/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Career prospects for a political science major?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: fishies.gif (3MB, 440x330px) Image search: [Google]
fishies.gif
3MB, 440x330px
Further details, I'll be graduating with a degree in poli sci with a minor in stats and I'll be graduating as a part of my university's honors program (one of the requirements is writing an undergraduate thesis). What sort of jobs are reasonably available with this load out?
>>
>>18678826
OP here, I'm also financially sound enough to go take out loans for a masters degree, so I'm open for suggestions that might require a master's degree
>>
>>18678826
Flipping burgers
>>
Senior Sandwich Artist
>>
>>18678839
>>18678837
4chan is full of losers telling people they can't do things. I've heard here that growing fields are not worth getting into and that doing drugs is the solution.

You're fucking retards, and losers.

>>18678826
OP, you'll have to do your own research. I can't do it for you. Sorry school doesn't actually prepare people for careers. You'll have to go out of your way to figure this out, further than 4chan, obviously.
>>
>>18678826

Definitely law school.

Alternatively you can invest in kneepads.

Basic math. If you can suck 10 cocks a day for a year for $1 each that is an extra $3650 you are bringing in annually on top of the sandwich artiste salary. I recommend tucking it into your retirement savings account but what the heck
>>
>>18678852
I'm not saying you can't do whatever you want. I hope you become the best sandwich artisan you can with that degree.
>>
>>18678866
I don't have a polysci degree you're disoriented

it's not anyone's fault that you high school dropouts can't use abstract thinking and life experience to imagine that theoretical degrees like psychology and polysci can lead to jobs.

if you knew anything about the real world you would look at facts rather than your own uneducated assumptions
>>
>>18678858
>law

that's a good suggestion, better than sandwich shop.
>>
>>18678871
But I am saying those degrees can lead to jobs. Particularly lucrative ones at high end quick service establishments.
>>
>>18678871

As a psyc major you're wrong. A bachelors in psyc doesn't lead to shit. If you want a job in the field you need a masters minimum. I'm applying to med schools in a year slightly because of how useless a bachelors in psyc is.
>>
>>18678882
my friends with bachelor's in psych all have jobs less than a month after looking, jobs that are very relevant to their career goals.

so basically I have no idea in any way what you're talking about
>>
>>18678874
That's a terrible suggestion. Law is fucking flooded right now.
>>
>>18678889

>my friends did it therefore everyone can

There are only so many psyc related jobs and they are probably research assistants or something. The field is oversaturated with psyc grads whicb is why most end up either flipping burgers while some go on to do their masters/PhD or MD. Hell plenty go to law school because of this.
>>
>>18678895

Yeah law is flooded but what else can he do with a poli sci degree?
>>
>>18678882
>>18678895
>there are no jobs in psych
>there are no jobs in law
you guys need to relocate or something. where I live it's raining jobs in social work, clinical therapy, and law.
>>
>>18678899
you loser fucking defeatists. I can't wait until school starts and I don't have to sit with you guys on 4chan.

>>18678898
no the opposite they're all clinical and social work.

you need a masters to get into research here, and it's not because "OH THERE ARE NO JOBS" it's because of qualifications
>>
>>18678826
Most jobs just require a degree. Sure you can't be an Engineer or Doctor but 99% of jobs aren't those and their are plenty that pay more.

I work in IT and there's people all over with irrelevant degrees. In this field if you can get past the HR check of having a degree and have the skills we don't care what your degree was, so the question is what do you want to do? Start looking at jobs that interest you.
>>
>>18678948
I heard med schools are accepting people with bachelor's degrees in things you would not expect.
>>
>>18678912
Devil's advocate, but they aren't wrong. You really have to bust your ass to get anywhere in the field due to everyone and their mother getting law degrees. Not knocking law but just go look at the job reports.
>>
>>18678965
Honestly I'm not familiar with the Med school process, I just assumed OP didn't want to be in school forever.

And to clarify what I meant about most jobs needing a degree, what I meant is that most jobs that require a degree specific or not don't care what it is as long as you have the experience or can do the work.
>>
>>18678970
I'm not saying everyone gets to be an impressive lawyer or some brilliant psychotherapist, but there are jobs in the field, at least where I live. If someone is having trouble getting a job at all, I recommend they relocate. Life *is* competitive now, you're right, so people can either go through the path of least resistance or they can adapt and achieve their goals.
>>
OP here again, I don't plan on going to law school, that's just too much time and money, at most I'll spend an extra 1-2 years in graduate school getting a masters and go from there
>>
>>18678981
100% agree with the relocation part. I would reckon that most people who are having poor luck finding work fail to search for jobs outside their immediate area.

Moving is hard work, but you have to go where the work is, it isn't going to come to you.
>>
>>18678985
pursue your goals don't listen to defeatists. so long as you're willing to do whatever it takes (relocating, persistently looking for a job, planning for periods where you have to work in food service) then ultimately you can achieve your goal. That's pretty much the basis for all not-scammer motivation speakers, that even if you're short or dumb or chose to do something in a saturated job market, you can still achieve by going above and beyond others in terms of commitment and effort.
>>
>>18678985
As far as work goes you just have to know yourself. What skills do you have? How can you help a company achieve success with said skill set? Are you willing to learn?

OP this is the kind of stuff you should have been researching years ago, not bashing you but it\s true. Start browsing job websites, find entry-level jobs that look interesting to you and see if you can meet their needs or quickly learn whatever it is to do so.
>>
>>18678948
As far as IT goes, what about an associate degree?
>>
>>18679568
That's fine, not as ideal as a bachelors but it will get you some experience and certs if the place is worth its salt.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.