[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am 18 years old and I feel as if life is meaningless. This

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

File: meaningless.jpg (137KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
meaningless.jpg
137KB, 640x480px
I am 18 years old and I feel as if life is meaningless.

This is a very intense feeling for me. I am an emotional person without any doubt, perhaps I let my emotions dictate my actions too much.

This feeling, this emotion, this mindset has begun to hurt me in that I find living distressing and painful.

I cannot convince myself otherwise. I cannot finding meaning, motivation or incentive to keep living.

I feel trapped by being alive. I feel a very real pain by it.

I've got lots of problems with insomnia and I believe I must have suffered brain damage at this point.

Over the course of the past 3 days I have slept under 12 hours. This is as far back as I can remember. I've been having sleep problems since November last year, they're increased massively in severity in the past month or so however.

I am so afraid I have damaged my brain.

I am afraid. Alone. Suicidal.
>>
>>18673309
You just have to find meaning in something you value in life.

For me, it's other human beings, and, more specifically, the human connection
>>
>>18673314
Perhaps. I don't have many people in my life and spend a lot of my time not only alone, but isolated.

Yes I can change this, but I have begun to feel a disconnect to others. I feel unable to relate. I feel afraid to ever express myself because I don't like others knowing things about me and I don't like being the centre of attention ever.
>>
>>18673309
Inanimate objects do not need meaning they just exist.
Meaning is a by product of being alive.
Basically people create meaning.
Right now you have decided that life is meaningless. You can change that perception to anything you want.
Obviously, yes the (universe) is inherently meaningless. But you don't realize human being are the ones who create it. The universe doesn't care it's indifferent. But we care that is the different.
>>
>>18673319
You sound like you could try and find an answer in philosophy if you can't feel connected to your fellow man.

I remember realizing it didn't help me at all, but I also realized I'm not one to think so much as I am to feel.

Life can be hard knowing there's no reason to it, but you just have to make one.
>>
>>18673337
I am not really smart enough to comprehend and take anything from this.

Life to me has to have an incentive. I need motivation. I have none.
>>
>>18673319
You know what you have to do. But fear holds you back. Either fight the fear or die. What do YOU really want? Find the drive, kick yourself in the ass and go out there a get what you want. You have that power.
>>
>>18673343
>>18673339
Like, I don't know where to find any incentive or drive.

This is my problem. I don't know what to do.
>>
>>18673340
Please don't fall into "give me the cummies" tier hedonism.

I advise you to check out Jordan Peterson if you feel life to be pointless. His videos might help you out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knEZN9U-9xc
>>
>>18673339
Life can be hard knowing there's no reason to it

That is the meaning you have created. But that is not fact. Before we evolved to think rationally. Every liveing has strived for purposes. Meaning is created simply from liveing. You have clung to an idea. An idea that means only as much as you believe it does. I have been in your shoes. I was cold ,emotionless and would frequently numb out. I was detached from my emotions growing up. But I've slowly reversed the damage. You can convince your self of any idea. Humans are not rational creatures. We rationalize, irrationality. It comes down to your desires and goals. Our mind is tool. All you've done is fooled your self into an idea that has no bearing on you but that which you give it. You can free yourself. Your thoughts become your actions.
>>
>>18673347
Make your incentive to find meaning. Then work towards that goal. One way is trying a whole bunch of stuff. Doesn't matter what. Your goal is to only find meaning.
>>
>>18673362
I can't connect to the idea that life is inherently not meaningless, but it's a nice thought.
>>
>>18673393
>I can't
Your thoughts are your reality you can change that. By thinking differently and constantly.
It's not that you can't. It's you won't. Because you clings to the idea that it's true. I'm guessing you don't know that you can change your perceptions and thoughts through exercise. Reality can be what ever you wish. if you know how to control it.
>>
>>18673419
>Reality can be whatever you wish

I wish most black people would stop being niggers, but that isn't going to happen anytime soon.
>>
>>18673309

This discomfort you are feeling comes from a void that wants to be filled. It is an hunger in itself. It is the fuel for your personal research of a meaning. It can be exciting... but remember that you're 18, you're an adult. The personal quest of an adult is different from the one of a children. You can be going in your life, and still be in pain from time to time. And in some way, it is healthy because this crave for a meaning it is going to push you way further than who doesn't care.

But... remember to sleep, eat and repeat, also. You are human in your spirit but also in your flesh.
>>
>>18673351
There's nothing wrong with hedonism though.
>>
>>18673309
read the Myth of Sisyphus by Albert Camus
>>
File: IMG_2924.jpg (60KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2924.jpg
60KB, 600x400px
>>18673309
HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH

AHAHAAHAHAHHA
>>
>>18673481
Ya don't be a retard, there is objective reality. It's called being practical.
>>
I feel for you, Anon. You're 18 and uncertain. I'm 37, work at a dead end job and right now I'm dying inside from being rejected by the object of my affections. I feel like my life is going nowhere, like it's just going to be nothing but diminishing returns with little hope for change and improvement. My position hasn't changed from my 20s to now and I feel more and more that ending my life would be a better alternative than a future where I am old, decrepit and increasingly bitter. I have no friends, no one who cares for me save for my mother. I'm trapped and tired of my life and I see no way out.

I'm sorry, Anon, but for people like us things never improve.
>>
>>18673309
The meaning of life is what you choose to live life for. If you believe you have nothing to live for then despair is appropriate. But I know there is something you have to live for, even if it is as something as simple as hedonistic self satisfaction.

Also get some sleeping pills. You will feel a lot better if you are able to sleep. Nothing will fuck your mental state up faster then a lack of sleep.
>>
>>18673628
Things only don't improve if you don't set goals and eliminate issues.

You're on the cusp of being 40, and that's where most people give-up and commit suicide.

20 more years, and you'll have made it to the other side with or without companions. The elderly are the happiest humans I know. Life typically does a U-Curve.
>>
>>18673362
How did you reverse the damage
>>
>>18673722

I'm not willing to wait 20 years to let senility and dementia take over. I'm getting so tired of existing.
>>
>>18673763
Don't be.
The elderly love to drink coffee and watch the sun rise.

You've got something to look forward to, and it's not senility. If you're a man, you can adopt a child or even pay someone to act as a surrogate for you. Please don't forget that you've got something to look forward to.

You're casting away 20 years and saying no to 40 good ones.
>>
>>18673798

Adopt? Pay a surrogate?

Jesus, you might as well tell me to take a journey to drop The One Ring down the crack of Mt. Doom.
>>
>>18673826
Something to try and obtain
>>
>>18673309
life is inherently meaningless, but people apply their own meaning by pursing things that are fulfilling

>I'm afraid I have damaged my brain
not sleeping will damage your brain, and so can depression

to put it simply, there is no God dictating why we were created and what we are supposed to do. the point of life is just kicks. whether you get your kicks from being a foster mom, or by winning hamburger eating contests, fundamentally doesn't make a difference.

the problem is that you're depressed, not sleeping, and so your sense of getting a kick out of things is gone. without that sense, you are stuck contemplating your purpose. overly philosophical navel gazing is not the way to become happy and healthy again.

you should probably go to someone for counsel, whether that's your mom, an older friend, a teacher, your school counselor, a clinical therapist, whatever.
>>
>>18673826
>>18673843
>all of this overly philosophical navel gazing is not the way to become happy again
>>
>>18673826
Watch the "San Juniperno" episode of the TV show Black Mirror. You say you're trapped and see no way out. This might help you to see things from a different perspective, or you may continue being miserable. Just give it a shot
>>
>>18673853

I just read the synopsis on Wikidingdong and I fail to see the relevance.
>>
>>18673893
you need a job, a suck job, and an ego boost, not necessarily more philosophy novels or TV
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.