[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How long did it take you to get your first job?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: images3.jpg (8KB, 205x246px) Image search: [Google]
images3.jpg
8KB, 205x246px
Graduated a month ago, been job hunting since. I've applied for 3 so far, only heard back from 1 but I turned it down because it sounded really shitty. I don't want to have to settle for a job I don't enjoy. Ideally I'd like to stay in my hometown but I've been looking around larger cities. I don't really have much money so it would be hard to move somewhere new for a job.

Is job hunting supposed to be depressing?
>>
same boat -- but I already have an existing job (just looking to find a job that's a promotion at another company). Feels bad. I think the thing is to keep thinking about the "right answers" to interview questions and techincal interview questions and keep going. But yeah very depressing -- probably best to think that a first round interview means nothing.
>>
>only applied for 3

Nigga you deserve to be unemployed. I went through my 5 a day applications for like 2 months.
>>
I applied for 36 before getting my first job. Took 9 months.
>>
Yes it is. I seem to have about a 50% call back rate when it comes to applying for jobs, and while I have turned down jobs for one reason or another, the real problem is often employers will try and make their company sound like the greatest place ever to work and then a few months after working there you find out how shitty it actually is. I've never had a job I actually enjoyed and this is after switching careers and making more money. There are those lucky people who do find jobs they enjoy, but quite honestly the idea of this happening seems to far out of reach.
>>
>>18685254
What field? It's not like there are a lot of jobs to choose from in my area that I'm qualified for. Like I said I don't want to settle for something I don't enjoy.
>>
>>18685230
My first job was back in my senior year of high school. And typically when I was jobless, it took me 1-2 months to land a job. Right now, I'm jobless again but I'm in a weird place where I'm either overqualified for wage work or underqualified for salary work.
>>
>>18685230
>only applied for three
>heard back from 33%
What the hell is wrong with you? I have a bachelor's, two years of generic office experience, two internships, and two years of field-relevant experience. I apply to jobs daily, and I have been for a month and a half. My record is 12 in one day, and a "lazy day" is only applying to one. I've heard back from 4 total, and I've sent out at least 100.

Yes, job hunting does feel demoralizing. But if you've only applied to three, and even heard back from one with the luxury to reject, you're doing pretty well. It's a numbers game; and remember that you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. If you're really applying for so little, make sure to tailor your cover letter specifically for that position/company. You're doing just fine. When you have your new job, you'll look back at this time and think "hey, that wasn't so bad after all."
>>
>>18685230
I got my first job when I was 16, doing sales. Now I'm 18 and I'm the head programmer there.
>>
Graduated during the recession. Applied to thousands of jobs even globally.

Have good degree, skills and experience. There was just no jobs for new grads.

My advice- make a cutoff point where you will accept anything. You can always apply to better jobs later while employed. You need 1-2 years for anyone to look at you. Focus on skill sets you need.
>>
>>18685270
Time to start your own binness, ya heard me? Rich nigga shit.
>>
>>18685295
I have my degree and a 1.5 year internship. Thing is there is a shortage of IT jobs in my area. Moving would be tough, because like I said I don't have the money for it.
>>
Only 3 jobs? Found the problem. Apply to 1 job a day. Even if you get interviews, don't stop applying. The job hunt is depressing at first, and it is a grind, but you get used to it
>>
File: 1504460555718.jpg (77KB, 777x728px) Image search: [Google]
1504460555718.jpg
77KB, 777x728px
>>18685230
>I've applied for 3 so far
Wow, in one month? You're really somethin' arentchya?
>>
>>18686298
I literally wrote an essay to get my current job lol.
>>
>>18685230
4 years
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.