[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Eating on a budget!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

How do I make due with $60/month for food?
Every little bit helps!
>>
Very interesting. Really explains my childhood, and I was unaware all the time. I thought I was nice.
>>
rice motherfucker
>>
Multi-vitamin
Lentils/beans
Rice
Frozen veggies
Frozen ground meat

Meat is a luxury, really. Don't need it.

If you pick up some flour, you can make tortillas, and bread and shit. Something like $5 for 10lbs? That's like 20 loaves of bread, or god only knows how many tortillas. Nice thing with tortillas is that you can pretty much just shove whatever the hell you want in them.
>>
Keep an eye on your local grocery store papers. I've seen parts of a chicken go for like 0.69$/lb.
>>
>>18650391
had a rough time too when i was unemployed, i basically ate ramen noodels, maggi soups, rice, frozen veggies, some eggs, bread included
>>
>>18650391

So you're trying to live off $2/day?

The stuff in >>18650417 is pretty much spot on.

When I was eating on a poverty budget I bought multi vitamins to make up for my shit diet. You're not really going to get the basic nutrition you need without them. You don't want to start suffering from the side effects from a deficiency.

Rice and pasta are the cheapest ways to fill up and get calories. Canned vegetables that are like 25-50 cents each also can give you some variety.

And as the other guy mentioned...frozen veggies. Broccoli has a lot of protein for being a veggie and eggs are usually cheap too.

Meat is varied. I was able to afford whole chickens and buy them on special.

$60/month is tighter than what I had to endure. Hope it doesn't last too long for you though man.
>>
>>18650391
S T E W S
When I cook chilli, chicken mushroom stew, rabbit stew, beef/potato stew it ends up not a lot per portion given that the meats were on sale, if you eat frugally and eat the sauce I think you could do it
>>
$60/.25 instant noodles
=240 meals for a month
You're welcome
>>
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL--w4KzezpmOxfvxRpL3TfMrS-7gKrhbF
>>
Don't eat during the day.
>>
>>18650391
Buy bulk oatmeal, buy bulk rice, start a vegetable garden or steal them.
Tins of beans, cheap bulk sausage, cheap 2nds eggs
>>
Nobody looks twice when you take an apple or two from the stand
>>
File: shariademandsit.jpg (315KB, 1920x1059px) Image search: [Google]
shariademandsit.jpg
315KB, 1920x1059px
>>18650892
Closest you should ever get for stealing fruits/veggies is to enter in the code for something dirt cheap at self checkout. I almost always pick up large avocados and enter in the code for the small ones or ring up peaches as apples.
>>
>>18651082
Just wear a sweater that has a single pocket on the front, snatch an apple and put your hand in the pocket.
>>
>>18651082
Is there ever that one worker who stands there and supervises while you do that?
Whenever I do self checkout at Wal-Mart there's always one that walks up and down.
>>
>>18651097
Yea there's a supervisor but they never care enough to micromanage what people punch in. You put it in and bag it up.

They're mostly there to assist people who don't know how to work the machines or to confirm someone is 21+ for alcohol.

Plus those people are getting paid minimum wage you think they care enough to save the day over some avocados?
>>
>>18651082
When I said steal them I meant steal them from other peoples gardens and stuff
>>
>>18650391
Eggs nigger. 4 to 6 a day. Add them to your fried rice.
>>
>>18650391

I really feel like this picture isn't legal.
>>
Rice is pretty cheap, and you can make a lot of stuff out if it. Frozen vegetables can be cheap too. Do you have a discount grocery store anywhere near you, like a Grocery Outlet? You can find cheap stuff there that's either overstock or near it's expiration date for low prices, like frozen veggies and seasoning.

Vegetable oil is handy. Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, chicken bouillon, and soy sauce will help season many dishes and stir frys.

There are a ton of rice dishes to make. You can boil white rice in chicken bouillon with veggies for a very filling dish, and if you don't finish it you can toss it in some vegetable oil and soy sauce for some fried rice.

Look in your area for local food banks. You can probably get a handful of decent food to use from that, even if it's not a ton. Sometimes they have things like canned foods, sometimes you can score a box of cookies or something to break up the monotony of a broke diet.

Someone mentioned it earlier, but look for the advertisments in your mail for local grocery discounts. If you find a cheap bulk chicken deal, get it and separate it into 2 or more servings, keep one in the fridge and shove the rest in the freezer to make it last longer.

Good luck OP. Food can be hard when the money is low.
>>
>>18650391
Potatos

Cheap, naturally healthy (potato eaters live 100+ w/o issues) and nutritious (they just take time to cook, and dont eat skins)

I live off them sometimes w perfect health (you just need calcium, never get a cavity again. I recommend nettle tea if youre vegan, skim milk/dairy otherwise has tons of nutrients)
>>
>>18650391
Here's the secret to cheap cooking.

All you need is a pan, and a pot.

> buy dry rice in a bag, brown rice if you like it
> measure out about two cups of rice if you want to make a lot to save for later
> spice the water with a couple of spices, almost everything works so feel free to try anything
> buy the cheapest chicken parts you can (Lots of good deals on chicken breasts and side meat, the kind with skin on one side is the best for the crunchy extra)
> cook up a bunch of vegetables and cut up cabbage in some oil (Mushrooms and a head of cabbage are soooo fucking cheap, vegetable oil or oil oil costs at most $2 for a big bottle)
> add some soy sauce
> add the rice and a bit more oil
> cook it up
> fry an egg or three on the side, add it to the mix for a ton of extra substance and flavor

You have enough fried rice to feed yourself for a or teo easily week easily, with all the ingredients maybe costing you $15 one time, add more cabbage if you want it to be more filling (Cabbage is honest to god one of the greatest $ to food ratio around, and tastes good if you cook it with something)

Just adding different ingredients, sauces (any sauce works) or different cheap meats will make that recipe wildly different for variety.

For breakfasts I recommend cheap, not-trash cereal and oatmeal. Oatmeal mixes with any fruit or syrup to make a delicious snack. Eggs are great on a budget too.

Watch youtube videos on how to cook in a budget, you'll be enlightened to how cheap it can be.
>>
Baked potatoes are a great source of carbs and protein, so is cauliflaur. And they tend to be very cheap
>>
>>18650417
oats are high calorie and cheap too for some variety
potatoes are actually quite nutrient dense and cheap as well.
>>
>make a shitload of pemmican once
>eat over the course of months
>high in protein, doesn't taste bad
>???
>profit
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.