[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dying Cat

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

My cat is dying. I spent an hour petting her, but she wouldn't even purr or close her eyes, so I decided to leave her alone for now. Is this the right choice?

And yes, she is 100% dying. She's 17. I don't want to talk anymore about this. Thank you.

(I also posted on /an/ but I need to know now. She will almost certainly be gone by Monday evening.)
>>
>>18687520
I've buried so many pets
We fucked them up with domestication
Easy food
In their natural habitat they'd have died years ago

Love them and then take away their pain
They don't understand like we do. All they feel is pain. There is no "I am old, so this is normal".

Put her down. It's ok. She lived a great life of you loving her
>>
>>18687531
>Put her down.
There's no where to take her on a Sunday night or on Labor Day to get her put down, unfortunately. Any death I could give her at home would be long and violent. She'd spend her last moments panicked that I'd turned so viciously on her. I don't think she's an extreme pain.

But I want to know if I should spend a lot of time with her or let her rest as much as she can. I think petting her keeps her awake and she doesn't even purr when I do it.

I just want to make the right choice for her.
>>
>>18687520
Important: just because your cat is old and not moving much doesn't mean she's dying at this very instant. Think of old humans - they don't do much because they don't have the energy. It's normal. (Had to type this because a lot of people with animals are stupid and ya never know.)

If your cat is dying, make her comfortable. Keep her food and water bowls near her (who are you to say she can't eat or drink anything in her final moments?). Keep her area comfortable.

Important: you have an older cat and older cats don't keep warmth very well. If it's cool at all, make sure she has a warm place to rest.

>The best thing you can do for your cat as she nears death is to offer her a peaceful exit.

>Consider saying goodbye properly.
If your cat is near her end, it's hard to say if she'll be able to notice your motions, but emotionally, a proper goodbye on your part will help you in the long-run. If you spend any time with her in her final moments, speak in a calm and low manner, repeating her name.

>"Is this the right choice?"
We all handle death and the loss of our furbabies differently. You don't have to do anything other than what you can and want to do. You should ask yourself, "will I be happy after she's gone and I'm looking back on this moment if I leave her to rest in peace? Or will I be more happy after she's gone and I'm looking back if I say goodbye?" There is no "right" answer.
>>
>>18687547
Stop thinking along the lines of "if I could give her a more immediate death."

>But I want to know if I should spend a lot of time with her or let her rest as much as she can. I think petting her keeps her awake and she doesn't even purr when I do it.
If she isn't in pain when you pet her (it will be noticeable and you can handle it emotionally, spend time with her in ways you have in the past, but *gently*.
>>
>>18687566
She can't walk and won't eat or drink. I've tried all day. She'll do nothing more than sniff it, and won't swallow when I try to get her to drink with a syringe. I even cooked chicken for her twice today. Yesterday, she pooped in the living room and it was like bile, and today has dry heaved every few hours. She's laid in the same spot all day. Until today, at the recommendations of our vets, I'd feed her 3-5 cans of food a day because she was so skinny and struggled to put on weight, and even then, she kept wasting away. Now she's just skin and bones. When I pet even her thighs, all I could feel was fur and bone.

I've called several vets in the area, and those a long drive away, and there's nothing they can do.

Thank you, everyone. I would reply more meaningfully but I'm very tired and distraught.
>>
>>18687620
You didn't need to explain. I just needed to make that statement because I've seen too many people have no idea what's going on with their pets. You obviously are more than well-aware, unfortunately.

No one gives a fuck about the quality of your response, your emotional health and you furbaby's last moments are what's important. I think you should say goodbye, pet her on the head and shoulders gently, then go to sleep. If you need to torrent an adorable disney movie and watch that to fall asleep.
>>
What can I do about the crushing feeling of helplessness?

I can't even get her to purr. She will never be happy again, and I won't get to hear her purr one last time. I love her so much and it doesn't even change anything. It's so futile.
>>
>>18688083
Best you can hope for is her peace, remembering the good life you gave her even if her final days are here. No living thing that experiences the act of dying as their body shuts down will feel happiness. I'm learning this right now--but with my dad. He maybe has a few days at most left on this earth, but he can still tell us what he's experiencing.

It's not pain, or sorrow, or regret -- just pure exhaustion. Cancer consumed all it could consume and now he's just tired and ready to let go. Most my experiences with my old pets were similar-- when a living body slowly shuts down, it does so in a logical and humane manner as to remove most pain and desires like hunger and thirst before organs individually begin failing, ending with the heart.

I say pet and love your cat. She may no longer can show appreciation, but for if it helps your wellbeing and comforts you it's worthwhile.
>>
>>18688655
Thank you. I'm so sorry for your upcoming loss. I can't even begin to imagine what you must be going through.

As for my cat, she died about an hour and a half ago. I was going to take her to an emergency vet a few hours away to see if there was anything that could be done and if not, to euthanize her, but she was in too ad of shape for me to take her on such a long trip. I called someone to have her euthanized at home, but she died about half an hour before she arrived.

It was about as peaceful as it could have been. We spent her last hours together. The doctor got me two packets of her fur, and a cast of her paw, and I'm getting her ashes later this week.

I love her more than words can express.

Thank you, folks. Your words have comforted me and allowed me to do what was best for the both of us. I'm sorry I can't individually reply right now, but you've been a blessing. Thanks again.
>>
>>18689098
I'm sorry for your loss, my deepest and most heartfelt condolences anon. At least you got to spend the final hours with her, which is something any loving pet owner would wish for, and she must've felt safe, loved and at peace, with you right there.
>>
>>18689098
Just imagining what your're feeling is making me teary. But you can rest now. She's at peace now and you did very well. You gave her the best possible life and death, the most comfort possible and unconditional love. Even mummy cats don't care about their young when they've grown up. You were better than a mummy cat to her, and she felt it and was happy.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.