[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dissatisfied With Life

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: rain.png (649KB, 980x612px) Image search: [Google]
rain.png
649KB, 980x612px
I'm 22 tomorrow. I work full time as a software developer since about 3 years ago. Still live at home. Shy and introverted. I'm so sick of my life.

I go to work, come home, play video games / browse the internet, repeat. That is my life. That is all I do. I don't really have friends except people I play with online, I do little to nothing in the real world except go to work.

I've felt this way for a while now but it's been worse recently, but I have this overwhelming feeling of wasting my life. I don't want to sit in an office for the next 50 years and then die. This isn't because I hate my job or anything either; I always wanted to be a software developer, and I work in a good place with people I like, so my job is pretty much a best case scenario and I still hate it.

I want to do something big or interesting or impactful, I play guitar and would love to be a musician, or an actor or writer or something creative (not exactly unusual I know), but I'm too afraid to do anything, to change anything. I feel like it's too late and my life is set.

I can't make friends when I don't go out or see anyone; I don't go out becuase I don't have friends and I'm too afraid to do anything on my own. I would feel like an idiot trying to join a band since since I'm not really good enough since I only play at home as a hobby. I'd feel stupid walking into some acting class with no experience at all, plus I'd be terrified stepping onto a stage to act or play music anyway.

It mostly comes down to my lack of confidence and self esteem. I'm an adult now but I feel like I skipped the part of growing up where you learn to be confident and independent. I've ignored the issue for years thinking I'll get over it when I'm older but now I realize the years keep going by and nothings changing. I don't know what to do.
>>
I'm also too much of a coward to talk about this with anyone IRL
>>
Hit somebody up on social media if you can. You spend a lot of time on the internet so try to put it to some good use if possible - browse some local sites, talk to people. Not very effective for finding actual friends but still better than nothing. Also what about your colleagues ?
>>
>>18656752
This is pretty much me, but without the nice job. I'll be lurking for good luck OP
>>
>>18656895
>Also what about your colleagues ?

I like the people I work with but a lot of them are older and the ones that are my age have their own group of friends.
>>
>>18656752
Are you me from the future ? fuck
>>
Have you considered therapy OP? It might help you get to the root of your emotional and self esteem issues.

I've been going for two years, similar issues like yours. I can't say I'm cured or transformed and I still have a lot of shit to process, but It has helped with certain things. I'd recommend it if you have the money.

pic somewhat related, guy seems comfy in his skin
>>
>>18657282
Do something about it now man, don't wait like I have

>>18657333
I saw a therapist for one session a couple of years ago. Maybe it was just the woman I saw, but I didn't find it very helpful. I feel like if talking about it could fix my issues then I wouldn't have them.
>>
hey friend. might as well post here rather than start a similar thread.

24. havent worked in a job since graduating from uni. graduated from uc berkeley no problems, but moved back home. ended up bouncing around career paths. ultimately just depressed. been 2 years neeting, but ive actually been kept busy. worked for my dad and took care of the house and my baby brother since both parents work.

where has the time gone? i havent done anything for myself, and i feel like i was blinded by focusing on what my peers were accomplishing in life. thats the thing with social media, i guess. your life becomes constantly compared to other peoples lives.

heres to walking in my own shoes
>>
>>18656752
Highly recommended joining a gym and building your physique. Go to gym classes every day and eat nutritious, healthy food. You'll feel better and be in a good position to meet people. Good luck OP.
>>
>>18657343

So let me get this straight, you thought that because you didn't immediately find relief from one therapy session that therapy in general wasn't worth going to? One session? For fuck's sake, OP, go to therapy you dumbass. Therapy isn't supposed to be fun. Its long and drawn out and uncomfortable because it makes you go out of your comfort zone to address your problems in an honest and objective way. Therapy is more complicated than "talking about your problems"

Go to therapy. Stop coming up with excuses for yourself and start taking steps in the right direction. Its either that or don't do anything and continue to live the way you are now.
>>
>>18657368
It was an introductory session to see if the person is right and I felt it wasn't. You may be right that I should try it again though.
>>
Different side to the spectrum here

>married
>have kids

I get up early because of my commute, work and then get home.

Spend the evening settling the kids then i get literally an hour of -me- time in the evening, then its back to bed.

>wash, rinse and repeat

My social life is nill.

But hey, thats the stage of my life and i know things will change just as yours will
>>
>>18657396
Not who you replied to, but why did you feel the therapist wasn't a good fit?
>>
You'd be a lot happier simplifying your life and wanting less things.

People are happy with the absolute minimum, it comes inwardly from you
>>18655353
>>
>>18657456
Can't remember exactly how it went now, but she just didn't seem to really present any solutions. She pretty much told me how its "ok to be shy and quiet", which is true but overall unhelpful.

I have trouble opening up and she didn't really help get anything out of me.
>>
>>18657484
She was probably starting to work on getting you more comfortable with who you are as a person. People have trouble opening up often because they're scared they'll be rejected. Perhaps she was trying to get you to be more comfortable with yourself, which would then make you more comfortable with opening up to people
>>
If you have any money saved go on a holiday. I just did my first season snowboarding in Japan at 28 and it was the best time of my life. Do a working holiday while you're young. Stay at some shitty hostels and just meet people. You have your entire life to work, have some fun before you die
>>
>>18657565
Did you go on your own? I have thought about doing some kind of solo holiday.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.