[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are my priorities out of order?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

Am i just a lazy loser?
I'm 24 college degreed working a low stress 9-5 job. Most of my peers I went to school with are becoming lawyers, in Med school, engineers, consultants bankers whatever, hyper-ambitious working boatloads of hours/ going to elite graduate schools.

The only part of that whole circle that interests me is the pursuit of knowledge, being well read, informed, and not being a dumbass. Other than that, I don't really give a fuck about selling a startup to google or owning my own law firm. I don't really care about my professional life that much. I'd rather put in the work that's necessary to afford my own pursuits in fitness, reading, doing outdoorsy shit, building friendships and seeing my family and that's it. Minimize time spent in office and maximize time spent enjoying shit what I can . I dont give a shit about building a dynasty or getting into Stanford and making partner, id rather go rock climbing or swimming or Play with a dog or hold my nephew.

am i being immature? Pic semi related
>>
Kind of offtopic, but how is that working out for you?
In about a year I'm graduating too and what you described seems very similar to what I always had in mind as well.
>>
>>18643865

maturity is more accepting and managing the consequences for your actions.

maturity isn't a specific set of goals to develop at a certain age.

if you wanna fucking rock climb for fulfillment, go find a cliff, but don't piss and moan about the rest of your life having to twist around making that cliff your priority. That is immaturity.
>>
Nope.

>I'd rather put in the work that's necessary to afford my own pursuits
Those sound like good priorities to me.

Having a degree that leads to a career is just one socially constructed way of looking at it. I enjoyed mine for the sake of knowledge and being critically engaged with a subject.
>>
>>18643872
I've got loads of time to do shit i want within budget, i actually get 8+ hours sleep every day which I never did in college, work is low stress, as long as you get your shit done and don't pick your nose in public you're good. Day to day I'm pretty relaxed.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm *too* relaxed every day, I wonder if I should go find another job with higher pay and more hours to make that bank, but then I look at my current lifestyle and I find it hard to sacrifice. I've got friends who fly to random places every week for consulting gigs, friends who get home at 9PM from work after being in the office from like 7, and friends who are doing the 9-5 grind and enrolled in graduate school night classes and at my current mental state I just could not imagine doing all that.

Idk if that answers your question
>>
>>18643959
To be honest I don't even know what exactly I wanted to know with my question. Just some general view, I suppose.
But thanks for sharing, made my outlook on after-graduation life a little better!
>>
>>18643882
>>18643882
>>18643723

You're a real fucking charmer on this board.
>>
sounds like you got your life figured out. no problem. i want your life one day op, for what it's worth.

i don't want to make millions of dollars, i want a comfortable job where i have my own place and i can go to europe twice a year
>>
>>18643865
So I dropped out of college only getting an AS in mathematics. DESU I hate the whole 9 to 5 thing. I have about a year left from graduating with one of those "Top tier" Degrees you mentioned. I started an ecommerce biz, because it was fun and easy to do. But most importantly I have the most flexible schedule. I get to hang out with friends, go on vacation whenever etc.

The thing is when its time to work its time to work, you need to plan for things. If you wanna have kids a family,etc. You may not care about it now but when the time comes you will care, and depending on yourself you may or may not be able to deal with it.
Dont complain if you get too old and you cant provide even for yourself, because you wanted to go enjoy life like that.
>>
>>18644010

you can always go pay $150 an hour for a mental health professional to tell you shit in a more syrupy sugary gilded tongue.
>>
>>18643882
>but don't piss and moan about the rest of your life having to twist around making that cliff your priority.
What?
>>
>>18644071
Not this guy but every pursuit requires some sort of sacrifice. In the time I spent using weekends, vacay, nights to rock climb for example, I could have gotten another degree, started a family, worked more and thus made more money. Making the conscious choice now to allocate my time to one thing means not complaining about any inadequacies that might pop up in another part of life as a result.

Likewise, the dude who makes the decision to work 100 hr work weeks but pulls in mad cash and does cocaine all the time shouldn't whine and complain about his inevitable symptoms of poor health and not enough time to exercise, live life, or pay attention to his daughter who will then grow up to suck off multiple dudes in a frat basement somewhere to reclaim her lost love for daddy

Accepting consequences of actions basically
>>
>>18644096
Ahh, got it.
>>
File: keeLq36_d.jpg (52KB, 432x707px) Image search: [Google]
keeLq36_d.jpg
52KB, 432x707px
Honestly at this point, I think the best way to even start a dynasty is to just be emotionally stable, informed, and have free time for your kids. When I look at my graduating class, the most successful kids are the ones who just had good, reliable parents. The ones with extremely ambitious parents often ended up fucked up and self destructive.
>>
>>18644096
>>18643882

am this guy.

>>18644096
> every pursuit requires some sort of sacrifice.

pretty much this, yes.
>>
>>18644125
Btw i was really ambitious for some time. Worked myself insanely hard in college, got incredible results, smart as shit. Went through a really stressful period after where my life blew up. Now im just chilling desu lol. I work remotely at my low stress job from my parents house and take naps between meetings. When I'm in the office i just go make friends with all the girls and go to the office parking lot and walk around. I think you can only push so hard for so long b4 u need a break
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.