[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Psychiatric advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: tumblr_mm4hlmmhVY1s5e9t4o1_500.gif (973KB, 500x274px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mm4hlmmhVY1s5e9t4o1_500.gif
973KB, 500x274px
Simply put, do you think that Psychiatrists or Shrinks are worth the money?

I'm debating on seeing one because I am noticing that I see and feel situations/emotions differently to "normal" people so it started to me worry a little.
Any past experience you have had with one would be great help too just so I know how you took it.
>>
>>18663772
Placebo effect is placebo. If you think it will help it will. If you fight it it won't.
>>
if you expect them to "fix" you, you will only start to hate and resent them. they won't tell you what to do and hand you a premade solution. their job is to ask the right questions to guide you into the right areas to ask yourself the important questions and coming up with personal solutions.
nobody can change or fix you appart from yourself. but they help you get to the roots faster since they know where to look for.
also, it helps to feel like you're actively working on your issues and aometimes medication is very helpful too. provided you actually go trough the hassle of giving different approaches (dosage, brand, kind, etc) a go.
go in there with the clear set goal of providing them with the conplete truth and nothing else. you're not there to make them like you or approve of you. you're not there to nake them your friend. they can inly do their job if you tell them everything as honestly as you possibly can. you don't do this for them, you do this for yourself. help them help you by not playing childish games and you'll see results.

good luck.
>>
>>18663781
>>18663822
Thanks anons. Have you ever visited one before?
>>
>>18663878
i've been to therapy for two years, yes. it really helped me get my shit back together.
>>
>>18663772
It is worth the money. Thinking about going back to therapy myself.
>>
>>18663882
Thank you so much, would you say it's easier to speak a male or a female? As I am male myself.
>>
If you do it right they can help.

Make a list of what you want to accomplish and when you want to accomplish them. Share that info with the therapist. Change it where necessary and then work towards those goals and timelines.

Wasted my time on three of them before I did this and it worked.
>>
>>18663772
I've had it go both ways. In high school I was going through some shit and saw a shrink who became convinced I was doing drugs (I wasn't) and prescribed me antidepressants that made me feel like shit until I stopped taking them.

More recently as an adult, I have visited a psychiatrist just to have an objective person to talk to that's not involved in my life in any other way. It's kind of like coming here, but more personal and I find it useful.
>>
>>18663896
i'm female and i got assigned to a female therapist. at first i had to get over this. somehow i had the idea that a fenale therapist can't possibly be qualified enough and is only going to let out new age shit.
in the end, i was glad she was the same gender, it made it less awkward to talk about some things.
so my conclusion would be that as a man, you should try to get with a male therapist.
>>
Thank you all for your replies and time, I hope this helps anybody else out who has scrolled past this thread. You've all helped me with your advice on the matter. I'm most likely going to be attending therapy by the beginning of next year so this has eased my mind on it. Thank you all.
>>
>>18663772
Yes. I have enough psych education to tell you yes.

You just need to be careful. Get a referral from a doctor. There are psychologists with PhDs in scientific method and peer review study based approaches and exercises, actually understand the brain, have studied neuroplasticity, and medication to help with mental illnesses. They know the chemical and physical structures and how they go wrong and now to fix them.

And then there are psychiatrists who took a college course on freud or jung (not scientitic) that is entirely speculative bullshit. The type that gives you bullshit rochach tests and tells you youre just mad at your dad.

The latter is far far more common, and theyre the reason most people think psychology is bullshit. Psychologist isnt a legally protected term. Meaning you can call yourself one with no education or training.
>>
>>18663963
I am a male and prefer female therapist and psychiatrist s. But that is because I was raised not to show weakness in front of the men in my family and can't properly talk or trust male therapists.
>>
>>18663772
>I see and feel situations/emotions differently to "normal" people
That seems a bit vague, so seeing a psychologist might be a better idea. In my experience, psychiatrists are pretty straightforward, don't go into psychoanalysis much and just want to remove the immediate symptoms of whatever is bothering you by giving you meds.

If you want to understand yourself better, see a psychologist.

t. seen 3 psychologists, 4 psychiatrists and am a medical student myself
>>
>>18664035
hm, i guess it's personal preference. maybe op just needs to try out both options and see what works best for him.
my dad goes to a male therapist and that's a far better match than if he went to a female one. depends on the situation i guess.
>>
>>18663822
Basically this but you have to find a good one.
It's not like looking for the symptoms and giving you a pill, it need real capabilities to understand the other person, look for the roots of the problem and guide you to come up with the "solution".
So if you go with someone whose not skilled it will be the same as coming here and reading those "Just get right" comments.
>>
If you need meds

they're not very good for much unless they're really personally good at it, like talking you through things with personal interest in you... otherwise they're worthless in my opinion.
>>
Nope. Fuck nope. Family and friends forced me to go to a Therapist a while back; didn't do shit.
>>
>>18664025
>>18664025
>>18664025

How do you know who to trust?

What are the questions to ask to sus out the bullshit from the real

There are hundreds of therapists in my area and they all look the same
>>
>>18665123
I want to know this too
>>
>>18663772
went to one for 2 years. Didn't work. I still feel like suicide is my only option
>>
>>18663772
>Giving money to subhumans.
Never waste money on a logical doctor who's probably so dumb he's incapable of giving you the information you need when every intellectual could do it.

Try instead to use your money on a real brain doctor specialized in neurology.

I don't even understand the point of giving therapist/psychiatrists money when any intelligent person with high cognitive skills can tell you the same things, but better worded and for free.
>>
>>18664025
>There are psychologists with PhDs in scientific method and peer review study based approaches and exercises, actually understand the brain, have studied neuroplasticity, and medication to help with mental illnesses. They know the chemical and physical structures and how they go wrong and now to fix them.
That's already a neurology doctor. Albeit nobody should be legally allowed to open a therapy clinic if they're not real doctors or even medics.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.