[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Studying Engineering, but all I really want to do is go to culinary

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 6667-3-large.jpg (87KB, 1248x832px) Image search: [Google]
6667-3-large.jpg
87KB, 1248x832px
I'm a college freshman, majoring in engineering, and I absolutely hate it. The one thing I'm very passionate about is baking, and culinary science in general, but I didn't go to culinary school because my family hyped me up to be some sort of tech genius and I was worried a job as a baker would be unrealistic.

Now that I'm in a STEM major, I feel miserable and even a having a good group of friends isn't helping. This just isn't for me. My parents have already spent so much money sending me to uni I feel like shit for wanting to switch, costing even more money. I'm just afraid going into culinary isn't a good career goal and I'm also afraid I wont be able to study abroad Junior year like I have planed. Do culinary schools even have abroad programs? I'm just anxious and don't want to tell my friends about this until I get what I want to do figured out.

>tldr: I'm dumb, wat do
>>
>>18669458
Follow YOUR passion. Enjoying what you do makes life more enjoyable.
>>
>>18669458
Why havent you asked about what to do before you started?

Btw my mum was teacher. And she hated children (me sort of included). Do you know why? Because her parents made her to do it. Her whole life is kinda mess, part of it because she did something she hates every fucking day. Dont end up like that.

On the other hand, you can do cooking without almost any formal education, all you need is to get some appretinship.

Talk to your study department. You can finish this semester, then stop the course for how long you want (and still have ability to finish it like 2 years later when you find out cooking is shit too).

Good luck?
>>
>>18669465
Thanks, and that's true. I should be doing what makes life enjoyable to me.

>>18669472
I've talked to my parents, but they told me to wait a few more weeks then they'll see what they can do.

Ah, sorry that happened to you. I'll make sure I don't end up like that. I don't think I could handle 3 more years of this anyways.

While that's true, I'm aiming for culinary school because I want to get out of this small city and bake somewhere like New York. Also, if that doesn't work, my friends want to open a cafe after uni and I could help them.

Thanks, I'll talk to my department at the end of the week. Eh, I know for a lot of people the cooking industry is shitty, but I don't plan on being a line chef or anything. Baking and cake decorating are more my speed (yes, it's gay, but it's fun) so it won't be as bad, not including the weird hours and such.
>>
Hated it too! But just a month ago I finally graduated.
Knowing that nobody will make me struggle with math anymore. I feel free.
I kinda just sit back and enjoy the studies these days, at my own pace.
Where I am from, there's prestige in being called an engineer.
Now I can do any other thing I like, with an analytical approach of course.
Chemical Engineer
>>
That said..
Though I chose to study engineering.
I've always thought that one's guardians have more incite at assisting them identify their passion.
But stuff like that don't matter when you're poor. Food is the problem. Study what is guaranteed to bring food to the table. When they see every engineer or doctor has a house in his village and drives a big car... It looks attractive when one is primarily seeking a way out of poverty.
>>
At the end it's more about loving what u do than doing what u love cause u've got not much of a choice in that position. I'm lucky I went to university.
>>
>>18669458
cooking isn't a profession, its a hobby. Stick with engineering and learn to cook for fun.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.