[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Euthanizing best friend

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: sakamoto.jpg (32KB, 300x407px) Image search: [Google]
sakamoto.jpg
32KB, 300x407px
My sister's cat is jaundiced. He's only 3 years old but he's declining. He basically hasn't eaten for two months now. Tonight we had the talk. Since it is her cat technically, she is insisting that she euthanizes it at the vet.

But I bonded incredibly well with this cat over the years. He has always slept with me, who knows why. But I came to like it. Sometimes I'd roll over and wake up to frantic meowing. I sat at my desk and he'd sit on the windowsill, and we would spend time like that.
I'm not much of a talker or a people person. I have commitment issues and can't open up. I lost my grandma at a young age to alzheimers and my dad took care of her until she passed naturally... which took about a decade of consistent decline.
I expected we would do the same for this cat. Her choice to euthanize the cat really hit me out of the blue.

I'm not sure what I want to hear right now. But after I calmed down and looked at the cat, I realize he is dying. It's almost like his 'presence' is halfway gone, and not because of the weight loss. The way he takes his steps.

What do I do /adv/? I don't think I've ever considered losing a friend this fast.

I stopped dissociating. It's very very easy to just decide it's for the best and flick on netflix or hbo or a videogame. But I don't want to do that anymore. I did that as I lost my grandma and it became a habit, I want to face the loss of my cat head on.
>>
Also we haven't broken the news to our baby brother... fuck I am shuddering at the thought
>>
>>18671198
Death is also a part of life, as you've already experienced and will live thru again. Talk to your sister about when/how and how you would like to say goodbye to the cat.
>>
>>18671198
Don't euthanize animals dude. Can you imagine sitting there one day, going to a vet, and being scared as shit once all this unnatural freaky shit starts happening to you?

Let it die naturally, if it's not its time to die, then don't let it die.
>>
>>18671213
Yes, death is certain. Even moreso certain knowing that she will go through with the euthanization. I realized that by granting her permission, it sealed away any hopes I had for the cat's recovery. Before, I truly believed this was just a spell, and he would soon get better. I think now it is setting in, the reality of his condition, the anguish my sister must be feeling, and how he will no longer be with us soon.

And as you say, it will happen again.

>>18671225
I agree with you. But it is ultimately not my choice. I had a nightmare a couple nights ago where my sister threw away all my goldfish because they 'looked sick.' I had no idea it was a premonition. In the dream I remember breaking down into tears. There was a distinct feeling of loss of control, having no say, that is present today as well.

It freaks me the fuck out too. Euthanization seems to me like a power button on life. I don't know. I want to stop her but I also have to think about her own feelings. Nobody would be hurting more than her, but at the same time I think she is neglecting everyone else in the family who loves the cat equally.
>>
>>18671231
I'm guessing she's thinking killing it will be merciful. True mercy would be letting it ride

Idk dude, I've stopped my mom from killing animals hella times. But tell her that it's better to let the animal die naturally
>>
>>18671231
It's not easy to deal with death but you wouldn't really want it to be. You're all going thru the emotions but perhaps at dffrent stages, rejection-acceptance-sorrow.
>>
>>18671242
Unless you belive that animals have intentions that stretch into the future I don't see how and why you would do that.
>>
>>18671198
Look, I have to be honest.

I also love pets, I have a cat myself. I understand how attached you are to this being.
But, if they're suffering, consider euthanizing. I know it's hard but I believe it's the best option.

Good luck, mate
>>
>>18671198
Depends on how much your cat is hurting. If it is in a lot of pain, let your sister euthanize it.
It'd be really selfish to keep a very sick cat around just because you want him to be. If he's hurting a lot, let him go.
>>
thanks guys.

im saying my goodbyes right now. or rather, im saying my goodbyes thru the night. hes sleeping and im going to watch over him until the morning.

i think this will be enough.

he really is such a beautiful being.
>>
>>18671351
Listen, friend. I know it hurts. But just remember that everything that lives has to ultimately die someday.

Take your time to say goodbye to him.

By experience I need to warn you tho... put him in a pose soon because he will get hard as a rock very soon. I know it's crap but it's dealing with death; gotta be strong.

Say your goodbyes and choose a way to dispose of him with dignity.
Peace, bro
>>
>>18671225
Are you joking? The cat hasnt eaten in 2 months! This poor animal is suffering.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.