[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would you do it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: 1502169938500.jpg (16KB, 323x326px) Image search: [Google]
1502169938500.jpg
16KB, 323x326px
Long time lurker/poster here. I wanted to ask a 'what if' question.

If you have the opportunity to move, even if it's just making $10/hr with benefits, would that be worth it?

I live in Mississippi, more specifically, Hattiesburg. College town with not much to offer. I got an English degree and have been putting applications out of state for a couple of months now with no replies yet (except scammers, they've popped up like weeds). A friend attending Dartmouth told me that I should apply up there, especially since a Dunkin Doughnuts just opened. Most of my applications were in the North anyway, so I figured I would. Turns out that Dunkin gave me the job and would pay what I described above.

I've only ever been offered at most $8/hr with nothing else and I'm struggling to pay bills. I know that it's only two dollars more and would have to pay more because of different area, but I'm desperately wanting to leave. There is nothing in this state to save its life, and no educational benefits would mean that no business worth their salt would want to come here because their kids would get shit tier education. Does this sound like it would be worth moving for, especially since the job would be seen as a pivot?

>inb4 stupid liberal arts faggot
I know I picked a shitty path. Was wanting to be an English teacher, but dropped it because GI Benefits would run out before I finished. I'm just wanting something, anything at this point that provides basic salary that can help pay bills and save.
>>
self bump
>>
Would I move for $2 plus benefits? No. But it sounds like you've already decided it's worthwhile to go for other reasons too, so why not?
>>
Go for it, but if you've got a degree you're selling yourself short for 10$ an hour. You could work as a Cable Guy and make double that with no degree, try looking for jobs that sound interesting vs only looking at pay.

Customer service is for sociopaths and masochists, nobody needs to work those jobs when there are hundreds of employers looking for plain old reliability.
>>
>>18683301
Plus you're a vet, they preferentially hire vets left and right for government jobs with absolutely no previous experience needed.
>>
>>18682450
I'm 18, don't have a degree and I'm making $12/hr.. anon, you could do so, so much better.
>>
>>18683195
I agree. Plus, Mississippi isn't known for having jobs that are actually 'worth while'.
>>
>>18683301
Being from the state that I'm from, I don't know of many other options. Granted, I want to get away from customer service (most of the jobs I've applied to is nowhere close to that, but good luck getting responses back from the). It gets no respect and you won't see money unless you're running stores/districts.
>>
>>18683305
You'd think that, but I've been turned down for even the most basic entry level jobs in government from 'lack of experience', even though I've submitted that I'm a vet and no experience is needed. Mississippi is a degenerate state.
>>
>>18683380
No shit! Sorry if I sound mean, there aren't that many positions available here. We have one of the worst economies in the United States.
>>
>>18682450
move out of 'sippi?
hell yeah !

I'm not even american and I'm certain you should relocate.
>>
>>18683923
Well if you're willing to move for a job anyway, you might as well move somewhere that has a better selection of jobs.
>>
>>18685118
That's what I'm hoping for. Vermont doesn't seem too expensive and should give me easier access to areas that I put applications at.
>>
>>18685205
Funny you say that, I'm the state next door. New England is a pretty boring place to be to be honest, but jobs here seem pretty good as long as you have some sort of purpose.
>>
Target pays $12/hr starting in South Carolina if you don't mind going to work at 4 am.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.