[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Organic Chemistry help:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: Orgo.jpg (45KB, 750x422px)
Orgo.jpg
45KB, 750x422px
I'm about to start Organic Chemistry for the first time this semester and wanted to know if any of you had any advice on studying it before I start.
If any of you can recommend books or websites that would also help.
>>
>>18663468
PhD in chemistry here.

What is your text book currently?
I had Organic Chemistry by Carey, 6th edition

Read the book and I mean read it before assignments or tests come. Don't speed read or whatever the faggot kids are doing these days, really read it aloud if you can, really understand the words and figures. Read it before lecture, stay ahead if you can, if not read it as soon as you are done with class. Do not fall behind. I liked Carey's book because it had questions scattered throughout that reflected the material just read and was easy to read in general. Of all my books that's one of the few I kept from undergrad and I still thumb through it from time to time.

Go to office hours. My professor had group office hours with like at least ten students present asking questions or going over problems. Even if you don't have questions, go and participate and take it in and keep getting refreshed.

Do not use a laptop or type the lecture notes. Write that shit down with your hand on paper. You can transcribe it later electronically. Your brain does a much better job retaining information like this.

Lastly, make a separate notebook from lecture. This notebook allows you to catalog chronologically from lecture reaction mechanisms in a neat form.

Don't use flashcards or memorize. They shit is so gay and completely ineffective. Really understand the trends as to why one leaving group is better than another or why one charged state is more stable than another.
>>
>>18663582
As for online resources try these

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/index.html#top

http://www.organic-chemistry.org

And for general simplification of scientific concepts:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html
I love the shit out of that website and actually used it to write a lot of my initial introduction paragraphs of my dissertation.
>>
>>18663582
>>18663587

Hey OP here,

The text book I'm using is Organic Chemistry by Carey 10th edition.

Would you recommend using another addition.

Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>18663643
Nice. Feels weird they are up to 10. I flipped through a copy of the 5th once. The only major difference is the chapter organization in terms of length and questions. It's been about 11 years since I took the course and there have been some ground breaking results that I know will affect later more advanced chapters The text reads generally the same between editions, it should be good to read just for prepping but use the actual text desired by the professor as that will fall in line with how they prepared the course and assignments.
>>
>>18663643
Also whose your professor or university. I won't weaponized autism you. I'm curious how small the world is.
>>
>>18663654
Organic Chemistry by Carey 10th edition is the book recommended by the professor so I don't have to worry about that.

>>18663666
I go to the College of Staten Island it's a pretty meh college but its got a lot of surprising people doing things there, good for people going for their masters at a different college, especially if you wind up doing research with a professor.
>>
>>18663691
My organic professor had a hard on for Cary and had a stack of all his editions and was editing the 7th before I graduated.
>>
>>18663715
>>18663691
Oops, also are you premed or chemistry majors?
>>
>>18663715
Who was your professor if you don't mind me asking.
>>18663716
Chemistry major, always loved it but I've heard a lot of crap about Organic Chemistry so I wanted to see if anyone had any advice.
Honestly a PhD in chemistry giving advice is the best thing I could have hoped for.
>>
>>18663728
I had Ed Hilinski at FSU. Nearly everyone HATED him but I loved the guy. He was a big name in photochemistry in the 80s and 90s and slid into his twilight years teaching and pounding premeds into the dirt. He's nutters but loves it. His teaching style really gelled with me. Organic is what made me become a chemistry major, it's vastly different from other chemistry courses and is not mathy (I hated math until calculus at least). It's universally feared but if you go in with the proper mentality and stay on top of it you'll succeed.
>>
>>18663752
I hated math till calculus too, before that class I couldn't comprehend how people majored in the field.
Anyway thanks for the information and I promises to put it to good use.
>>
>>18663790
Good luck!
>>
OP forget what the faggot phd told you.

Organic Chemistry by Wade is what you should be using. Also, I disagree with the flashcards, I used them as a reference rather than memorizing tool. Trust me, when you start doing retrosynthesis and synthesis a neatly compiled record of reactions will be very handy. You'll soon phase them out but they are nice memento of my baby chemisy days.

Definitely do READ the textbook and take notes with pencil and paper. Turn off your phone, laptop, all other electronic gay shit and pay attention. Ask questions. Everyone will be lost too
>>
>>18663936

Fair enough, is there any reason you prefer Wade over Carey?
I do better trying to understand something instead of trying to memorize it, so when I use flashcards I use them as a reference rather than memorizing tool anyway.
>>
review lewis structures and formal charge
>>
>>18663936
>>18663979
Flashcards are for premed pleb autists. If you understand the mechanism and how regents work or their purpose, you won't need to memorize little details except for the names and those come naturally just like remembering names of people.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.