[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First Time Climber

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: THE CLIMB.jpg (767KB, 1500x2100px) Image search: [Google]
THE CLIMB.jpg
767KB, 1500x2100px
I'm about to go rock climbing w/ acquaintances, I have absolutely no experience in this whatsoever?

How/what should I prepare for?
>>
Don't get scared
>>
>>18667325
Most climbing gyms will have a range of walls of varying difficulty. Start with the easiest one and progress as your skill/confidence develops. Having the various gear like shoes and chalk helps but as a beginner you don't need to spend money on that stuff. If you aren't sure about some safety aspect just ask.

Not much to it senpai.
>>
>>18667325
don't be afraid to leap for an extra hand hold, you're safe as long as the person belaying you is paying attention. worst that can happen is that you leap and miss, or your hand slips off, and you go back to where you were on the wall.
>>
>>18667325
You will become afraid of heights, if you aren't already. Even though you will certainly be top-roping (the rope goes from you to the top of the rock, then to a belayer on the ground, eliminating any big fall potential), you will look down at some point and probably freak out a bit. Happens to everyone.

Also, have the most experienced climber look over your setup (harness and knot) before you do any climbing. And if you have a newb for a belayer, ask someone to back-up belay.
>>
>>18667325
would not recommend rock climbing if you dont have muscle, also get sneakers with high grip. only because you will get stuck between rocks.
>>
It's all in the hips
>>
>>18667325
>climbing
never found the appeal with that rope. sure, you can get quite high compared to bouldering.

three simple tips:
use your legs and feet
do not contract your upper arms, leave them extended. if you contract them you'll get fatigue in biceps etc. real quick
keep close to the wall
>>
>>18667325

If you're
>bouldering
> have a pad
>The other person knows how to fall correctly, and
>you intend to catch someone as they roll back after falling to slow them down

Then this tip matters: keep your thumbs touching your index finger during the pre-catch and catch, EVEN IF your natural inclination is to try to use your thumb as part of the catch to "grab" them.

Your thumb can't hold a falling grown man and certainly not a gravity accelerated one. Only by using your full cupped hand can you slow them.

Just remember the saying
>spoons, NOT forks
When catching falling friends.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.