[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need a job

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: Just like I showed you champ.jpg (142KB, 2400x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Just like I showed you champ.jpg
142KB, 2400x1600px
>Graduated last year (EE)
>2 page resume filled with my abilities, volunteer experience, unrelated work experience, club involvement/leadership roles, and projects (school and personal)
>700+ applications later: ~10 interviews (no offers), hundreds of rejections, the rest don't reply
>I now have an inexplicable 16 month gap in my resume where all I've been doing is looking for work

I don't even know what I'm doing wrong at this point. I've evaluated everything I've been doing up till now. There's nothing else I can conclude aside from employers just not liking my face.
>>
If you've been applying for jobs at a rate that's almost 1.5 per day, that says a lot about the quality of your applications. You're not helping yourself by not working any job you can get either.
>>
>>18681299
It is my understanding that engineering as a profession is currently glutted with people and not enough jobs to go around.
>>
>>18681309
>You're not helping yourself by not working any job you can get either
I've applied to technician roles too. They all told me I'm overqualified/ignored me after the interview.
You can't tell me that working retail will help me because I already have work experience on my resume working for my dad's company as a "maintenance technician" that has gotten me nowhere.
>>18681314
From my understanding, that's pretty much the situation.
>>
>>18681332
>You can't tell me that working retail will help me because I already have work experience on my resume working for my dad's company as a "maintenance technician" that has gotten me nowhere.
You'd think someone with an engineering degree would be smart enough to realise that a retail job or something similar would at least mean you don't have a gap in your resume. Every day you sit on your high horse and think you're too good for any job you can get just because you have a degree now, your employment gap increases and the more red flags it raises with potential employers.

Also you're complaining that people are 'ignoring' you - have you taken any initiative and followed up on your application? You can't want these jobs too badly if you're too lazy to flick them an email or give them a call.
>>
>>18681343
I'm saying that having "cashier" listed on my resume isn't going to better my chances at getting an engineering job. I'm not trying to say that I'm "above" that work, sorry I offended you man. The year gap isn't so much the problem since I can (and have) explained my gap saying that I'm working for my father (quite literally, I am working with my dad on and off when he needs me).
Frankly, I feel that employers don't care to hire me regardless of whether they "know" I'm currently employed or not. The issue employers ALWAYS voice is that I don't have professional experience in the field. But you probably already figured that part out.
>have you taken any initiative and followed up on your application?
I have. Some I have even hounded on a weekly basis. Best I get is an expedited rejection.
>>
>>18681426
>The issue employers ALWAYS voice is that I don't have professional experience in the field.
In my experience, this isn't a problem if you a) know your shit and b) have decent grades. You also need to be able to articulate why you are the right person for the job despite not having professional experience, which comes back to what I said here >>18681309
>If you've been applying for jobs at a rate that's almost 1.5 per day, that says a lot about the quality of your applications.
When it comes to job applications, quality > quantity
>>
>>18681299
you try a temp agency OP? my housemate works in BioSci and found a job in his field that way with not a ton of work experience. STEM is a bit mysterious to me personally.
>>
Do more projects by yourself, post online, try selling on Tindie, bring them to interviews, do a product from sketch to production, you will learn more than in any company you might be working.

Im self taught ee, was enteprise systems architect before, I work freelance and can see only shortage of engineers who know shit around me, a lot of jobs I skip just because of shortage of time. Im in eastern europe
>>
>>18681427
I've never been asked for my grades (not like I can flaunt them anyway, they're average at best).
>You also need to be able to articulate why you are the right person for the job
I don't know what more to articulate that I haven't already said in past interviews. I tell them everything I know that applies to the job, I tell them experiences I've had that will help me with the job. They all seem legitimately impressed and I always leave feeling confident from the interview. Either they shortly after tell me they're pursuing another candidate or they give me the cold shoulder and never get back to my followup emails/phonecalls.

>>18681445
I've tried recruiters and temp agencies. Majority of them just ignore me despite my persistence. The only one that has shown any interest was offering me janitorial/cleaning temp positions. As I've said
>>18681426
I don't think work that's unrelated to engineering will really help me out

>>18681451
What kind of projects could I even do that would impress employers? I have personal projects listed on my resume and have talked about them in interviews, but it hasn't helped me evidently.
I'd like to freelance, but I have no idea how to get into it. Heck, I'd love to do a product from sketch to production (especially if I could open a business selling said product), but it's coming up with an idea that's hell for me.
>>
>>18681483
>I don't know what more to articulate that I haven't already said in past interviews.
What about your cover letters? Or emails? Or personal statement on your resume? Out of 700 applications you've had 10 interviews; that's not even a 2% success rate. It doesn't matter how well you're talking yourself up in interviews, you're clearly fucking up before you even get to the interview.

Stop churning out application after application. Think about how you come across in each application, and give each one the time it deserves. If you don't, why SHOULDN'T they just throw yours out and hire someone who wants the job enough to spend time in applying properly?
>>
>>18681501
>What about your cover letters? Or emails? Or personal statement on your resume?
I have a general cover letter that I tweak for virtually every application going as far as listing the company's investors/clients. I go in detail about 1 or 2 projects I've done that closely relates to the job along with "proven abilities" in leadership roles and whatnot.

>Stop churning out application after application.
Ironically, I get far better responses from just turning out resumes than taking the time to fine tune each one (probably due to the fact that I get out more applications when I just send my general resume). Point is I've tried that method of carefully applying to each job and it doesn't seem to help.
The only reason I have so many applications sent out is because a huge chunk of them are senior/intermediate positions or required abilities I either vaguely knew or had no exposure to. I don't even know if it's 700 total, it's probably a lot more. In reality, I've maybe applied to 200 jobs tops that didn't list any required experience and listed abilities that I 100% matched. Also worth mentioning I've had at least 2-3 interviews for positions listed as "senior" and only semi matched in terms of requirements.
>>
>>18681542
>The only reason I have so many applications sent out is because a huge chunk of them are senior/intermediate positions or required abilities I either vaguely knew or had no exposure to.
>apply for jobs you're not qualified for
>wonder why you're not getting any responses or having any success
>>
>>18681542
Why are you wasting time applying for jobs you're not remotely qualified for? This isn't a '...you never know!' sort of situation, they will bin your resume in a second.

Beggars can't be choosers, after being unemployed for >1 year you're not too good for anything.

Call centres, fast food, cleaning etc. just get a source of income before you start shooting higher career wise.
>>
Out of college with little experience and applying for senior already?
Sorry, something just isn't right here. Start from the bottom and work your way up to the top. How many of these applications match your experience and knowledge level? Because you know, if they want a Java programmer and you only know C and still apply you're not going anywhere, either
>>
>>18681542
>Point is I've tried that method of carefully applying to each job and it doesn't seem to help.
10 interviews out of 700 applications.

>In reality, I've maybe applied to 200 jobs tops that didn't list any required experience and listed abilities that I 100% matched.
7-8 interviews out of 200 applications isn't that much more of a success rate.

Do you really expect us to believe that your applications are just fine? If you don't want put more effort into finding a job that's fine, just stop whining that you haven't got a job if you're not willing to do the most obvious thing.
>>
You're overqualified, simple as that. They don't want to hire you because they'd have to pay you too much.
>>
As a recruiter, I generally toss out any resumes over 1 page for entry level positions. Nobody wants to read your clubs or 'unrelated work experience'.

Get your resume down to 1 page and you'll get a lot more interviews. Only submit 2+ page resumes when you have 5-10 years relevant work experience and are applying for senior level positions.
>>
>>18681545
>Also worth mentioning I've had at least 2-3 interviews for positions listed as "senior" and only semi matched in terms of requirements.
My main point is that I've had far more than a handful of interviews. What concerns me is that none of those interviews yielded an offer.
>>18681559
> This isn't a '...you never know!' sort of situation
Everyone I've spoken to has told me otherwise. It's not like it takes a huge amount of time to apply to those positions
> just get a source of income before you start shooting higher career wise.
I have a source of income; working for my father. I'm legitimately employed for his company. Employers don't ask me about my "year gap" because on my resume it shows I'm working as a "maintenance technician". That's why I'm applying to engineering roles, and I'm explaining to employers that I'm trying to shoot higher.
>>18681563
I think you're misinterpreting something here.
The point is that I'm applying for quite literally everything from as low as technician positions to as high as senior positions. I'm trying to get anything I can. Obviously I know I have to start from the bottom, and I'm trying to. Not a lot of entry level positions to pick from.
>>18681573
I said ~10, I've lost count. I don't know what you're getting out of trivializing my situation.
I'm not against fine tuning every application, I'm just saying that I've tried that method and it hasn't yielded me that much more success.
>>
>>18681595
As a fresh grad, I highly doubt I'm overqualified. Unless my leadership/volunteer experience is what's turning them off.
>>18681596
>Nobody wants to read your clubs
I specifically only put club involvement if I held an executive role (treasurer, committee chairman, etc)
>or 'unrelated work experience'.
The only work experience I have listed is working for my dad.
Is it ok to have a resume with absolutely no work/volunteer experience listed? Wouldn't I be shooting myself in the foot? Everything I have listed on my resume has been written in a way that exemplifies abilities useful to the job I'm applying for. I put as much info as possible because I know I'm likely competing with 200 other applicants with the same university degree as me, I need to set myself apart somehow.
Worth noting I have gone to my university's career resources a few times to get my resume looked over.
>>
>>18681299
Maybe you suck at the interview process
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.