[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Introducing cat to dog

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: Gary_Busey.jpg (389KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
Gary_Busey.jpg
389KB, 2048x1536px
So trying to get my roommates mutt dog to not kill cat. Its not a very smart dog but he basically just barks and whines in the same room as the cat. should we just slowly introduce them by keeping them separate in the same room?
>>
Strap cat to dog's back so they'll be forced to bond
>>
Dogs and cats can get used to each other if the cat is the new one because dogs will behave for your sake, but it's harder the other way around - if the cat has had a bad experience with the dog it will always remember it and not bother trying to make up.
Your best bet is to make sure he gets more well behaved and listens to commands more so you can tell him to stay put. Age also helps a lot, as even very active dogs will settle down more and more as they get older.
If it still doesn't work, just let the cat do its thing, they're usually smart enough to stay out of trouble.
>>
>>18654459
What breed is the dog? How old is it? Has it ever lived with cats before? Some dogs have really high prey drives with cats, particularly if they're young, high-energy adults and haven't been around cats before.

My advice is to keep them separated in different rooms, give them each a blanket to get their scent on, and then swap the blankets. You can advance by kenneling the dog and getting it to smell the cat through the crate. Then you can move onto being on a leash. When you generally trust the dog to be good with the cat, it can go off-leash and supervised, then off-leash and unsupervised.

I've had an Italian Greyhound, an Akita Mix, a pit/Lab mix, and two Beagles with various cats and never had a problem, however. After learning they're good with cats, I'd skip the scent swap part, and then graduated to skipping the crate part. If the dog likes you/your roommate, you can also try getting your/his scent on the cat and it may recognize it as "part of the family". My Beagle has never shown any aggression towards the kittens I've fostered, even though she kills bunnies indiscriminately, so something must be working.

Good luck with your kitty.
>>
>>18654459
They should meet in a neutral area.
>>
>>18654459
Find neutral ground (not a room they are familiar with) and introduce them.
Give the dog treats and praise pointing out the cat is there (provided it isn't barking or trying to attack the cat) and it will associate the cat with being happy.
I've gotten 2 dogs to accept my cat using that method, yes they expect treats for a bit but as dogs are stupid, they will just be happy to see the cat soon enough.

That said, you're probably a fucking idiot for getting a cat when there was already a dog there.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.