[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does it mean to be a man?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 11

What does it mean to be a man?
>>
>>18659738
Why do you care?
>>
>>18659738
Being able to fill your fathers shoes, mostly.

Fuck recaptcha that gay shit.
>>
>>18659738
Owning a bepis and also balls
>>
>>18659738
Nothing anymore.
>>
>>18659738
Being a contributing member of society while exhibiting and instilling wholesome values to his own family.
>>
File: the weak should fear the strong.jpg (48KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
the weak should fear the strong.jpg
48KB, 480x480px
Well, I still remember this guy on /fit/ saying, and I quote;
>No one gets in the way of my gains (with a mad pepe attached as pic related)

I absolutely love that quote because being a man is all about taking whatever you want in this world, doing whatever you want in this world.

Wall after wall, it doesn't matter.

Another favourite quote, also from /fit/;
>Submitting to the limitations of your genes is beta, nigger.

Just try not to hurt anyone (rape, etc), that shit is beta af.
>>
File: images.jpg (12KB, 198x255px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
12KB, 198x255px
To be a miserable pile of secrets.
>>
There's multiple ways of proving ones self as a man
But honestly I think it just has to do with taking responsibility as a person and an adult, as well as taking pride in your masculinity.
In mathematical terms: male*adult=Man
>>
>>18659757
That'll be too easy for me, my father left when I was a baby
>inb4 I'm not black
>>
>>18660094
well, got the miserable pile covered so far
am I man now?
>>
>>18660071
Fight Club basically
>>
>>18659738
As I understand it?

1. Move away from collectivist groupthink.
2. Focus instead on self-improvement so that you can get to a point where you are now a constructive influence in the lives of those around you (your community, friends, family, spouse, children, etc).
3. Build something in your life that will last and can be benificial to those in the future who actually deserve it.
4. Build up your own internal strength through hardship and struggle, learn how to learn from yourself, develop the important skill of carrying and projecting that strength properly.
5. Learn how to be subtle and approachable while also being firm and not becoming a doormat for anyone else.
6. Uphold, practice, and teach the constructive values of Western civilization.
7. Raise children who will one day be able to do the same.
>>
>>18660255
how is that fight club? That's just focusing on your own gains. Fight club is on some other shit.
>>
>>18660309
It's Fight Club because the whole masculinity theme in the film deals with doing what you want as an individual rather than mindlessly following the media and society's consumption based model of masculinity.
The whole gains mentality is the direct opposite though. Mindless self-improvement is just as braindead as masturbation, temporary satisfaction but no profound improvements.
>>
File: 1500508707518.jpg (313KB, 1221x1223px) Image search: [Google]
1500508707518.jpg
313KB, 1221x1223px
getting shit and pissed on and emasculated is what it means to be the average man.
>>
>>18660262
>the constructive values of Western civilization.
which are?
>Western civilization
which is?

Also, your other tenets - being an independent, active, family-minded person - apply to women as well don't they?
>>
File: jaden-smith-1.jpg (24KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
jaden-smith-1.jpg
24KB, 300x300px
>>18660329
>Mindless self-improvement is just as braindead as masturbation, temporary satisfaction but no profound improvements.
>Mindless
That is subjective, isn't it. How do you even define mindless self-improvement.
>>
File: 1499495737899.jpg (286KB, 1270x418px) Image search: [Google]
1499495737899.jpg
286KB, 1270x418px
>>18660329
In fight club, gains were considered masturbation and pointless vanity and culminated in them blowing up a credit card company to fall on a museum because "the ancient people are dead" and this is our world.

The whole central theme of the story was disillusionment with life and desiring to self destruct, it had very fascist and Marxist elements to it and it was basically anti capitalist.

"we will stalk deer through time square" was what their end goal was, the end of civilization, the unibomber was probably more in line with fight club then a playboy millionare stereotype.

Emasculation was a central theme however, the testicular cancer part made it clear, men who lost their balls and have nothing to gain in society then self destruct to destroy the society.

anyway, just my thoughts.
>>
>>18659738
Is this Finnish Bryan Cranston?
>>
>>18659738

Walk through adversity without complaining. Keeping many things for yourself, while smiling. Being polite with your adversaries, merciless with your enemies. Thinking that in this world there are just to kinds of people: your friends and the SOBs. Being emotionally sound. Loving just one woman...
>>
To be a man is to challenge life itself.
>>
>>18660356
Yea I agree with your analysis, spot on. The self-destruction only refers to destroying society's model of the ideal man that we have internalized. The masculine essence that remains is what we must then use to self-empower ourselves after having deconstructed all the senseless trash we've ingested, our pseudo-values and our superficial striving for meaning.

>>18660346
As mentioned above, the playboy millionaire stereotype is the epitome of masculinity nowadays for the simple reason that it is profitable. I don't solely mean profitable to a corporation selling you your real estate and your supercars and your plastic wife's fake tits but also profitable in keeping the individual nice and docile. Essentially domesticated men triumphantly parade around their gloriously swollen biceps and their Raybans and their Hollister shirts. That way governments and corporations don't have to fear any uprisings or revolutions as we're too busy squabbling for likes on Facebook pictures of us bench pressing. It keeps society tame. There is nothing subjective about the word "mindless" here because I'm referring to the universal essence of masculinity as "genuine" self-improvement and the rest as "mindless". Mindless self-improvement is anything wherein a man aspires towards a socially imposed standard of the ideal male rather than forming his own values like a real ubermensch.
>>
>>18660419
>Mindless self-improvement is anything wherein a man aspires towards a socially imposed standard of the ideal male rather than forming his own values like a real ubermensch.
Yeah, but that's not what I said. You just took my shit and added beta behaviour to it.
>>
>>18660342
>Also, your other tenets - being an independent, active, family-minded person - apply to women as well don't they?
Absolutely. This is something gravely overlooked. Men need to approach their values with the idea that they cannot succeed in life without likeminded women, and vice versa. Now more than ever this needs to be reinforced.

The delineation between the two comes with the awareness that men and women each have different strengths (which is a massive advantage to each), however the framework for their principles should be the same.

>>18660346
I define mindless self improvement by where the goal of your self improvement lies. If your goal is to improve yourself so that you and you alone can benefit from your own work, then it's mindless and pointless. If you invest in yourself with the idea of being a constructive influence in the lives of other people, then you are not being selfish.
>>
>>18660424
What are you talking about there? You cant just take a line out of context I literally don't even know which message of yours I responded to.
>>
>>18659738
to create, control, and understand
>>
>>18660216
Enough talk! Have at you!
>>
>>18659738
It means not caring about what society thinks about what makes you a man
>>
Well, we aren't the breadwinners anymore so fuk knows lol
>>
men should be really insecure and strict, also they should be ashamed of themselves that's what i was taught as a child.
>>
you are alive, male, and have a working benis
>>
It means you were born with Y chromosome and don't have AIS. You can still be gayer than a $2 bill and present yourself as a woman, it has no bearing on the outcome of your personality outside of the way testosterone might affect it. You are a fleshy sack of chemicals that is programmed to reproduce, so your base instincts cause you to obsess over your reproductive role and feel it determines your success in life - but you are also a program that has become self aware. I don't subscribe to either side of the determinism vs. willpower argument, I feel that it's a bit of both given our intelligence.
>>
It means that you are the product of a set of power relations. There is no inherent meaning to being a man beyond that which is socially constructed.
>>
>>18660748
And being treated like a bitch, but expected to be authoritative.
>>
>>18660875
that is why you must treat your kids like there's something wrong with them, they'll eventually become so angry that they begin standing up for themselves.
>>
>>18659738
It means you fell out of a vagina with a penis after millions of years of carbon gone wild. Thats about all the truth there is to it.

The rest is up to you. Theres no handbook on life, theres no way to be, just try not to be an asshole and learn and improve when you are being an asshole.

No need for you to fuck with the rest of.us on this crazy involuntary ride that is life.
>>
File: f9PfRBz.gif (4MB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
f9PfRBz.gif
4MB, 300x300px
>>18660748
>men should be really insecure
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>18659738
What does the fox say?
>>
>>18660921
He's being sarcastic and alluding to his shitty childhood you fucking autist.
>>
>>18660894
or they'll start to believe there is something wrong with them and fall into a downward spiral of self esteem issues
>>
>>18660894
Some, maybe. I feel that most will either cut off all ties or develop stockholm syndrome.
>>
>>18661064
Did you even watch the movie?
>>
>>18659738
TO CRUSH YOUR ENEMIES
SEE THEM DRIVEN BEFORE YOU
AND TO HEAR THE LAMENTATIONS OF THEIR WOMEN
>>
>>18659738
I'm at chapter 13 and I still don't know. All I know is that a real man tries te be the best version of himself. For some that means great strength for others great intelligence.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170827-134928.png (713KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170827-134928.png
713KB, 1080x1920px
>>18662446
Forgot the screenshot
>>
File: thisbitch.png (1MB, 1085x875px) Image search: [Google]
thisbitch.png
1MB, 1085x875px
To be a man (assuming we're not talking about biology) is to be someone who plants a tree knowing they'll never live to sit under its shade. Which sounds cheesy as hell, but that's the entirety of it.

You aren't made a man by hunting.
You aren't made a man by working out and developing muscles.
You aren't made a man by fucking women.
You aren't made a man by having children.

You're made a man by what you take and leave behind on this earth. Whether it be physical things - such as buildings and wealth, children who pass on the good values and practices you've instilled upon them, or even just a fleeting memory of 'Anon was a really upstanding guy'.

>>18660900

^ he has the right idea.
>>
File: IMG_0312.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0312.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>18662040

The governor of California, great philosopher
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.