[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do we dump our roommate?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0234.jpg (24KB, 196x147px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0234.jpg
24KB, 196x147px
Gf and I are subleasing half of a 2bed/2bath.

We are not on the lease, we moved in on a verbal month to month basis with a 50% split of rent and utilities.

We originally moved in with another couple, the name on the lease is solely the GF of that couple, D.

D's boyfriend went to jail last month. In order to help with her half of the rent, she's been letting a friend stay in the living room.

GF and I didn't mind but she refuses to give key copy to friend so the door will be left unlocked at random times despite how often we mentioned our concern.

Now D has straight out claimed she will no longer cover 50% utilities. GF and I must pay more because she "won't pay for our day usage as she works all day and is only home at night" etc

She has also made other unreasonable claims and requests/actions to the point where we had enough.

We are submitting an app to another apartment Monday, pretty sure we'll get it and be out by Oct 1st.

We won't say anything till the app is approved.

How/when do we tell D?

It has become clear she was very dependent on her BF's income but now that he's locked up, she can't afford everything on her own. We want to give her ample notice but avoid as much drama as possible
>>
OP. Electric is prepaid. We are currently trying to get her to cover the remaining electric for the month of Aug as we have paid it from 1st to 25th. We want her to at least pay 10 days of Sept electric as well.

We think telling her we are leaving as well will add fire to flame.
>>
>>18657824
a letter avoid unforced drama IMO. "yeah I wrote that"
>>
>>18657813
It was verbal so just tell her straight up. Who cares what happens to her.
>>
Just tell her straight to her face. Who the fuck cares if she's angry or shit if you've done your bargain and she's not?
>>
OP here.

-So far D has broken our projector TV and refused to pay

- Let the lights go out and not pay it until she felt like it or told us last min that they would go out if we didn't or money in the account. This is how we've paid for 25 days instead of 14.

Our concern is the safety of our shit and comfort for 30 days. We don't want her to continue to not pay the bills or fuck with our shit. Since we're not on the lease not sure of our legal options.
>>
File: 9melon.jpg (26KB, 600x486px) Image search: [Google]
9melon.jpg
26KB, 600x486px
>>18657813
Let's break this down.

You're unhappy with the living arrangement. D's GF is in a bad spot and can't pay for the rent. She simply cannot afford it, or she wouldn't be trying to raise yours. However she's clearly bad at managing issues and solving interpersonal problems, so her little peabrain's response was to foist the cost off on you.

If her first response to needing more money was to manipulate you into paying more, there's no telling what nasty thing she would do if you say you're moving out. She does need the money, so if you pay her for September and tell her you're leaving, there's nothing to stop her from kicking you out and replacing you with someone who will start paying immediately. Do you follow? You shouldn't say anything AT ALL until your things are literally out of the apartment or you risk a number of issues. She could steal everything you own, get you removed from the premises in a hot New York minute by claiming you're squatting and getting D to call or write the landlord/police. As D's GF, she has the legal high ground here. If you'd like to be really nice and do the right thing, you can line up a number of tenants who would be willing to move in on October first and leave the list on the counter when you move out. If you line up someone who will 100% move in on the first, you're doing her a huge favor and also saving yourself a lot of trouble. I strongly suggest you take your shit while she's at work or you could end up with police officers siding with her and losing half your furniture.
>>
>>18657824
>>18657864
She's clearly unstable, irresponsible, and will become INCENSED when you tell her you're moving out, as that will put her in an extremely bad financial position- about a step away from being homeless. If you tell her, she'll start looking for a new roommate and possibly take her anger out on you/kick you out once she's got the September check. You can find her a new roommate without telling her, make sure they're a similar person (read: equally shitty, don't lure some poor studious normie into living with this idiot), and then do the switcharoo when you move out. You'll have to manage expectations with the new tenant very carefully, as they'll probably want to meet their new roommate. Do make sure they're a female or a couple for her safety. There should be no shortage of people looking to rent. Open a safety deposit box if you have anything of value.
>>
>>18657872
This, since you're not legally attached to the place at all she can fuck you real hard. She can even probably steal all your possessions if you dont have any physical proof they're yours such as receipts. Bc when you call the cops over an "illegal eviction" they can't do shit because as far as the law knows you never lived there.

Say nothing until you are basically moved in. She made her bed by being so unreasonable before and not just talking about the money issues.
>>
>>18657813

Listen to >>18657872.

What I would do, assuming the application for the new place is approved:
1. Rent a storage facility for one month
2. As soon as new place is confirmed, move all my shit out of the current place and store it in the storage
3. Explain to D that you are moving out, and that you will be looking for a replacement tenant
4. Crash at a friend's place for a month until the new place is ready
5. Actively look for a replacement tenant so D is not completely fucked come October 1

Doing this has the following benefits:
-It allows for the possibility of a replacement tenant moving in immediately, before October 1 (allowing you to be completely free of her sooner, and hopefully not have to pay for all of September rent)
-You will not have to pay any September utilities, because you wont be there to use them (D's logic)
-Finding a new tenant will be easier, as you won't be secretly moving out (you don't have to worry about not tipping D off)
-If D flips out and goes crazy, well, all your shit is gone (it is safe), and you won't be there for her to abuse. Legally, she can't do anything to you because as >>18657916 says, the Law doesn't know you lived there. Worst case scenario, you can walk out that door and never see her again.

Note:
-This method requires having a friend willing to host you (or how about your parents/family?)
-The money for the storage could be recovered via the hypothetical saved rent and utilities. Even if it is not, storages spaces aren't really that expensive anyway. Regardless, I think it's a small price to pay for the peace of mind, flexibility, and situational leverage it gives you.
>>
OP. Appreciate all the solid feedback. We've read and discussed a bit more.

Once apt is secured, we're going to keep up all appearances and move out with two weeks notice , crash with a friend and store belongings in basement. Our next hurdle is to get her to pay something on the electric.

We'll be paying double our rent just to have our own place. Worth every penny.
>>
>>18658517
>Appreciate all the solid feedback

No problem; glad to have helped

>Our next hurdle is to get her to pay something on the electric.

I'm inclined to say that it's a lost cause. These kinds of people simply have no decency or. They look out for number 1 and screw everyone else.

I managed the expenses for my last flat, and there was this one cunt that never paid his share. By the time I moved out, he was ~3 months behind and I had to pay it. I never did get my money back. At the end of the day, there is simply nothing you can do to coerce them and they know it. For me, I just gritted my teeth and accepted that it was enough to just get away from these emotional children

It's quite far fetched, but if it really came to it, you could possibly rely on some kind of power backup solution, and let the lights go out. Like, charge your laptop at work; use power banks for your phone; use mobile internet hotspot instead of the dead wifi. This wouldn't do anything for shared appliances though.
Shit, you could even go all out and rent a power generator, and run a line just into your room. Though consider that in this case D may A) Just steal your power when she feels like it, B) Steal the machine, or C), Damage the machine -- causing you to be liable.

What about the other guy staying in the living room? Is he not paying 1/4th of the electricity? Can't get him to pay his 7 days next?
>>
OP. I think I agree that getting utilities is a lost cause. Considering convincing GF to agree that we'll bite the bullet and pay for exactly the amount of days till we leave, if D wants to sit in the dark for two weeks--have at it.

When my GF asked D if her friend was paying for anything, she was told that the friend doesnt use much either and is already paying half D's rent for just a couch so it's not on her etc. Got defensive and loud so GF ended convo and we decided time to move out (Mon). We haven't spoken to the friend much, she's quiet keeps to herself, so are we, so we haven't approach her directly about the issues.

The lights should go out on Sun if D doesn't top up the account, she said she would "put what she thinks is fair" today but I checked and nothing so far
>>
>>18658694
>Got defensive and loud so GF ended convo
Jesus.

>Considering convincing GF to agree that we'll bite the bullet and pay for exactly the amount of days till we leave,
Hard pill to swallow as this is probably exactly what she is manipulating for. But probably for the best to avoid drama: keep your heads down so you can safely/smoothly eject at the right time.

Consider that when you pay extra again, this technically counts as another grievance against you, and can be used as ammunition to defend your decision to move out, should any such discussion arise.

Honestly at this rate, she deserves whatever happens to her in 2 weeks, even if no replacement tenant arrives. You may want to block her number/email/social media after you go, just so as to not be harassed or pestered.
>>
Time to move your shit out now. This is where vindictive desperation comes in.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.