[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pure O OCD

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: lXSWGjR_d.jpg (33KB, 640x608px) Image search: [Google]
lXSWGjR_d.jpg
33KB, 640x608px
I'm struggling with Pure O obsessions of various kinds and I fear it can only get worse and I'll never truly be free. Is anyone else in this position/beaten it?
>>
>>18644682
I have had a subtype of ocd, probably weaker than the actual diagnosis but an obsessive pain in the ass nonetheless. Just fight with it quietly. Ask yourself every time you check some shit for a millionth time : wtf ?, remove as much potential causes as possible and distract yourself with something. Count to ten and then say NO and stop.
>>
Cognitive behaviour therapy.
>>
>>18644699
I am on the waiting list to get it with a professional. I don't feel I can do it properly by myself, I have had it with contamination OCD but this feels unbeatable. Especially the sensorimotor obsessions.
>>
>>18644709

I'm a CBT practitioner trainee. You could try experimenting with CBT techniques before you see the CBT practitioner.

Think about your "ritual" then devise a hierarchy list from "that would be uncomfortable to do" right up to "I don't think I could possibly do this" and work your way up.

So for example, if your compulsion/ritual was hand washing, you'd challenge yourself to 5 minutes without doing it right after shaking someones hand (or whatever triggers you). Work your way through to more advanced challenges.

Good luck OP.
>>
>>18644696
I do try man it's just really fucking hard. I have pure O which is obsessions without compulsions, and the closest things there are to compulsions are mental so I struggle to beat em.
>>
>>18644726
Thank you. CBT managed to help me beat my contamination obsession with hand washing and showering but my intrusive thoughts OCD make me have thoughts of violent stuff I don't wanna do that disturbs me. Makes me feel like I am not straight anymore and the sensorimotor stuff gives me hyperawareness of certain sensations. My ultimate fears are never being free from those.
>>
OP here. I also just saw a documentary about a young Canadian guy with OCD who had a disorder where he permanently felt severe pain all the time and he ended his life via euthanasia. I'm now fucking terrified of getting that I feel sick and can't calm down.
>>
>>18644806

These thoughts are disturbing for you but they're just thoughts. It's very normal to have thoughts that are "inappropriate" or "disturbing" that aren't acted on. Part of the reason it upsets you so much is because you interpret these thoughts as a sign that you're "mad" or "bad". It creates a vicious cycle whereby you try to stop these thoughts, but that just causes you think about the issue more and hold onto it.

Don't try to stop yourself having these thoughts. Rather, accept that you have them and that it doesn't mean that you're going to act on them.

You can even test it out yourself. Think about your upsetting thought or image for as long as you can, and nothing will happen because it's just a thought.

When you try to suppress a thought, you paradoxically maintain it.

I'm just a trainee at the moment and your therapist will be able to do this properly with you. But have hope! This can get better.
>>
>>18644837
Thanks again. I do try my hardest but I start to often get these times where I almost believe I want to do these things and its just my inhibitions stopping me. There was this time an intrusive image that I had stopped making me feel as bad as it was and it was just kinda neutral and there. I then feared I'd begin to enjoy it but I was told this is what some people refer to as a "Backdoor spike" but I'm not sure how to describe it or if that just sounds stupid.
>>
>>18644823

You're throwing the issues hard and fast here OP! haha.

Again, just because you think something doesn't mean you're going to act on it.

If you're having a panic attack, practice breathing exercises. Measure your anxiety out of ten (maybe 8 out of 10, etc.). then sit comfortably, breath in through your nose for 4 seconds, then out through your mouth of 4 seconds. Do this for 4 minutes.

when we panic our breathing unconsciously becomes more shallow, it makes us feel more "on edge" which maintains the negative bodily feelings associated with anxiety.

When you've done the 4 minutes, measure your anxiety out of 10 and compare it to the last score. Keep doing this, and you'll see your anxiety naturally diminishes over time.
>>
>>18644877
Sorry for putting you on the spot haha but all help is greatly appreciated. You've actually inadvertently helped me understand one of my sensorimotor obsessions. I think too much about my breathing which makes my breathing shallow and I feel I'm suffocating and aren't actually breathing despite the fact my body is. Albeit in a shallow way. I will try that exercise as it'll help me also confront my breathing obsession as well as hopefully reducing anxiety.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.