[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me out bros

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: stem meme.jpg (93KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
stem meme.jpg
93KB, 1280x720px
I need to figure out wtf I'm going to do with my life. I've heard people rant about how all of STEM is a meme while others say that any specialized type of engineering is a 100% guaranteed high-paying job. I have a great interest in subjects like math, physics and chemistry but I'm not sure I'm autistic enough to major in one of those. I just want to do something where I can find a well paying job.

Any suggestions other than ">falling for the STEM meme"? I'm currently planning on ChemE then probably turning that into something like materials science/engineering or petroleum engineering.
>>
>>18681502
>falling for the STEM meme
Stem is as Meme means that: Success isn't so easy & guaranteed as marketed. But it can be achieved. Hard but it's worthwhile.
>
1. STEM has its downsides:
1.1. It's not to easy it simple to get good jobs as it's marketed even with high GPA & coming from a good school because the competition is huge.
1.2. Companies & bosses are fucking Misers who don't wanna spent money on paying what you deserve. They often prefer to outsource cheap Pajeets & chinks rather than paying what you deserve. It's unfair that a STEM genius get paid less than Pilots, Lawyers, Doctors & Top Managers.
>
2. However STEM has its good sides
2.1. It's pays well compared to most other professions. Can led to a comfy upper middle class life.
2.2. A STEM degree with good grades will proof that you are intellectual superior genius. As a intellectual trophee & badge of honor.
2.3. It's a meme but isn't a Shit. Most Humanities degrees like English majors are just plain shit. Any business degree from a Shitty University is also shitty
>>
>>18681502
get an ABET accredited engineering degree from a non-shit school, get over 3.0 GPA, do some internships. its that simple. if you are interested in research then start volunteering for some professors. grad school is free in engineering and they pay you
>>
File: really.jpg (71KB, 361x405px) Image search: [Google]
really.jpg
71KB, 361x405px
>>18681503
>STEM genius get paid less than Pilots, Lawyers, Doctors

a doctor will be smarter than you will ever be, anon.
>>
>>18681505
Med school is just a glorified 10 year trade school for idiots who couldn't figure out a better way to earn 6 figures. I tutor pre med students, I know exactly how smart they aren't.
>>
>>18681506
it isn't easy at all to get the grades they have and only a small percentage actually get to be doctor. Math isn't the only hard thing in the world. Also, the only students I met hating on them were jalous autists
>>
>>18681505
It's a lot of work to become a doctor but you don't have to be a genius to become one. Most people drop out of med school because they can't do the work, not that they're too stupid to understand it. Intelligence still plays a role but its more important in the hard sciences than it is in medicine.
>>
>>18681507
>Also, the only students I met hating on them were jalous autists

I'm definitely not a jealous autist but the pre-med retards are the reason TAing biology classes sucks.
>>
>>18681508
>>18681509
I'm pretty sure if a try hard med student went to study physics or mathematics as hard as he studied medicine, he would pass with very good grades.

of course, I agree that in the research field, we actually need geniuses, but for your shitty engineering/maths major? Any med student could do it twice as good.
>>
>>18681510
>I'm pretty sure if a try hard med student went to study physics or mathematics as hard as he studied medicine, he would pass with very good grades.
>of course, I agree that in the research field, we actually need geniuses, but for your shitty engineering/maths major? Any med student could do it twice as good.
This is why they are so annoying to TA. They just see it as a class and nothing more. There's a clear difference between teaching someone who has a passion for biology and someone who sees biology as a hoop to jump through to be able to eventually wear a white coat and make people call you "Dr. Anon."

It's sad.
>>
Major in Stats and Econ. Make sure you learn R and SQL. This is better than engineering or physics and you wont be stuck in a stupid science job. You can work in any company and end up making 100k if youre not dumb. Not much work in college either so you can have a life.
>>
>>18681511
can't argue with that. Most of them are in for the prestige even if they don't want to admit it
>>
Engineering might be hard to get into because kids years ago fell for the propaganda and now there's just way too many kids with Engineering degrees and not enough positions. This is why it's super important to take internships (or an equivalent) and make connections, cause you gotta show them what you have over the thousands with the same piece of paper. But to be fair, this applies for every degree, just moreso for degrees like engineering and business for example.
>>
File: IMG_7774.jpg (114KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7774.jpg
114KB, 960x960px
Pic related.
>>
>>18681738

Yeah but Mark is never gonna make more than 70k a year, unless he opens his own business. Someone with a degree can join a company and rise in the management ranks and making a couple hundred grand a year when they're at the high point of their career.
>>
>>18681801
What percent makes it into that six figure salary? If you have a shot at a six figure salary, then maybe you have a shot at starting your own business?
It's better to be debt free and your own boss, no?
>>
>>18681504
literally fucking this
4chan NEETs could never comprehend this

but they also think a starting salary at 22 of $70k "isn't a lot of money"
>>
>>18681510
t. Buttmad envious med student. While you obviously need enough intelligence for med, they are nowhere near what's needed in intelligence for math and physics. Med study is all about memorization, not understanding. That's why many of them wouldn't do that great in hard sciences.
>>
>>18681846

Starting your own business also means you have all of the liability. From property, to concept, to equipment, to HR, to the building flooding at 3 in the morning because a pipe burst, that shit is all on you as a business owner. No thanks, I'll take the director of marketing postition and let someone else deal with the fact one of our properties had an outbreak of bedbugs.
>>
>>18681967
Since when do they pay directors 100k+? Only the execs have six figures.
>>
>>18682001

According to Glassdoor, the national average for a director of marketing is $116k. Directors for companies like Charles Schwab, AT&T, and AmEx make over $135k. I work at one of those tiers of companies.
>>
>>18681504
What do you mean grad school is free in engineering? I know you can maybe get your grad tuition paid by some govt departments but how is it free?
>>
And how many of those positions are available now?
>>
>>18682360
govt or a company will fund it
>>
>>18681505
>>18681506
>>18681507
Since when is Medicine not part of STEM? wtf
>>
>>18681510
I think different types of students self-select into math/physics vs. medicine. they're not as similar as math/physics and engineering. medical students are a very particular breed.
>>
>>18681502
I'm a talented STEM that only had a degree on his 30s. By my mid-twinties I had invented a programming language used by thousands and wrote software used tens of thousands.

Still, couldn't even pass the doorway to get inside one of the bigger companies. Only after an engineering degree I got access to the large companies.

Today I'm older and understand that had I networked better or started working on a startup, it would have been possible to build a stronger reputation that would replace the degree.

Still, these degrees from a good university will teach you many other things that are relevant. So my recommendation is that you do finish one.
>>
>>18681513

how do you even 'know' they do it for presige?
>>
>>18681502
Stem is respectable and not a meme, gofor engr
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.