[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who's in the right here?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 3

File: 1479316213870.png (2MB, 1024x816px) Image search: [Google]
1479316213870.png
2MB, 1024x816px
I'm a guy of 22 from England, I'm going travelling solo in Europe for the first time for about 2 weeks soon, I live at home with my mother and sister.

I wanna know if I'm being unreasonable or if my mother is. I was talking about the trip I'll be taking, she says she supports me going but she worries. I'll be gone for 10 days travelling Europe. She says she wants me to message her every day, I think that's too much and she got quite upset/offended about that. It may seem a minor disagreement, I think it's significant. I'm not against letting her know I'm okay while I'm away, but am I being cruel/unreasonable/rude for wanting less contact than every day? I think I'm in the right here, but I'd like your opinion.

On a side note, whenever I go out with friends of an evening, which happens every now and then, she'll give me a text along the lines of "I'm off to bed, safe journey home", but if I don't respond to this she will in all likelihood follow this up with a text saying "anon?" expecting a response to confirm my safety. I don't think my friends parents do things like that. Is that normal for a 22 year old that lives at home?
>>
File: 1494866055837.jpg (34KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
1494866055837.jpg
34KB, 720x480px
Some overbearing parents can. My mother would do and at times still does the same. We had a lot of fights before a healthy distance was established.

I'm 33 and completely independent living in a different country and she still calls in panic each time there's a terrorist attack / natural disaster thousands of Km away...

It's a sign she loves you but it can be very annoying. Just learn to live with it and establish limits progressively.
>>
>>18657349
The night-out check-in may be a bit much, but it's a tiny inconvenience to you and makes your mother so much happier, so why not?

The daily message while away sounds totally normal. You admit this is your first time away - that means it is her first time having you away, and she's going to worry.

There's something more going on here. You send dozens of texts to various people every day. Why are you balking at just one more?
>>
>>18658464
We had quite a lot of fights a couple years ago, me basically trying to push her away, my motivation being because I feel uncomfortable having such a close relationship, feeling like I'm a child. It probably came out of the blue for me to suddenly start trying to push her away, it may well have come across quite cold, she reacted very negatively to it, giving me the kinds of expressions of shock like I was saying I basically wanted to end any kind of relationship we had altogether (which of course I wasn't).

There were a couple of times where she had gone to bed and cried, with her telling me afterwards or my sister chastising me for making my mum cry. In the end, the relationship is essentially the same as it was before, no distance was established and my mum is happy with it, though I'm not.

One more little thing, I still call my mum "mummy". I remember trying to change it a couple of times, particularly when I was about 10 and found it quite embarrassing, my mum basically arguing back with "aw but I like it, I don't want you to call me "mum", it's just a bit..." an basically trailing off, so not really an argument, just her making me feel sorry for her for me to keep calling her "mummy". Just writing this pisses me off.

>>18658823
See what you mean with first point. You admit it's a "bit much" and why don't I just keep doing it to make her that much happier. Could it not also be argued that it's a bit much and so this should be limited?

Second point I see what you mean, it is the very first time and completely different to anything I've ever done.

As for the last point, when I think about it I suppose it's actually minor. I interpret it as me not being left alone, even if it's just a single text at 11pm.
>>
File: 1498360701050.jpg (21KB, 269x340px) Image search: [Google]
1498360701050.jpg
21KB, 269x340px
>>18658926

That totally sounds like what happened to me. I had to claw my independence inch and nail. The most important thing will be becoming financially independent and moving out. You'll get there but it will take some hard work and nerves of steel to get over those emotional outbreaks.

Have fun on your trip dude!
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.