[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is teaching yourself coding and getting a job in it a meme? I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

Is teaching yourself coding and getting a job in it a meme? I can't get anything in my actual industry and am looking for a sharp change.
>>
Learning to program is enough if you don't mind competing with H1Bs.
>>
>>18670328
I think learning new skills in general to better your life is a meme. Everyone does it.

That answer your question on whether or not you should?
>>
>>18670328
The Technology industry is growing, and yes there will be plenty of programming jobs- but, there are some issues with the industry.

>Affirmative action, if you're a white male it'll be a bit harder to actually get a job.
>Employers have high expectations, ("have 5 years experience of this, know how to do that")
>You have to genuinely enjoy programming to make a career out of it, though some programmers find that they are unable to program as a hobby anymore after coming home from work

up to you bud
>>
I taught myself starting at 16. I'm 22 now and I make 90k/yr writing networking software. It's possible but you have to be good at it to compete with the Indians. If you want a job sooner rather than later learn web dev. If you're fine with working harder and taking longer to get a job that pays more learn systems programming. The market for traditional desktop application developer is small right now because web is the current hotness. Mobile is where you'll find the biggest competition with Indians and jobs can be scarce depending on location.

But whatever you choose, heed this advice no matter what:
BEEF YOUR FUCKING GITHUB.

Whatever you want to learn, the absolute best thing you can do is build shit with it and put it on your GitHub. Demonstrated skill is highly highly valuable to the right employers. Literally half my resume is links to my GitHub and that's what got me the job I have right now. I don't even have a degree yet. BEEF IT.
>>
>>18670501

Not OP but how did you decide what to build for your github? Do you just follow a tutorial and just try to find a related project that you can continue from what you just learned?
>>
>>18670530
whatever you want. tutorials are fine but you should build stuff that you would use or think others would use to keep the motivation. you should pick stuff that's slightly beyond your comfort / knowledge level so you're forced to learn new things along the way. for me personally its usually an itch I want to scratch.

For example recently I knew nothing about web and just to pick up the basics I decided to write a bot to downvote every post a user makes on hacker news. In the process I learned basic HTTP, auth, HTML scraping, sessions and cookies and got a feel for how a typical http library works. It was simple but not too trivial so I would learn something, and I had a user I hated which gave me motivation to finish. After I was done I'm familiar with basic web technologies. Just do stuff like that and throw it up on your GitHub even if you don't finish it. More is better.
>>
>>18670501
Nice! I am starting to learn web dev right now. Do you have any recommendations on what kind of apps should I start with when I start coding my own stuff instead of following courses?
>>
It's a meme. Self-taught coders will never be given the higher end more important jobs. If are fine with being a webcode monkey then it's fine though.
>>
>>18670328
Companies can afford to be picky and hire candidates who are as good programmers as you AND have the degree that theoretically means nothing (Pro tip: it is relevant if you aspire to be more than a coding monkey dealing with simple and repetitive shit)
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.