[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My dog is 15-years-old and counting. He's had health problems

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_1047.jpg (76KB, 480x1092px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1047.jpg
76KB, 480x1092px
My dog is 15-years-old and counting. He's had health problems his entire life (mostly epilepsy) but within the last year has gone more or less completely blind and deaf.

It's never been brought up in my presence (22-year-old who lived away at school for the past 4 years) but I've wondered whether or not it's time for my family to put him down. It makes me really sad to think about, but I don't know. He doesn't appear to be in any pain besides sometimes knocking his head on a chair or some shit. He's always had anxiety issues and I wouldn't say they've gotten worse, just that since he has trouble realizing anyone is around he gets lonely and scared despite us being in the room with him.

I would assume that, if he were really in some pain, my parents would have put him down out of love, but it still has me wondering. Has anyone had an experience with this? Does it sounds like he's just passing away quietly, or do you think he's miserable and in a lot of pain?

It makes me really sad thinking I'd have to put him down. It (presumably) sucks losing a dog as a kid, but I don't think it compares to losing a dog that's grown up with you your entire life.

Pic unrelated
>>
File: IMG_0266.jpg (78KB, 1065x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0266.jpg
78KB, 1065x800px
Send him out in style
>>
File: 361.png (58KB, 646x654px) Image search: [Google]
361.png
58KB, 646x654px
>>18676275
If you or your family has never lost pets before then it's very possible to hold onto him for longer than you should

On the other hand I've had many older, broken doggos that were happy and continued to have energy long after the doctors said they would. Dogs are funny that way. The key word here is "happy"

Generally with my puppers, I looked for great difficulty in living when it was time for them to go. If he's still happy when he walks, eats, and still recognizes you when you give him belly rubs, he's probably not in a lot of pain. Bumping into things may seem disconcerting but if he's up walking around it means he still wants to be active. On the other hand, if he doesn't recognize you anymore, doesn't want to move or eat his food, it's time. You said he's epileptic, so regular seizures are another sign that it's his time.

You've been with him his entire life, you'll know when he's in too much pain. It's not that you won't know he's in great pain, it's just that you'll have a hard time letting him go.

When the time comes, buy him a big ol' angus ribeye and be there in the room with him
>>
>>18676342
Thanks for the response anon. My mom has a lot of experience (she's had a dog basically for her entire life, there was rarely any time where her family did not own one) and since I know one of those dogs had to be eventually put down I assume she's got more knowledge than me.

He seems happy. He's kinda dopey so you can't tell if he's happy or just blank. But he doesn't appear to be in any pain, I would imagine he'd make noises or something.

I know you're supposed to stay with the dog when you put it down, but I dunno how to prepare for that
>>
File: 1470375491334.png (395KB, 439x500px) Image search: [Google]
1470375491334.png
395KB, 439x500px
It's never easy the first time but if your instincts are telling you it may be time, its possible it is.
>>
>>18676378
>I dunno how to prepare for that

You don't, you just go in there and do it

When you come out you deal with it in your own way until you realize that your buddy is at peace and that it was better for you to be in there because he would want nothing more than to be with you until the last seconds

If you don't do it you will then have that regret on top of your regular grieving; both my older fosters were put down by my parents a week before I came back from some semesters and I have a twinge of pain from not being able to seem them go but at the same time it would be selfish of me to have my dogs wait in pain until I came back. but that's how strong the regret can be

the image of him passing won't "haunt you" because you will understand he lived a wonderful life, death can be tragic and traumatic when it is sudden and violent but when it's old age it is peaceful

damn it now i have to go hug my old doggos
>>
>>18676378
>He's kinda dopey so you can't tell if he's happy or just blank

if he's dopey he's happy. trust me.

>I would imagine he'd make noises or something.
he may whimper if he's having great difficulty doing things he normally does. he may not. one of my dogs didn't, he just sat there not moving much

like I said, between your parents and you one of you will know when it's his time, and as adults all three of you will probably agree
>>
I don't understand your logic. Do you think disabled people and the elderly should be killed, too? If the dog doesn't look like it's in pain, just leave it alone.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.