[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Purpose in life

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: 1502929685382.jpg (30KB, 500x467px) Image search: [Google]
1502929685382.jpg
30KB, 500x467px
How can I find out my purpose in life? Are small, tangible short-term goals enough, or should I look for something long term?
>>
>>18649019

if you don't believe in any sort of religion then theres no reason to assume you have any purpose in life. Purpose (outside of religion) is something self assigned. its not really finding out what your purpose is, so much as deciding what it is and dedicating your self to that.

and in many cases there is nothing more to it then deciding to live your life as best as you can. there shouldn't need to be one simple thing that defines your entire life. There is for me, but im autistically obsessive with what I love. not everyone is. most people are normal and like all sorts of things, and its okay to partake in many sorts of thigns while living an ordinary life.
>>
Learn to love, my friend.
>>
You need to create your own purpose in life. Dedicate yourself to fighting disease or hunger or to your children or to a religion or to killing all the jews or to making the perfect burrito.

Its up to you.
>>
>>18649072
Yes, on the 'upper layer' of understanding.
The meaning of life is life. The fact of existence itself holds it's own purpose. Our meaning here, our purpose is to experience the universe.

If that isn't enough, create your own meaning, like said before.
>>
>>18649025
There are so many wrong things in this post.

>if you don't believe in any sort of religion then theres no reason to assume you have any purpose in life
there is no reason to assume you don't have a purpose in life either

>Purpose (outside of religion) is something self assigned
>implying I can't decide by myself what religion to follow, thus self assigning my purpose
>implying all people who don't follow a religion have self assigned their purpose

Ignorance is dangerous.
>>
>>18649273

if they acknowledge their purpose, then they self assigned it to some degree or another.

>implying i cant decide by myself what religion to follow thus self assigning my purpose

getting into semantics there bud. does it really matter? you need to chill
>>
>>18649300
What if I tell you there are religions where life has no purpose?

>semantics
We are talking about a very sensitive topic, having your ideas clearly put is necessary.
>>
>>18649320

>what if I tell you there are religions where life has no purpose?

then thats whats called an 'exception'.

>we are talking about a very sensitive topic
>having your ideas clearly put is osmething i insist upon but have no power to enforce other than acting like a whiny cunt

chil out dude. this is a volunter advice board on a boi pucci rating pictograph forum. im not going to outline every single existential possibility.

you either believe life has an inherent meaning (re: generally religion) or you don't.
>>
>>18649338
>you either believe life has an inherent meaning (re: generally religion) or you don't.
I knew you were this kind of people as soon as I read your first post, but had to take my chances if only to help an anon overcome his/her ignorance.
I'm chill and I'm sorry if you felt attacked by my words.
>>
>>18649019
Find something that you enjoy on a deeper leve. Preferably something that can be monetized, but not necessarily.

There has to be something out there that you feel at home doing. You might not really be good at it, and you might not have done it yet, but its there. Try things. For me, it was coding in a specific language and as a secondary analyzing video games at an almost autistic level. When you find something you're obsessive about, that you think about it even when you're not doing it, that's your thing.
>>
>>18649019
Great purpose in life is being a free loader
>>
When a child learns to walk, do you think he thinks of the great journey in front of him - the miles he will walk in his long life? No, he focuses on a single step. So too is it easier for you to find footing in life's chaos by at first focusing on the small goals - one step at a time. As you gain momentum your perspective will broaden and other goals of wider parameters will follow.
>>
A bunch of tangible short term goals that build up to one large long term goal
>>
>>18649373

ignorance on fucking what?
>>
>>18649019
Move to Colorado
Live out of a shitty van and camp around
Work some random jobs and save a little money
Get hooked up with an outdoor education internship
Learn some good hard skills
Work with disadvantaged youth from the inner cities and learn how to take them on backpacking trips
Read the Tao Te Ching

Changed my life for the better and many others I know. Try it OP. You have a lot fewer limits than you think.
>>
>>18649019
Take what you enjoy doing the most and find a way to make it beneficial to other people. Once you have something like that in your life it will feed your soul for the rest of your life.

What do you enjoy anon?
Meaningful work will take you far.
>>
>>18649019
There is no purpose to life. You are a walking banana monkey and your existence and purpose is to do what you feel is right

volunteer and build houses in africa
masturbate in your room all day
build a family

all valid options. personally im looking to live with a partner and hopefully foster rescue animals then die at the age 34
>>
>>18649019
In your intestines are trillions of "good" bacteria - in fact there are more of them than there are cells of you. In return for a warm place to live, they do some of your digesting for you.

And that is your purpose in life - to provide home and nourishment for shit-eating bacteria.
>>
>>18649426
When an airplane pilot flies his airplane, do you think he thinks of the journey ahead of him - the miles he will have to fly over in his job?
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.