[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to help suicidal/depressed people?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

File: 1503944935195.jpg (40KB, 569x506px) Image search: [Google]
1503944935195.jpg
40KB, 569x506px
I can't help them for the life of me. They just keep insisting they are worthless ect. and I want to help but I don't know what to say.
>>
>>18673692
Change there emotional state. Words mean nothing it's about the emotions.
>>
>>18673696
explain
>>
>>18673696
This is the probably the only appropriate answer unless you provide a more specific example of your conversation with them.
>>
>>18673717
they said this
>i wanna die
>its a constant thought
>my existence is useless
>ive no skills
>im lazy
>i do nothing
>im a disappointment
>all i do is procrastinate
>everything i do i fuck up
>i wish i was never born

and all i replied was basic shit like "that's not true" and "stop thinking like that" and "fuck ups are learning experiences"
>>
>>18673701

Imagine being in a constantly sad state and hear "it'll get better" a lot when you know it doesn't.

Hysteria takes over and you go from sad to depression
>>
>>18673737
If thats the case then you may want to consider yourself lucky that they are still talking to you, assuming that they are.

>that's not true
Thats your conclusion which they very likely dont hold. For them to believe something like that you would have to persuade them, which means appealing to reason, emotion and authority.

> "stop thinking like that
Not very motivating to stop, especially when told directly like that.

>"fuck ups are learning experiences"
Not if you arent learning anything from them, which is very likely the case for them.

What else do you say to them?
>>
>>18673692
They really just want to talk
source, I'm a depressed person with a thread here that only got one reply and now I'm really fucking depressed
>>
>>18673765
I want to know what to say, I already know what I said was wrong since it didn't help
>>
>>18673776
You want to know what to say, to help them in what way specifically?
>>
>>18673692
Puppies, kittens and bunnies
>>
Distraction from thoughts is what helps...

Bear in mind you won't heal them, and that some of them do not want to be helped, no matter how much they look like it.

Don't talk about depression, or about feeling good. Talk about a good memory, or just DO something... Something that requires attention, but not really effort... A tabletop game, per say.

Try to give them good memories without mentioning the intend at all.
>>
>>18673780
are you being for real
>>
>>18673786
What use are good memories to them if they still focus on the bad ones most of the time?
>>
>>18673770
Consider yourself lucky, at least you've got a reply. That means that, even some random person on the Internet was worried about you.
>>
>>18673783
most helpful answer so far
>>
>>18673788
So that's your stock reaction to not being able to answer the question meaningfully?
Try explaining this then:
Why do you ask us to tell you what to do, when you cant even formulate what your desired outcome is?
If you dont have a specific outcome in mind, you may as well do whatever you please, it wont matter much.
>>
>>18673822
obviously the desired outcome is for them to stop being depressed, what do you think?
>>
>>18673770

Uh...link?
>>
>>18673823
Persuade them to stop being "depressed" instead of contradicting them, bossing them around and telling them lies.
>>
>>18673692
people are delusional and don't know what's wrong with them. asking someone why they are depressed is like asking someone why they have a tummy ache. there's only a chance they know why, and if they do, they only partially know why.

when they start to explain what they think is actually wrong, they might bring up something like a trauma that you are not qualified to help with, or they might just talk in delusional circles that nobody knows how to get them out of

the idea that they genuinely are against themselves and that they're just sad and you can make them happy/whole again is an immature concept

trying to make them happy again is a good idea, though. the person who said kittens and puppies gave the closest thing to an answer that could possibly be given. there isn't really a good way for you to cure what makes people sick, but you can help make their lives more enjoyable and worthwhile regardless of what's wrong with them. if someone is mentally ill enough that they aren't willing to have a life that is more enjoyable and worthwhile, then trying to force them into a good way of life is a lost cause.
>>
>>18673862
>>18673692
if you really want to help people, you should do so within a professional environment, like as a doctor, social worker, therapist, nurse

there are plenty of places you can volunteer, doing things for the disadvantaged youth and the elderly.
>>
>>18673795
The point is not if they'll complain later or anything... The point is that while those memories are being made, they aren't complaining and thinking life sucks. They are distracted... And whenever they actually want help, they might find themselves looking at those memories and finding confort to take another step into... non-depressive-ness...
>>
>>18673867
>>18673862
as well as animals
>>
Buy them a hooker.

Seriously, buy them a hooker.

I'm not kidding, buy them a hooker.
>>
>>18673870
Living a life of distraction seems very pathetic and cowardly, why would you encourage them in that?
>>
>>18673876
>a life of distraction seems pathetic and cowardly
ok but you're extremely wrong

think of this scenario

I'm crying because I spilled my snowcone. I've been crying for days about it. I distract myself from the pain of spilling my snowcone by investing in real estate and making myself an addition $2mil

would you say that making $2mil is a pathetic and cowardly thing, or would sitting and crying about the snowcone be more pathetic and cowardly?
>>
>>18673876
Distracting from depression?... Oh, that's not shallow at all. Depression is.

The point is taking his attention from one point and bringing to another, hopefully happier point. If you have a problem with the word, that's solved.

I must add that sometimes a few minutes of distraction is pretty much the difference between passing the rest of the day depressed or not.

Take it from someone who's had it for years and worked his ass off to get good mental health again, and got there.
>>
>>18673887
Are you saying that investing does not really require any effort?
You seem to be changing the sense in which you use words to whatevers most convenient to you at the moment.

>>18673888
>The point is taking his attention from one point and bringing to another, hopefully happier point
If thats what you think then i'll refer you to this :>>18673795
>>
>>18673900
you genuinely sound dumb or something. don't ask us (you're conversing with more than one anon) for advice if you don't want it
>>
>>18673900
Let me remind you that you are no healer...
You are no psychologist, else you wouldn't ask this on 4chan.

YOU CAN'T HEAL THEM, bro... All you can do is make them feel happier for a few moments. That's helpful, but then again, you are no Jesus fuckin' Christ to heal something by being a good friend or touching the person or whatever.
>>
>>18673847
you're really helpful
>>
>>18673917
How ironic that you call anyone dumb, when you lack the basic reading comprehension necessary to infer that I'm not OP.
>>
>>18673924
>Not OP

well that's good to know, or OP's sake.

so you just came in here to take stupid points up against a bunch of strangers?
>>
>>18673917
>>18673919
That isn't me
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.