[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

being social in university

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0465.jpg (115KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0465.jpg
115KB, 640x640px
any tips on making friends/creating decent relationships in university? i start school next week and don't want to enter into the same hole i was in in high school, a shy recluse who longed to be social and around others but was always too scared to try and too unapproachable for others to gain interest. what do?
>>
Short answer: talk to people
>>
>>18680720
what are good ways to start conversation? i have usually let people approach me out of a fear of rejection or creating an uncomfortable situation
>>
>>18680718
OP, primarily >>18680720

I would look out for the people who are extroverts and ask them what sort of social events you can go to. If you don't want to do that, just find a social event and go to it. Forget about that advice about only going to groups you like, just go to the first one you see, and rinse and repeat until you find out what you like.

Its not as hard as you think it is, your mind tries to convince you its difficult,

I would really recommend you socialize a lot in uni, because I would say its the best time in your life to easily make connections. Afterwards, its more difficult (not impossible though).
>>
I'm in the same boat. I know this sounds dumb as hell, but I'd like to hear somone go through an imaginary scenario where you would take to somone. Like, I go class to class, take notes and leave. I don't know anybody in my course and find it difficult to find a reason to start talking
>>
>>18680730
Anything. Ask them where they're from, what dorm they're in, what they think of the class etc. It's not that hard to turn to the person next to you in class and say "Hi, I'm Anon"
>>
>>18680736
that's the problem i'm having, being someone who is incredibly introverted without a reason to step out of that comfort zone, it seems odd to me to start conversation with someone for seemingly no reason but i realize that it's necessary to meeting someone
>>
>>18680744
Literally me. I commute and have no friends after each quarter
>>
>>18680736
The problem is that a lot of people want to socialize, but do not want to talk to people or think they don't have anything to say.

Reason to start talking: To get to know somebody, stop waiting for people to just open up to you about their lives. Just start inviting people to stuff you enjoy (so long as its not too bizarre). This way, if you enjoy the activity already, you will find it easier to talk to people since you will be more relaxed. A lot of people would love to go to more events, but like you they are scared that they won't have anything to talk about, or that they don't know anybody.

Grab your balls and take some risks. Or boobs if your a female.
>>
>>18680744
I'm thinking the only way people like us are going to manage to make new friends is to force ourselves to talk to people. I'm planning on asking for a classmates number to share missed notes. Won't be easy but it's somewhere to start
>>
>>18680759
I commuted and after a semester or two of making few friends, I told myself I would put myself out there more and talk to people. Once I started to do so, I wasn't so lonely anymore.
>>
>>18680767
You make a good point. I'll try and remember that I'm not the only one who wants to make friends
>>
>>18680767
To further explain, im not the most social one myself, but generally if you end up having a good time, other people do too.

I go to cafes a lot, which I think is boring, but i started inviting other people to cafes, and not everyone accepted my inivitations, but some did and we have a good time. True, were not the most interesting bunch, but we had fun just being with each other, and thats all that matters to me.
>>
>>18680768
that's definitely a good way to start, i hope it works out for the both of us
>>
Go to a local haunt. Hookah bars can be okay. Personally my local coffee shop (not gay ass Starbucks) is great and ive met quite a few people there. I go there every day. Avoid bars. Join a club that interests you but only join one so you have time to yourself.

t. senior
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.