[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Starting school again

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 1482352554218.gif (420KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1482352554218.gif
420KB, 500x500px
So I've been out of school for a while now and have decided to get back into it. The problem is that I have no idea where to start-- I was in school back in 2013 but my parents never supported me so I got no money from FAFSA, and as a result, got stuck with a $25,000-ish bill.

I was wondering if it would be possible for me to start college fresh again with a new major and at a different school, but I'm not sure if schools would be okay with this. I can't get transcripts and I already tried applying in the past (as a transfer student with community college credits, but they still wanted my old university transcripts), so I'm hoping I don't get stiffed again.

Maybe this is more of me venting. Who knows. Any input would be great. I need to work something out.
>>
Last bump before I give up hope on this thread.
>>
Why in the world would you be going back for more debt? If you want to do it for completion's sake then go to a community college and finish an associate's there. It sounds like you don't even know what you're going to major in which is a huge red flag already.
>>
I know some schools offer a "clean slate" program where you basically do start all over again. The only schools I've seen do it though are community colleges, but you should(?) be able to do that.

I'm not sure if you can attend a large school again though and have them completely ignore your old grades.

Also make sure you know for sure what you're going to major in and don't drop. Look into the pell grant if you're broke enough for it and it is still around. I'm wanting to go back myself and that was the only way I could attend in the early 2010's.
>>
>>18670862
Why wouldn't I or anybody else want to go back to school, especially as a really good student? There's no way you'll ever get ahead in life without a degree, and going into a trade wouldn't ever pay out as much as any of the careers I have in mind would.

>>18670866
I qualified for the Pell grant and I had a good amount of merit- and financial aid-based scholarships lined up, but I couldn't get any of them because of the whole FAFSA thing.

It really sucks being a first-generation American citizen whose parents have no idea how anything works here.
>>
>>18670878
>There's no way you'll ever get ahead in life without a degree, and going into a trade wouldn't ever pay out as much as any of the careers I have in mind would

Not sure what you have in mind exactly but I have a friend who welds for a living and she made about 40K within the first 5 months of the year. Depending on what trade you jump into and how much you're willing to sacrifice time wise you're able to make a good deal of cash.

That's pretty rough. I know most colleges have financial advisers who can help you sort through all the contract bullshit. Also I think at 24 they stop looking at anything from your parents and you should be able to qualify for more.
>>
File: 0e9.jpg (27KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
0e9.jpg
27KB, 600x600px
>>18670878
>Why wouldn't I or anybody else want to go back to school, especially as a really good student?
A good student finishes the first time. And I didn't say a trade, I said an associates. It gives you flexibility to move to a university proper later on and is much easier on a student returning to school from real life. Get some random entry level office job. It may not pay ludicrously well but it will pay the bills.

>>18670878
>I had a good amount of merit- and financial aid-based scholarships lined up
Yeah, those are probably gone. At best you may get a pell grant and a small stipend from the school itself but I wouldn't expect much more than that.
>>
Don't know if you're still reading this.

There's a national database that colleges use to check if a student has previously attended/graduated from another college/university. When you apply to most colleges, they will have a specific clause that says (if you read the fine print) that you are required to hand over your former transcripts and misrepresentation or failure to do so, might result in fraud.

I bombed super hard in one community college (was in NEET-not giving a fuck mode+ anxiety stuff). Then I went to another CC and had a crazy idea to start new by not bringing in my transcripts. Financial aid knew right away that I had attended the other college. When I asked the front desk if I could withhold my transcript, they told me I could, but I will get kicked out and possibly get hit with a fraud charge if I somehow enroll and don't fork it over.

So yeah, it's serious business. Unlike high school. Your college history is a permanant record, and only private colleges might not care/legally require you to hand it over.
>>
>>18670878
Find a different community college this time. My semesters are only $1400 each and that's with 13-14 credit hours.
>>
>>18671007
That's expensive. Full time CC tuition is about $750 in CA. Used to be $300 before 2010. Made me rage when they hiked it up.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.