. I took an extreme route but I didnt care about myself anyway.

Get gud or die trying. are you a warrior? It is time to stop moping and GET MAD! mad that you are weak and no one wants to help you. just go get what you want and dont say shit. you'll be better off. you dont have to prove anything but your resilience
>>
File: 1503396565541.png (102KB, 346x340px) Image search: [Google]
1503396565541.png
102KB, 346x340px
>>18694982
>at this point you will never be the best at anything or even close maybe
>>
>>18695116
Are you OP?
>>
>>18695164
naw but i'm kind of feeling like him
>>
Nice Kumiko.
>>
>>18695116
>cherry picks the negative and misses the point
how do you expect to feel better without working your ass to the bone? there is no ez way to say it. stop with the feels and get to work. you are running out of time
>>
>>18694982
are you on drugs like right now?
>>
The longer you take bitching about how hard it is to master something the longer its going to take for you to master anything. If it were easy everyone would be great at something.
>>
>>18693799

A) Figure out what you want to do with yourself in general and develop a goal of high achievement based on or approximate to that desire. You have to want to do something, in order to do it right and do it exceptionally, so make your special accomplishment something that you should be working on anyhow as part of your future plans (i.e., I need x level of fitness to be eligible for this job, so I should improve my fitness). In the process of improving your fitness, you may develop a passion for a particular exercise, and gaining a passion for something is a great way to start getting exceptionally good at it.

B) Set a goal that more near term. "mastery" is a far flung goal that will only discourage you when you contrast the goal with your progress. Focus on a reasonable stage of progression and work on that. (i.e, I'm not gonna even think about being able to run a marathon until I can at least average a half marathon.)

C) Make your goal or talent something that is objectively useful. It'll be easier to stick to a talent if the process of working on it is improving your life along the way.(ie. I can't run a marathon yet, but I'm feeling and looking healthier day by day.)

D) Make your goal something that you can be genuinely be proud of. If your talent or skill doesn't impress you, you're not gonna be able to impress anybody else if you do git gud at it.
>>
>>18698229
Thanks
>>
File: latest.png (710KB, 1131x645px) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
710KB, 1131x645px
This is the result of people reproducing for the sake of "passing on their genes". Too many people creates no value of human life. People who only have kids for the sake of passing on their genes should just stop. It creates a cycle of no real accomplishment.

No wonder were all stuck with no feeling of value there are millions of us easily replaced slaves. We live on to spread more of our genes like midges.

Instead of teaching people that having kids is the most imporant thing we should teach that mastering skills by trying is the most. We give up because the easier things in life are what people value.

So are you going to not do anything and just pass on your genes just to say uou accomplished something?

Or will you work hard and create something for yourself so that if you do have kids you wont be one of those fucks who give up on everything.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.