[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Psychological benefits of exercise

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: 40cvjskw6bfg.jpg (23KB, 313x253px) Image search: [Google]
40cvjskw6bfg.jpg
23KB, 313x253px
Does regular exercise really improve your general state of mind?
If so, does it matter what kind (ideally something I can do at home with minimal equipment) and how often is ideal (at what point do the benefits stop increasing with how frequently you exercise) ?
>>
Supposedly, but does not work for everyone.
Never did for me at least. I've been doing regular exercise for years and the only thing I've ever felt while doing it is miserable, tired, and sweaty.
>>
>>18647978
Yes, exercise improves your mental health 100%. Just go on jogs, do pushups, crunches, etc.
>>
Exercise and fitness does improve mental wellbeing. It will boost your confidence and contribute to a positive perception of yourself.

As for frequency, 30 minutes a day, 3-5 days a week of moderately intense exercise is a good starting point. Add more time per day for less intense workouts. Ideally you should do a mix of cardio and strength training. Go out and run and pick up heavy things. Google bodyweight work outs you can do at home.

Or just take a shower and cut your hair
>>
>>18647982
What's your exercise routine like? You might not be satisfied with what you're doing. Have you tried other physical activities?
>>
Thanks for the advice anons
>>
File: original.jpg (77KB, 538x810px) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
77KB, 538x810px
>>18647987
>>18647992
I wish this were true.

>>18647995
Cardio, swimming, and whatever I can do without a machine.

Daily I do min 30 minutes on the treadmill, sometimes up to an hour, and whatever number of planks, squats, push ups, and sit ups I can handle. Planks tend to run between 1-2 mins per set and I'll do a handful of sets, everything else I do around 30-50 a piece.
At least twice a week I go spend 2-3 hours at the pool doing laps and casual light swimming/relaxing, on top of the above.

I tried joining a handful of sports clubs in college, tennis, soccer, frisbee, flag football even fencing, but found them all pretty boring and quit after a couple weeks.
>>
>>18647987
What if I'm injured because of exercise, fucking moron? What now?
>>
File: IMG_1313.jpg (44KB, 400x529px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1313.jpg
44KB, 400x529px
I hate exercise because I'm a lazy fuck, but short walks through the local nature preserve really helps my nerves. Plenty of butterflies and the occasional turtle to watch while you walk around a little lake.
>>
My mind is clear when I go running. I forget all my problems and feel good afterwards and that I deserve my rest.
>>
>>18647982
>>18647978

If your depression is related to sloth stress or situational factors exercise goes a very long way. If its a physiological chemical problem, it wont do shit and you need professional medical care.

Its also possible you dont have a chemical problem, but exercise isnt what gets your stimulants going. You may have more luck with sex or a creative or competitive hobby that has an end result you can be proud of (build furniture, code apps, play sports.)

Side note: on medical care. Depression and mood problems can be caused by, for example, thyroid issues. An organ that has nothing to do with your brain. People are so anti brain science these days i find it helps to provide a non brain example so it clicks.
>>
>>18647978
>Does regular exercise really improve your general state of mind?

It does for me. Helped me deal with panic attacks after deployment, and if I stop running or going to the gym regularly I tend to become a depressed shut-in piece of shit. I guess it's just increased blood flow to the brain plus endorphins, and also it might improve your appearance and overall energy levels.

Worth a shot in any case.
>>
>>18648403
Done the therapy and the drugs, didn't help either unfortunately. I'm basically just living for the sake of being alive. I have no direction or purpose, I'm just taking up space in the world bc I also can't be assed to kill myself.

>Sex
I wish it was longer lasting. While sex makes me happy in the moment, the crash after it's all over is worse than where I started. As soon as I go home to my own empty bed I'm just reminded I'll never have anything serious and will always at best be some dude's cum dumpster for that fleeting moment of pretending someone gives a shit about me.

>Creative hobby
I do enjoy art, but I don't have the attention span or patience for it. I lose interest part way through a project and forget about it. So I never get that satisfaction of completion.

>Thyroid issues
this I will say I've never thought about. I suppose I'll give that a shot, ask my doc about it.
>>
exercise literally changed my life. I go to the gym 3-5x a week, and try to do martial arts 1x a week. I also try to spend time outdoors (just on my porch), multiple times a day to clear my head and calm down.
>>
>>18648469
In that case i would recommend psychadelics. Sorry my phones dying and im tired i cant be bothered to find sources.

But i promise if you go to nih.gov (government library of published peer review medical studies) you will find a lot of literature.

You can have one good trip, or if yoy dont like being high, a half gram of shrooms every 3 days will help. Try it out. What you got to lose?
>>
>>18648469
Also

>thyroid issues

Thats just an example. Its very possible but just opens a new world of possibilities for you. Could be something not your brain, low testosterone, crappy absorption of some vitamin or mineral.

Im.not a doctor obviously but i do have a bit of formal study in clinical psychology. I legit tell any friends looking for psychiatric care to "see a physician first!"

Wife had depression when I met her. Then her weight started blowing up for no reason (she eats very healthy). I told.her to get a blood test and surprise, hypothyroidism. Shes all better.
>>
>>18647978
Yes, next question.
>>
>>18647978
>(at what point do the benefits stop increasing with how frequently you exercise)

Trying to do the bare minimum isn't going to help your state of mind since you are doing it in a shitty state of mind to begin with.

Work out until your body is sore and then rest a few days and do it again. If you are not sore then you are not doing enough. No pain no gain is legit.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.