[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does one know what to study in college?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

I'm in a position where I'll have to pick what I want to do in college soon, but I have no idea what path to follow. It seems like everything I'm interested in doesn't really offer too many career paths that I can earn a decent living from.

Some of the things I find interesting

>Linguistics/languages (kinda vague)
>English/literature/writing
>History (ancient)
>Philosophy (I know many people say it's useless to study it, but I've always really loved reading on it, and I feel passionate about it, but I know people tend to look down on humanities subjects–I know it's probably best to avoid this unless I want to teach)
>Psychology
>Anthropology (vague, I know.)

Most of the stuff I mentioned, I just love to read about and find interesting.

I just don't know what sort of careers I could make out of these. It's not like I'm looking for a career that I'll end up extremely wealthy from. Just something that I can enjoy but at the same time earn a decent enough income to build an alright life for myself.

Has anyone here studied any of these subjects and found or know of decent career paths? I'd love to here some success/failure stories/advice. Or on the other hand, if you've studied something in a similar vein and have stories/advice too I'd love to hear about it.

Thank you
>>
Speaking from someone who has spent almost 6 years on and off in degree program and is just now finishing a BSBA after switching from BS accounting:

Your best bet is to just pick something that is currently in demand and try and find a way to wrap your strengths around it. Absolutely none of the stuff you listed is going to shit for you in terms of a real career unless you want to teach, which in that case, pick anything.

I suggest looking into IT/Medical/Business or Government (if you live in the US).

The world of tech and business is particularly vast, and you can't seem to go wrong with a Bus. Admin. Degree because everyone always needs managers. It's not something that can be outsourced.

Dig into the various departments at the colleges you're looking at and see what specific degrees they offer in high demand fields and like I said try and wrap your own interests into it.

And don't be so quick to cross off skilled tradesmen careers, such as electricians or plumbers. There's a huge dearth of skilled labor right now in the US and if you do it right many tradesman can make six figures once you've been in the field 10+ years.

Renewable energy is a fast grower too, so might want to look into working on/building/designing solar or wind farms. It's a real hot field right now.

The worst thing I ever did was believe only white collar jobs were worth looking at, and now looking back 10+ years I realize I'm not as cut out for them as say, a carpenter or police officer.
>>
And for fucks sake don't go to a private school unless you're goddamn certain that's where you want to go and you can afford it, because your butthole will be feeling those loan payments for eternity if you aren't careful.

Read an article a while back that showed while schools like Harvard Yale etc. Increased the hiring chances/selling power for prospective employees, many HR companies said they were as equally happy with their hiring decisions between both state/public Universities and private.

Meaning, in all reality, with small exception, the degree you pay out your butthole for is only going to stack points on your chances of getting a job, not necessarily anything else, and the price tag may not be worth that marginal uptick.

More money |= Better degree.
>>
>>18652597
Good Soul
>>
>>18652523
Definite no:
>Linguistics/languages
>English/literature/writing
>History
>Philosophy
Worth a minor, major only if intending to pursue a doctorate:
>Cultural Anthropology/Sociology
Possibly worth a major only if you intend to pursue a masters or doctorate:
>Psychology

If you get a masters in psych you could do research, teaching or rehabilitative therapy
a doctorate will get you into sociological research
>>
>>18652575
If there's one think i learned in sociology: if you're interested in electricity and not opposed to unionized labor: become an electrician. Probably one of the best jobs available right now. Sustainable, too.
>>
>>18652575
Thank you for your advice, I appreciate it.

I may possibly want to teach. But would that still be a sensible option compared to the other things you mentioned?

Out of what you mentioned, I think renewable energy is something I could find interest in. I just don't know what what the studying for this would involve

>>18652597
This is solid advice. It wouldn't be too difficult finding a decent job without going to private, right?

>>18652677
This is good advice too. Thank you.

I have a question though. I can understand the define no's for almost everything you mentioned, but is that really true for something such as linguistics as well?
>>
>>18652742
linguistics is less useful than a language unless you're good enough to build your own language from scratch. most of those you're looking at a teaching job. Maybe major in chinese and teach english to foreigners.
>>
>>18652742
also, going to private will ruin job prospects. go to a public state university, one with a research college. they have the most connections, and are better than all more expensive schools on every level (except ivy league).
>>
>>18652523
pick something that
A) you're passionate about; this will make the degree much easier to complete, and
B) after 4 years, if you lose your passion, you at least have a usable degree for technician work
>>
>>18652523
Just learn a skill/trade.
Work in tech or something. You can make money that way and then actually enjoy your hobby subjects as opposed to being a slave to them.

The fact of the matter is the subjects you enjoy can be enjoyed in your spare time. And studying them will likely not lead into working in that field and/or make you hate them.

Studying philosophy isn't that bad a move though, actually. Despite what people say it's recognised as a very difficult degree and so businesses seek out people with Phil degrees to work in various positions that (sadly) have absolutely nothing to do with philosophy. If you do choose to study that though, expect to HAVE to talk about religion constantly. My brother did and became very irritated and not being taught anything non theological. Also it's more Mathematical then you'd expect.
>>
>>18652597
Private school is vastly superior. You're treated like a human and not a number and you actually make many more life long friends.

The people I know who went public have maybe like one friend they stay in touch with over a decade later, while Ive stayed in contact with and regularly see well over 30 and I graduated long ago.
>>
File: Liberty University.jpg (86KB, 646x240px) Image search: [Google]
Liberty University.jpg
86KB, 646x240px
>>18652523
Have you ever heard or considered Liberty University located in scenic Lynchburg Virginia?

https://www.liberty.edu/

https://www.liberty.edu/aboutliberty/
>>
>>18652523
>>Philosophy (I know many people say it's useless to study it

All of the subjects that you mentioned are equally "useless" as far as job prospects go.

Not saying that you should not go for any of those degrees, just saying that the other shit is equally as "bad".
>>
>>18653148
Fuck off, shits worse than devry
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.