[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need some /g/ood advice Looking for a powerful enough laptop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: fefgfg.jpg (395KB, 1000x613px) Image search: [Google]
fefgfg.jpg
395KB, 1000x613px
Need some /g/ood advice

Looking for a powerful enough laptop under 1,000 USD for primarily animation, therefore preferably one with the whole touchscreen gimmick since I can draw right on it.

Looked at HP x360, people apparently shit on HP as much as I thought, being a mid-level tech guy at best, Dell was shit on, now I'm unsure. A lot of comments on the jewtube video made it seem like you need a 'dedicated gpu', better memory, etc. I don't know my way around these basic terms because a lot of it is bullshit "bigger sounds better" marketing.

So I need the real answers from you folk
>>
>>18685549
>i dont trust these tech people with their dirty tech advice
>i know, ill go on 4chan's norman advice board
i just really dont understand this
try g, obviously
>>
Artist and animator here.

Actually try a touch-based laptop before you buy one. I tried a surface pro and thought I would like it, but it was endlessly frustrating when the heel of my hand kept switching the layer on me. You need something pen-sensitive with a way to disable touch.

Also, I recommend checking out the Tiger Direct website. They have a lot of good stuff and it goes on sale a lot.

I've also personally had very good experiences with ASUS products. The hardware is solid and powerful and the customer service is pretty good. They have some annoying bloatware (Splendid Video Enchancement is one you gotta be wary of, it makes your screen yellow), but I;ve been very happy with their stuff.

I also have a friend who swears by the larger iPads. Procreate is a good app for it. Dunno if it has good animation software, though.
>>
>>18685580
The kind of software you need will also depend on the kind of animation you do. Is it frame by frame? That's relatively low-cost. Is it motion comic animation? That needs a stronger PC. Is it completely 3D with a lot of post-processing? You need an absolute powerhouse of a computer.
>>
>>18685565
I did, thought I'd diversify the replies I got. Numbers game.

>>18685580
Well I'm looking for windows, since I haven't had a windows device in years since I got an iMac in 2016. I'm probably gonna (((acquire))) Adobe Flash on it. If there's ADDITIONAL programs for animation, I'd be happy to indulge.
>>
>>18685588
Well, probably keyframe. I'm a 2D artist (for now, just stretching my legs, getting into webcomics, etc)

How powerful is an iMac? Could that work for something like Blender or SFM or whatever people tend to use for 3D?
>>
>>18685592
ToonBoom or OpenToonz (I think that's what they are called, not much od a traditional animator) are effective, cheap options. They're not keyframe, though.

I used After Effects for motion comic animation and really liked it. But the more effects-heavy scenes would take a while.

You need GPU for processing power, RAM for working memory, and also a large memory bank for saving rendered files. Large bank can easily be an external hard drive.

PROTIP: Use a cloud service like OneDrive and set up nightly backups of your work. It is worth the time and money. They will save your ass and you will be very happy you did it.
>>
>>18685613
I don't do 'cloud' anything. Data stays physical for me, laptop, PC, or HDD.

How do ToomBoom or the other one work if not keyframe? Are they like 2D rigging
>>
>>18685619
That's fine, but at least do backups on an external hard drive or something. I can think of at least six times in the past couple years that they've saved my ass. Corrupted saves, accidental deletions, stuff getting saved over. Being able to retrieve a file or a save state you thought was lost is invaluable.

By keyframe animation, do you mean tweening? I haven't personally used ToonBoom or OpenToonz, but I hear good things about them from traditional-style animators who draw every frame. Don't know if they tween.
>>
>>18686494
I guess so, Tweening. The thing is I haven't "started" animating yet other than shitpost 30 second videos on my youtube. I want to start getting serious, and though I have a tablet, I feel like drawing right on the screen is better. Tweening is what the cheap korean studios do, as in it automatically moves the figure(s) based o n the start and end points, no?
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.