[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Questioning Faith

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: Nietzsche187a.jpg (632KB, 1464x1986px) Image search: [Google]
Nietzsche187a.jpg
632KB, 1464x1986px
>used to be a staunch Christian
>spent my time calling atheists, agnostics, or even those merely questioning their faith autists without lives
>start reading philosophies, studying other religions, and reading Nietzsche (that was the real catalyst)
>begin to question my faith

I don't know anymore. I definitely believe there is a god. However, I've been deviating from Christianity yet at the same time refusing to completely give it up. I seek answers from other Christians but sometimes their hypocrisy and extreme judgement just disgusts me and further fuels my questioning.

Has anyone else been through a similar situation?
>>
>>18661604
Started off Christian, had more issues with it over time. Eventually I gave it up and found my own set of beliefs that feels right to me, at least for now
>>
>>18661611
Did you doubt yourself when going through that?
>>
>>18661604
I gave up on Christianity due to circular reasoning. or at least that was the one of many reasons i gave up on religion in general. it's all bullshit
>>
>>18661604
Nietzscha's issue wasn't with God. It was with the Church and the Faith. People's flawed faith in God is not God.
>>
>>18661604
I wasn't raised with any Faith whatsoever
I was always told "Yeah there are Christians, and Hindus, and Buddhist, and Muslims. They believe things. Go look them up if you care".
It was only till I was I was an adult that I did and none of them appealed to me.

So why do you believe in a god?
>>
>>18661639
>Nietzscha's issue wasn't with God. It was with the Church and the Faith. People's flawed faith in God is not God.
That's exactly how I interpreted "God is dead".

However, his 'will to power' is what really drove me to doubt. If we are all capable of everything (I don't know how to word this), then surely a deity would be deistic in nature?
>>
>>18661604
Over the course of 30 years I started off Catholic, became an atheist, then a stoic, then an agnostic, then a Buddhist, then a Zen Buddhist, then a Daoist, and finally I learned that labeling myself as a faith cheapens whatever wisdom I gleaned from it. Now I'm just reading the Bhagavad Gita and enjoying it for what it is.
>>
>>18661653
>f we are all capable of everything (I don't know how to word this), then surely a deity would be deistic in nature?
Sorry, but I have no idea what you are trying to convey/ask.
>>
>>18661647
>So why do you believe in a god?
Nearly every religion and philosophy has similar tenets as to how one should live life and treat others. These tenets are similar in that they espouse the need to care for others, be selfless, and exercise the spirit. To me, this isn't a coincidence.

Speaking of the spirit, being 'spiritual' is truly the path towards happiness. Those who I know that are very spiritual are usually the most successful, the healthiest, and the most stable. The spirit is a real thing, and I associate that with a deity.
>>
>>18661658
>Sorry, but I have no idea what you are trying to convey/ask.
Free will = deism
>>
>>18661661
>Nearly every religion and philosophy has similar tenets as to how one should live life and treat others. These tenets are similar in that they espouse the need to care for others, be selfless, and exercise the spirit. To me, this isn't a coincidence.
I know "natural selection" can be a touchy subject with religious types, but the people who weren't "live and let live" were those who got deaded by their neighbours.
There's an ancient Greek custom called "xenia". Where you take in strangers and treat them well.
Ancient Christianity and Islam has it too.
It breaks down to the people who help others live. Those who don't, die.
It isn't a coincidence. It's selection.

The same thing with spirituality. Happy people are reproductive people. Spirit doesn't need to factor it. Belief in it does.
People who believe in an order of the universe are happier than those who believe in a random tossing of the dice.
They work harder, have more children, because they're not burdened by existential dread.

But that doesn't mean they're right.
You look at history and see a lightning bolt smiting those who have the wrong opinion.
In reality, it's thousands of years of natural selection
Ideas are memes as much as genes. They all follow breeding rules
>>
>>18661604
>Nietzsche
>questioning your faith

So you read a nihilistic philosopher's work and now think God ain't real?

also
>taking the biblical texts literally

kek
>>
>>18661604
Definitely been in this situation. I was born and raised in a Catholic Christian family (Catholicism derives from the branch of Christianity, which is an umbrella term). However, that didn't stop me from doubting my religion. What I did to overcome this obstacle: I prayed to God directly and let him do the work. All I did was follow the Catholic church's teachings. The whole point of religion is to guide you closer to God. It all boils down to your relationship with God. To me, the Catholic Church leads me closer to God. Of course if you believe another religion suits you better, than that's you.

Hope this helped.
>>
>>18662301
>Nietsche
>nihilistic
Is this bait?
>>
A lot of sloppy thinking in this thread.

1) Having children doesn't guarantee you happiness. There are plenty of people who have kids who aren't happy people.

2) If breeding is the ultimate meaning of life, what is the meaning of it exactly? That it just repeats itself over and over? What is the purpose of endless breeding?

3) Being "a good person" is entirely subjective, and depends on how you frame/justify an action.

Absurdism is the closest thing to the way I view the universe. It basically says that if the universe has inherent meaning and purpose (which it may not), humans can never know it.
>>
>>18661604
Was a staunch christian now an atheist.

You just dont know anon. If a flying space closet descended onto earth and and the guy from wizard of oz came out and proclaimed he was god, desu, i wouldnt be surprised. The universe is weird enough.

But the answers do not lie in books that have been translated from languages that do not translate well to English after being translated into other languages they do not translate well to, nor does it lie in books that were tweeked and modified for political control (remember. The catholic church was the ruling government of europe for a few thousand years. You know how people are and you know how politicians are. That shits distorted af.)

The answers lie in the enlightenment. Systematic review, evidence based research, and reproduction of events. So far every phenomenon we studied that were once "known" to be gods has turned out to be not magic, and that trend has not stopped.

Live your life as you see fit. Believe in god by all means. But know that no one has that answer, and the sources that do exist, ie scripture, are viciously unreliable.
>>
>>18662656
>desu

Jfc ive never said that before. Auto correct changed that from desu.

I guess god is real and made me look like a faggot.
>>
>>18662657
T.b.h.

Did they put a filter on t.b.h to change it to desu? Lets try... Tbh.
>>
>>18662660
Yes, it's been that way for a long time actually
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.