[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Being head hunted by a company and used as leverage for another

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: Clz4QuuVYAA4mu8.jpg (32KB, 592x356px) Image search: [Google]
Clz4QuuVYAA4mu8.jpg
32KB, 592x356px
So I am working for this small comany working in the mining industry. I am doing work on this guys land to keep his mining rights up, but the lands also controlled by the small companies competitor. Company A has the placer rights Company B has the hard rock. Company A wants to sell there rights to Company B while Company B just wants A to go die in a fire and take the rights another way.

So B finds out I am working for A and offers me an amazing $50 an hour gig doing basic labour, in exchange I would have to quit working for A and not take on any work else where. I'd wanted to work for B for years but didnt want to just quit A, I finish what I start. When B managers hear that they said they would rescind the offer and I might never get another shot at working there. B has given me a week to choose who to go with, I already know I am staying with A but is it the right choice, B could be my foot in the door to a long lasting job and stability finally. What Do?
>>
File: 1503446962634.jpg (1MB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1503446962634.jpg
1MB, 960x1280px
>>18658675
What is more important to you.. loyalty or money?

Do you really want to work for B under these circumstances? Let's look at it this way.

Girlfriend B wants you to break up with girlfriend A. They promise to deepthroat your shaft every night and satisfy most, not all, of your sexual desires. Girlfriend B is everything you've always wanted in a woman, but you've been with Girlfriend A for a long time, and really appreciates you She's going through a rough time right now because girlfriend B wants to take away their mining rights and she needs you more than ever.
>>
>>18658675
Do you think your Boss would turn down a lucrative promotion to save your ass? Probably not. This is a dumb hill to die on, I'd definitely take the $50 job, what're you making now?
>>
>>18658675
>$50 an hour gig doing basic labour
Unless that's a normal amount in the mining industry for the work you're doing, that sound too good to be true.
>>
>>18658675
Take the opportunity OP. This is one of those once in a life time things. You have the door open to a job that pays well, and'll offer stability. And even better, you like that job. Don't stay with company A when there's such a great opportunity just because you feel some kind of obligation, it's the biggest mistake you'll ever make in your life.

>>18658753
This is nonsense talk right here OP. Don't listen to people like this, they're either idiots or disconnected from reality, usually both. Do the ring thing and take the job.
>>
Your boss just sees you as a nice kid, but could probably give a fuck about your future. Why do you feel obligated to be loyal?
>>
so you're asking if youre supposed to just bite the bullet

what you do here ultimately doesnt matter, youll learn the same lesson in the end

id tell B to fuck off
>>
>>18658813
Nice and vague. Don't listen to him OP, it'll be the biggest mistake of your life. Go with B.
>>
>>18658815
wonder why this guys so desperate?
>>
The question is do you want to work for vultures? Also do you have a single guarantee from company B that you'll get that job and have it for a substantial amount of time? Unless company A really needs you, you might end up not having either job if you make a silly move.
>>
I don't know how your industry works, but do you have any guarantee that B wouldn't just throw you away once they're done using you to hurt A?
>>
Tell A you got an offer from B, negotiate for a better deal than B.
>>
>>18658675
>So B finds out I am working for A and offers me an amazing $50 an hour gig doing basic labour

Why would B pay you for doing 'basic labor' when they could easily get anybody else to do it for half? B just wants to get company info from you to hurt A. Hell, they might even ask you to sabotage A. They would toss you the minute they got what they needed. You would be Company B's patsy.

Tell A what B is up to. B sounds really slimy.
>>
>>18658675
Go to company B or you will regret it. You have to make rational decisions on your career in this world.
>>
>>18660063
At least if OP tells company A then they can have a chance to give him a pay rise.
>>
Company B isn't hiring you because of your skill or worth, you're being used as a pawn to ruin someone elses livelihood ie. once you do what they need you to do, you're disposable to them.

Another issue: Lets say you fuck A over, you can't expect a decent reference from them. What if B fires you only a few months in? How would you explain that on your CV?

Tell A what B is up to, tell A you intend to be loyal to them. It'll show you have integrity.

If B buy you, they'll know you have no integrity and can be bought easily, and they won't respect you.
>>
>>18660360
This OP. Is company B worth making a reputation of being a backstabbing nigger for yourself?
>>
>>18658675
Employer B is shady, how long until they fuck you over after you outlive your usefulness to them? Fifty dollars for "Basic labor" is very suspect, and they only want to use you to ruin their competition. Don't listen to this guy (>>18658805).
>>
Has Company A treated you well? If so, stay with them. Company B sounds like a shitty, unethical company trying to put the squeeze on a young dumb kid to fuck over Company A.
>>
>>18658782
Miningfag here.
I get paid $23 an hour and $35 an hour on weekends for basic labour. Works out to be about $70000 a year. I also live in an area that is pretty poor so I'm basically a king among peasants. I imagine a mining job near a big city probably pays this.
Its dangerous fucking work man, we have meetings at the start of every shift and at least once a week we hear about someone dying at one of the other mines. You cant just pay people nothing to do this shit.
>>
>>18658675
Reading some of the responses here OP I think your best bet is to make an educated decision about this and to not rush in.
If you go to work for company B you should get a contract done up saying that they can't fire you for 5 years so they can't fuck you over. It could be a great opportunity but I wouldn't trust them completely. If you do do this make sure you give proper notice to company A and explain the situation so you're not a dick.
If you stick with company A I honestly would bring up the situation to them and say "hey if you want me to stay you have to make it worth it" and see if you can get a raise out of it.
>>
>>18661455
$50 an hour is significantly more than $24-35 an hour.
>I imagine a mining job near a big city probably pays this.
A mining job near a big city is a bit of a contradiction, don't you think?
>>
>>18658675
if A is trying to sell their rights, wouldn't that just mean their future doesnt look well anyways? i really have no idea, i dont do business or economics.

however if I'm interpreting this correctly, A's future looks bleak so maybe you should just go with B. One day, B will be your A
>>
>>18661480
Its not a contradiction.
I live on the east coast of Canada and you're lucky to get $14 an hour without 8 years of schooling and a letter from god.
I used to live out West in Alberta and you could snag a job that pays $18 an hour pretty easily. There are (or was) dudes up in Fort Mac making $40 or $50 an hour in the oil fields, which is a similar industry.
Keep in mind where I live a standard house is $100k and Alberta you are looking at at least half a mil.
>>
Integrity is nice and all, but you have to remember one thing, OP: companies don't give a shit about you. Individual people might. But generally, the larger a company gets, the more faceless it becomes, and the less human it is, and the less of a shit it will give about you.

You've been given a week to decide. Good. Play this to your advantage. Let Company B know you're thinking about it, even if you're not. Gauge their reaction to see how eager they are to hire you. If they're pretty callous about it then it's a sign that you're only being hired because they want to fuck A over (which you already know, anyway), and they're not pretending to be otherwise.

Let A know that B is trying to pirate you. If you're important to A, they'll try to keep you. If they can match B's salary then good. If they don't even bother then you have nothing to lose.

Lastly, read the wind. B is tyring to fuck A over. Is B going to win? In the long run, it might be wiser to jump ship before it sinks.

Remember, this is a job. It's just a job. You have to ask yourself what your priorities are, and what's important to you. If you're looking for cash then you do what you have to do. If you want to be loyal then you do that. You figure out what's most important to you in a career right now, and act accordingly.
>>
Does integrity feed your kids?
I've always viewed loyalty towards a company as a fool's code. You can appreciate the opportunity, and you can appreciate the people, but when push comes to shove your priority is YOURSELF. The idea that you not only owe some abstract entity your time, but also your heart and mind is fucking stupid. It's a job. You got offered a better one. You know what to do.

It's like those people who work two 30 hour jobs. Like, they want you to be impressed that they're working twice as hard for half as much money.
>>
>>18658675
Unless you have stock in your company there's no reason to be loyal to them. They pay to subtract the best hours of the best time from your life so you can produce value that you do not benefit from directly. If you can make more money elsewhere, go elsewhere.
>>
>>18658675
They saw your indecisiveness and acted on it. Not your fucking problem. They WANT you, but you are a busy person doing your own shit. So you can let em have you at a negotiable price you like the look of or you can go do whatever it is you want that could be worth $50 an hour to them. I mean thats a compliment to be honest, you clearly are capable and useful so dont be afraid to stick with A and then just leave for new ventures when the times right.
>>
>>18659339
This guy gets it right here. Tell A B is headhunting you and that they're giving an offer almost to good to be true, and because of your rough situation(lie about this shit) it is REALLY looking tempting.
>>
File: 1503262999866.gif (2MB, 191x290px) Image search: [Google]
1503262999866.gif
2MB, 191x290px
>>18658675
>>18658772
This. Take the offer op. Stagnation is the enemy of growth and they're offering you a nice step up. If you plateau at company B find another even better deal.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.