[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Education, trades, and careers advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7

File: 1504371519937.png (858KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1504371519937.png
858KB, 1280x1280px
Great success in last thread. Let's help those that are younger than us (or older trying to make a change) choose their careers or give general advice to those that are unsure and trying to find their path in life or generally get one another into positions to better their lives and those around them.

Let's talk options and advice on
>Universities and college (Bachelor's, masters, and PhDs) life and experiences
>Medical careers
>Law careers
>Trades
>Military careers
>Agriculture and forestry
>Minimum wagecucks
>Government (local and national)
>Police and firefighting
>Freight (train, ship, aircraft, or truck)
>Transportation (pilots)
>Stock market careers
>Freelance work or writing
>Self employment/business owners
>Those that don't want to be NEETs anymore

Help your fellow anons out.

Let's do some good and help each other on to the right paths for us.
>>
How do I get rid of my anxiety about attending college? I'm shooting for a bachelors, and getting into ROTC, but I'm having this awful fear of letting myself fail, getting discouraged, etc
College isn't that hard.. is it?
>>
I'm a bio major who wants to go to med skool. Am I doing the right thing here?
>>
>>18687563
You are but how are you separating yourself from the other bio major applicants for medschool?
>>
>>18687502
Yes, it is hard. But not the material, the lifestyle.
>>
>>18687563
If you're in the US, how do you feel about 24 hour residency shifts? And a rapid move towards replacing the physician-patient roles with PAs and NPs?
>>
>>18687563
Consider Physician Assistant.
>>
>>18687585
>>18687587
Hivemind
>>
>>18687590
I literally switched from med to law after graduating just because of how many MDs warned me about their fading relevance, lowered pay, constant bureaucracy and immense workloads. Especially starting out.
At least with law my job IS the bureaucracy
>>
>>18687583
Well, what should I be doing? It's only my first year.
>>
File: IMG_2092.jpg (39KB, 380x260px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2092.jpg
39KB, 380x260px
>>18687616
Literally beg your professors for a research position. 90% of applicants accepted have some kind of undergraduate experience. SHADOW. Look up the recommended hours. It should be around 400 total with half being "patient interaction hours"
WHILE SHADOWING you should be networking with the MDs there. Establish meaningful relationships or mentorships with the MDs. ALSO with your professors. Consider being hired as a lab assistant for prep in your biology labs. PLAN OUT you're getting letters from. 3 minimum from professors, PhDs and tenured if you can. And above all keep your science and math gpa above 3.5 and total above 3.75 MININUM. If you start really dropping consider that you might need to do a masters program/post bac but ONLY IF you are dedicated enough.
I thought I was, but now I'm just a directionless husk. You have time, good luck anon.
>>
>>18687635
>>18687616
When I said shadow I meant both shadow and volunteer. These have to be in relevant positions. Free clinics are great, try your damnedest to find a teaching clinic that has a connection to a medical school. Make impressions on admissions board members through being personable and a hard worker. Above all do NOT burn out.
>>
>>18687635
How far into the first semester should I start asking for a research position? Shadowing? Or should I spread all of this throughout the entire 4 years?
>>
>>18687643
Not the same guy, but you need 2-3 letters of recommendation from science professors whose labs you were in, and 1-2 letters from physicians.
>>
>>18687643
Start now. What kind of school are you at? If it's one with little undergraduate research opportunities then you're going to have to apply to summer REU programs. Google those. Ask your current professors what it takes to get a position. You should plan on doing all these things for all 4 years. Starting in the spring is most realistic for you as far as research goes. If you're not used to talking to professors like they're your peers and not your detention proctor you need to change that ASAP because the first in person discussion you have with them is critical. Best way to feel out your bio department is to ask a professor who might be looking for new lab members. Also don't limit yourself, if you do psych research or chem that's fine. You just need SOME research experience, getting published is not necessary but does help you stand out.
>>
>>18687659
No, I deffo have plenty research at my uni so I'm good w that, just need to ask the profs. Aside from this and what other posters said to increase my chances, would minoring in something also make me stand out?
>>
>>18687671
You could minor in Chem. Or biochem. Or French. It don't matter none. Best way to stand out is to meet the requirements. Seriously so few people will ever truly be able to enter med school it's ridiculous. The average age of matriculation is upwards of 24 now. Don't overthink this. Get good grades. Volunteer, shadow, letters, research, mentors. totally forgot but very relevant, join some student orgs. Fun ones and maybe a serious one too.
Best advice I have for you is to surround yourself with kind and smart people going in the same direction as you. None of this will matter if you hang around depressed downers who take you with them. If medicine is what you really want to do, latch onto the top performers in your class and study with them. They'll be strewn about those student orgs. Since you're bio join BBB, it's an honor fraternity.
>>
File: 1501539476911.jpg (41KB, 540x532px) Image search: [Google]
1501539476911.jpg
41KB, 540x532px
>>18687077
What college major and career path would you suggest to someone who is only adept at humanities? I don't want to be a lawyer, and business school requires you to be good at math. Help guys.
>>
>>18687685
>business
>math
Lel. Dude most business degrees that aren't accounting or finance have little to no math in them. It's all about communication and planning. Then again accounting and finance is where the money is so RIP. Maybe consider the eternal trap of proffesordom?
>>
Trying to move from South FL to East MIssouri, currently working at 4.25 per hour. What can I do to improve my chances of going? rent there is at a immensely better deal, and going there will run me about 252 without any belongings. If I do move there, I lose a scholarship, but I dont think I'll make it if i stay here. What do?
>>
Can anyone give advice to me to pass onto my brother who wants to become an engineer.
He's not going to university this year, but has grades good enough to get into a decent university next cycle. However, he has been offered a two year apprenticeship which also gives him some sort of qualification at the end.

Is this a good way to get into the industry or should he pursue university?
>>
>>18687701
What's the apprenticeship in? Couldn't he do that and then study engineering later if he still wants to? There would be a lot of advantages to doing things that way
>>
File: 1503337818109.jpg (834KB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
1503337818109.jpg
834KB, 1944x2592px
>>18687690
From what I've heard it is extremely difficult to become a professor. My other interest is psychology and you need a doctorate for that. That would probably mean spending my entire 20s at school making almost nothing. Fuck. Maybe Journalism but you still make shit money there.
>>
>>18687706
Social work maybe? Living off the governments dollar? AVOID journalism
>>
>>18687724
Maybe. I want to avoid the government dime though and Social Work is a bit of an SJW profession. Why avoid journalism?
>>
Anons, I'm sad here.

I'm eighteen, I graduated HS early when I was 17 and since then I've been fucking around as an undecided major in college.

I feel that because of simple supply and demand and how college is so normalized that I go to college I'm going to not be anyone that matters unless I attend a top 100 University, and for some careers, top 20.

I hated highschool so I simply got by with Cs so at this point I feel like I fucked my entire life up, that I'll make nothing for after wasting the best four years of my life.

Can anyone give me some hope or some insperation or insight on what to do?

I hate blue collar work so a tradesman is out of the question.
>>
>>18687767
fix your reddit spacing and maybe i'll help.
>>
>>18687769
on mobile, it's late senapi !
>>
>>18687769
I really don't get the >le reddit spacing meme. It makes it easier to read. What's so fucking outrageous about that?
>>
>>18687502

Its not that hard, but you will have to study a bit and complete assignments on time. Its not like high-school where you can skate by just paying attention in class.
>>
Concentrate on your Associates, for now. That'll give you time to decide where you wanna go, from there.
>>
>>18687767 Concentrate on your Associates, for now. That'll give you time to decide where you wanna go, from there.
>>
So I'm not american but from reading about it on different threads here and on /sci/ it seems taht you have a different system than in Europe. Can someone just give a short prefieng on like how the system works? Like you're done with highschool, what now? What's the difference between college/university, minor/major, bachelor/master, how does GDP work etc.
>>
>>18687845
Jesus ignore the shit spelling/grammar, just woke up
>>
>Military fag here,, Navy
>Don't do it

Quality of life for branches

Air Force-->Navy---->Army------------------->Marine Corps

I'm a Navy Corpsman so I'm stationed with Marines. Shit sucks yo.
>>
>>18687845
I'm a chemist. In the US, you go to undergrad get a chemistry degree. This bachelor's allows you to be a tech or reactor operator or device builder. Not fancy not much responsibility not much upward advancement depending on the company.

Then you typically apply to go directly to a PhD. A masters is picked up along the way in the form of qualifying exams but you don't get the degree if you pass, you just become a PhD candidate, only getting a masters if you quit.defending successfully makes you a PhD.
>>
File: Borklift.jpg (42KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
Borklift.jpg
42KB, 480x480px
Hi anons, I recently decided to quit my last job because working there violated a non compete clause that I signed at my prior job. Lawyer told me to btfo so I quit, deciding it's not worth the thousands of dollars of litigation.

Yesterday I woke up, dressed sharp, and went down to a reputable car dealership in response to an ad they posted on craigslist. Filled out an application and got an interview on the spot that I was not expecting. Needless to say, the guy offered me a job and expects me to be there to give him an answer on Tuesday.

Look, one of the most important things for me right now is getting my bachelor's in either computer sci, software engineering, or electrical engineering, leaning towards compsci though. Either way, I'm really wanting to work for Starbucks to take advantage of their college partnership with ASU, where they almost completely pay for your tuition. I love coffee, I am well qualified to be a barista, and am more than willing to put the 4 yrs. in with them to get my online degree through ASU, which, mind you is a great online school.

Only problem is that there is no guarantee that the three Starbucks stores in my area will hire me... I see them going through workers like crazy, so I think it wouldn't be hard, but my concern is turning down the job from this car dealership this Tuesday only to get turned down from Starbucks as well. I was a stormchaser and canvasser for a roofing company at my last job and I was really good at it, which is why I know I can do sales, but I don't think I want to.. commission only jobs can be rough.. at the same time, I'm not sure if it's foolish to turn down a good job or not, even though it's commission only. And I'm debating whether or not there's anything wrong with taking the car sales job and then quitting when starbucks calls me. Maybe from a principle standpoint it's shady, but is it really that bad if they're only paying me commission in the first place?
>>
I want to go to college but I have no clue what to major in. I seem to not want to do anything, but enjoy everything. I don't want to choose the wrong thing and be stuck doing it forever. What's the best way to choose?
>>
>>18687754
>Why avoid journalism?
Go on any """news""" website.
See that?
That's what you busted your ass for for four years.
Thought you'd be writing well researched pieces of investigative journalism?
That's what they told you right?
Wrong.
You'll be shitting out Buzzfeed level
>"5 lit memes ur doing wrong"
and
>"Random whore actress "accidentally" leaks picture of blurred nipple"
You'll grind away at some news mill that needs more clicks because it's print section just tanked, I don't care how you do it, just do it!
Your editor will ride your ass everyday, you'll be bombarded constantly, relentlessly in a 24/7 news "cycle" trying to eek out anything even remotely interesting to avoid getting sacked because you took on tens-of-thousand of dollars of debt to be part of a dying sector that can't even proof read or cite sources any more.

Do what a journalist friend of mine did after working for six years making at best 50k for a 60 hour week that followed him home every night, kys.

>tl;dr
Journalism degrees are a joke. Shouldn't even consider them in nearly-2018.
>>
Take general classes that will transfer just about anywhere and while knocking the basics out you will probably get a good idea of what you want to specialize in. You would be surprised how even taking basic pre reqs will open your mind and help you in making your decision.
>>
>>18687888
What happens when you do this and still can't decide?
>>
Anyone have advice on how to progess the fastest way possible on guitar? I know it takes a while to develops abilities like this but I wanna know what kind of sources, exersises etc. gives the best results. I know there's /gg/ btw I just wanna hear what /adv/ has to offer
>>
>>18687908
Go with what you are good at but don't hate and also has good career options.
>>
I can honestly say I'm not sure. Have you tried taking some specialized courses on edx? They have awesome top university courses that are offered for free. I am currently taking Harvard's CS50 course to prep myself for my choice of specialization. Might be worth your time to look into something like that. Why don't you take a look at their available courses and post what you think.
>>
I'm graduating HS soon and have interests in physics, but I really only care about money. What should I go into?
>>
>>18687924
Engineering if classical physics.
>>
>>18687876
>compete
Bump help me jesus
>>
Is CS a good choice? It's the only thing that I am interested in, but I doubt that it pays well for some reason
>>
>>18687706

>>18688651
>>
>>18687077
Anyone got any tips to make it as a pilot? In terms of path and whatnot. Because I probably can't bank on Air Force pilot as my #1 career choice...

Also, would anyone recommend ROTC? How hard is it if your grades aren't too hot? I don't want the scholarship, just to be able to commission.
>>18687502
>>
Tradesfag here.

I got an associates at my local Technical school in Machine Tool Technology. Now I'm a CNC machinist at a major supplier of aircraft parts for Boeing, Lockheed, etc.

$18/hour starting, full bennies day one. Job security is there so long as I can do my job well. Company doesn't limit my overtime.

Might go for a Bachelors and maybe a Masters in some kind of engineering someday, but for now I think I'm doing alright for a 22 year old.
>>
>>18688719
Why wouldn't it be?

It's like the perfect time
>>
File: ENOUGH.gif (2MB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
ENOUGH.gif
2MB, 800x533px
>>18687077
i ask this most threads but

Any Canadian anons here? Can you tell me about your university, major, why you choose it, how you liked it and if you could apply somewhere else would you?
>>
is it worth transferring two years cc to a uni, or is it better to just stay in cc
>>
>>18687876
Taking the car salesman job and then quitting quickly is a little bit of a dick move, BUT it's not something you need a reference from later and it's worth it to get the job you want so it's not the end of the world. When are you expecting to hear back from Starbucks?
>>
>>18687908
If you really can't decide after taking a shitton of general classes and/or completing an associate's degree, you really shouldn't be in college.

College is for all of those jobs you literally can't get unless you have a formal education and experience in the field (ie. Emengineering, chemistry, teacher, etc.).

Certificates allow you to spend less time and money, but still get credentials you need (for stuff like a upper management position, welding or working diseal engine).
>>
>>18689179
What are you wanting to do? I'd just cc generals for 2 years then uni for the rest of the degree you want, it's way cheaper.
>>
File: 443.gif (21KB, 245x138px) Image search: [Google]
443.gif
21KB, 245x138px
Hey anons, figured I might as well ask here

I'm
>21
>working as a chef, full-time
>making good money (relative to others in this industry), don't have a degree
>job is stable, i've been somewhat nomadic the last couple years but now i have settled down somewhat in denver and will be spending a year or two here at least
>don't have a high school diploma

I'm not stupid, my parents pulled me out of middle school to "homeschool" me, but it turned out that that was hard work so they kind of just, didn't.

I want to pursue higher education, maybe get a degree in something finance or business related, but I'm painfully uneducated and ignorant as to how I should pursue something like that.

Should I get a GED or study up and take the SAT? What are my options for higher education if I have two days off a week and most early mornings?

tl;dr How do I into degrees and certificates with only a gradeschool education, and weekends and mornings off?
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.