[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Moving to Dangerous City?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: portlandmaine.png (2MB, 1500x787px) Image search: [Google]
portlandmaine.png
2MB, 1500x787px
Hi, lads. I need some opinions on whether or not I should move to a particular city, and if yes, if I should buy a gun for safety. Here's the sitch:

>be me, a 20 year old, poor, 5'1", 100 lbs. woman, who will be traveling exclusively by foot and probably living alone (read: prime rape/murder fodder)
>want to live in City A (in State A) for 3-6 months, then move to City B (in State B) for long-term residence

Some information on City A:
>1 in 114 chance of becoming the victim of a violent crime
>murder rate is 150% higher the national average
>rape rate is 480% higher the national average
>robbery rate is 15% lower than the national average
>assault rate is 133% higher than the national average
>violent crime rate is 135% higher than the national average
>violent crime rate is increasing dramatically
>State A has slightly more than twice the number of sex offenders per 100,000 people than the national average
>State A has the most open persons cases per capita in the nation
>in a four (?) decade period, State A had the most serial killings per 100,000 in the nation (15.65 serial killings per 1 million people)

Some information on City B:
>1 in 168 chance of becoming the victim of a violent crime
>murder rate is 30% lower than the national average
>rape rate is 45% lower than the national average
>robbery rate is 120% higher than the national average
>assault rate is 250% higher than the national average
>violent crime rate is 60% higher than the national average
>violent crime rate is slowly declining
>State B has less than half the number of sex offenders per 100,000 people than the national average
>State B has one of the highest rates of open missing persons cases per person, but is not the highest
>in a four (?) decade period, State B had the 5th most serial killings in the nation (7.44 serial killings per 1 million people)

(1/1)
>>
(2/2)
Comparing the two:
>City A's murder rate is 3.6 times higher than City B's
>City A's rape rate is 10.6 times higher than City B's
>City A's robbery rate is 2.6 times lower than City B's
>City A's assault rate is 1.6 times higher than City B's
>City A's violent crime rate is 1.5 times higher than City B's
>City A is getting substantially more violent with time, while City B is slowly getting safer
>State A has 4.6 times as many sex offenders per 100,000 people than State B
>State A has many more open missing persons cases per capita than State B
>State A has historically had (slightly more than) twice as many serial killings than State B

Should I still live in City A for a few months for the experience, or should I skip this crime capital?
Or should I be fine as long as I have a gun on me at all times?
Do I even need a gun if I'm only staying for the warm season?

As for guns, State A's gun laws are extremely lax. I think I can even take it to work, so I'd have it on me on the walk between my job and my apartment. I'd need to practice my aim and draw speed, but I don't think it's much of an issue. I've shot before as a kid.

Thanks, fellas.
>>
>>18648868
You should really just tell us what city you are moving to instead of this city A city B crap.

You are probably overthinking it too much anyways.

Are you going to be traveling by foot at night often? How often are you planning on going out? What are you goin to be doing?

As long as you don't stand out too much people will not notice too much. And stop looking at all these statistics they don't do anything besides fill you with dread.

Get used to the local life, if you feel scared about going out then don't until you got some friends you can hang out with. Know wich places are hot zones at what times.

This is all basic shit when moving to a new city
>>
Just list the names of the cities like wtf, am I gonna steal your identity by knowing what city you will move to?

And also, as someone who had lived in Jamaica queens -and Newark NJ, it's all about your lifestyle. Are you going clubbing at midnight as you walk alone a street with a broken light post? Or are you locking your doors at 8pm and get ready for a cozy night inside? And every city is dangerous.

I got robbed at gunpoint once. When did it happen? Broad day light on a Sunday one block off a very busy street. Literally can't prepare for it.
>>
>>18648885
>>18648895
Aight. Cities are Juneau, AK and Seattle, WA respectively.

I don't drink, party, or do drugs, ever. Not even pot. I'm not a risk-taker, and am cautious in everything I do. Still, I can't help but notice I'd be extremely easy to prey upon.
>>
>>18648939
I wouldn't worry about it, then again I'm a 6'2, 240 guy.

Seattle is relatively safe, mostly petty crime it seems. They probably call 911 when the barista doesn't top the frappe with creme.

I have no idea about Juneau so I can't say anything.

First time living alone? Be safe. Walk along major streets. Don't walk alone at night. Know bad streets. Uber or Lyft when occasional rare late night occurs. Lock doors.
>>
>>18648977
Yeah, Seattle's overall crime right is higher, but whereas it's high in property crime, Juneau is high in violent crime.

This is also going to be my first time living alone. Moreover, Juneau is 6 times as populous as my hometown.

I just can't stop thinking about how easy it'd be to notice that I always walk alone, to find out where I live and where I work, and snatch me one day, or follow me to a park when I take my dog out. And disposing of a body is practically a non-issue with the ocean and a huge ass forest right outside town.
>>
>>18649216
My friend moved to and lived in Seattle for a year. She didn't get physically attacked, but her car got broken into. I'd be scared if I had to live at a place where there is violent crime is high. I use to live in Los Angeles, and would walk around everywhere alone, luckily I didn't get jumped or raped. Though , I got cat calls and some random crazy dude hugged me from behind while I was shopping. Gotta be careful, OP.
>>
>>18648866
The only reason you read about crime anywhere is that it is newsworthy. And it is only newsworthy because it's rare. Live with a little common sense (Don't stagger drunk through strange neighborhoods at 3 AM) and you are as safe anyplace as anyplace else
>>
>>18649216
Holy shit. Seriously? You're worried about Seattle and Juneau? Jesus, Juneau barely counts as a fucking city. I love it there, but seriously, fuck right off. Unless it's gone completely to hell in the past 10 years, I would feel as safe in Juneau as I would anywhere.

Most of the shit that I heard of going on was the standard depressed winter alcoholics getting into shit because... well it's winter. Guys start getting a little crazy, and they drink too much, and they end up getting into a fight or hitting their wife and bad shit happens. I'm not saying bad shit can't happen to you, but bad shit can happen to you where you live right now.

I haven't spent more than a few days in Seattle, so I can't actually give you much advice about it, but my impression is that it's pretty safe for a major city. Which means you just need to aware of your surroundings, stay out of the shitty parts of town, and don't put yourself in risky positions (like walking down dark alleys, or being out alone late at night).
>>
>>18650114
Eh, I'm not really worried about Seattle, hence why I'm only considering a gun for Juneau if I go on the summer excursion. I haven't been there yet, but I spent a week in Portland and got the impression it was really safe for its size as long as you have common sense. It doesn't seem like Seattle is much different.

Juneau, on the other hand, is rape-y as fuck. Read my opening posts. Nevertheless, it looks like a charming little city and I've always wanted to live in Alaska.
>>
When it comes to big cities, the overall crime statistics can be skewed. There will always be rougher areas and safer areas. Know where these areas are and - just as important - what time of day/night do they get better or worse to be in.

Common sense will protect you. Don't wander around alone at night, and if you are out late at night, make sure it's with someone you absolutely trust, etc. Familiarize yourself with the area, locations, public transportation, and what not to not look so much like an out of towner. But you already know this.

I'm not against the gun, but preventing yourself from *appearing* vulnerable will do way more than a concealed gun. Pepper spray helps too.

Just curious, how are the crime statistics in the area you're from?
>>
>>18650941
The crazy thing is that Seattle's way safer then Juneau. I have no concerns about Seattle beyond the usual, you know, be aware of your surroundings, don't go out alone after dark, don't get into stranger's cars, etc.. And it's so big that I doubt it'd be easy to notice that I walk everywhere.

My hometown, where I've lived for 20 years, is extremely safe. The last murder here was before I was even born. I don't know much about robbery, rape, and assault here. According to the outdated stats I found, between 2002 and 2004, my town's violent crime rate was 68% lower than the national average. There was only 1 reported rape in that time, 2 robberies, and 13 assaults. At the time, there were about 3,000 people living here. We have about 5,000 now and I think it's just as safe as before.
>>
>>18648866
If I were a woman I'd carry a gun 100% of the time. If I were a woman in Alaska I'd carry two guns, maybe a fleshlight or something to distract them. it's a sausagefest out there! Alaska has permitless constitutional carry so you really have nothing stopping you.

In general situational awareness goes a long way. A lot of crimes and assaults and stuff can be prevented in the first place by avoiding certain choke points, knowing when someone's following you, not going certain places alone, that kind of thing. I grew up in a big city and to me this is common practice but I notice that some of the people I know from smaller towns are very trusting and kind of run around drunk and on their phones like they own the place and get surprised when that puts a target on them.

Neither of those places are Syria so I wouldn't feel like it's unsafe to move there. Just find a good area to live and practice common sense situational awareness and you'll almost certainly be fine
>>
File: roswell.png (629KB, 815x580px) Image search: [Google]
roswell.png
629KB, 815x580px
Thin white female here.

I used to sell crack in Ensley Alabama while I was going to university (just outside the #9 murder capitol of the US). Very low income area, never had a problem. If you carry yourself with the appropriate body language and don't dress like a hooker you shouldn't have an issue. The thing people don't understand about rapes and gun violence is that in cities like this, they happen to people who put themselves in a bad position 9 times out of 10. It is much less common that someone just walking on the street gets involved in these things. Homicides are almost always targeted at a particular person, a domestic crime, or a result of a flat getting sprayed. Rent a second floor flat if you're that concerned about shootings or a B&E. Rapes usually happen to women who go out drinking, hang out with the wrong people, or walk around in the dark alone near bars (in an urban setting, not talking about in general, and not trying to blame the victim- these are just risk factors). If you're that worried about it get some mace but you are really being paranoid. I know The Wire and [News Source of Choice] probably really scared you but the chance of something happening if you're not involved in drug or gang related activity is pretty minimal.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.