[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Converting to Christianity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (36KB, 545x362px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36KB, 545x362px
I was raised a Protestant (Methodist) as a child, but as I got older, my church became less willing to help with questions about the faith. (My father was the local pastor) I fell into apostasy As questions were met with increasingly hesitant and eventually with nothing but "I don't know". By high school o was an Atheist, though I am now an agnostic. I have since also become incredibly nihilistic and depressed for years. I have a "voice" in my head at all hours that I will die and, as there is only oblivion, everything is doomed/worthless happiness doesn't matter as a good life only matters if you can reflect upon it.

All my Christian friends seem so happy and comfy in their faith, and I've tried praying about it/keeping an open mind, but it just seems like bullshit to me. There are individual aspects that I feel have perfectly fine defenses but as a whole it falls apart. What do I do?
>>
>>18640699
>What do I do?
Just become an atheist
>>
>>18640718
I'm not a full atheist because I consider the possibility of a supernatural origin to the universe.
>>
>>18640699
Sorry OP you can't go back from the truth
>>
That's a tough spot you're in. I'd suggest shopping around for a bible study group that you're comfortable in and learn the books from a historical narrative.

I'm skeptical of things in the book for sure, but for me, it gives me hope to believe that something in this universe is willing to forgive and love me regardless of the assholery I commit.

I'd rather have hope than live in that existential black hole.
>>
>>18641039
Once you become an empiricist you can't just discard it. OP will always consider "science" to be truth now.
>>
>>18641205
He doesn't have to discard anything. There can be a marriage of science and faith.

Aside from earth's creation, the big bang and Genesis stories line up very closely. Aquatic animals came first, followed by flying and walking animals. Isaiah talks about the earth being spherical. Jericho falling could have very well been caused by resonant frequency, which we've seen in modern times nearly destroying bridges.

There's tons of science in there, but people are so focused on being right that they don't want to concede anything. Pisses me off when Bible teachers ignore this stuff.
>>
If you look at the science in the Bible to be credible when contemporary science refuted it, that credibility can be used to feel comfortable with the stuff that doesn't make sense, and can actually BE miraculous.
>>
>>18640699
>there is only oblivion, everything is doomed/worthless
And isn't it grand?
Come on, everything ends. All that remains is your memory, and in memory all the shit you've done is forgotten and only your eventual great deeds remain.
>>
Idk if I even 100% believe it, but reincarnation is an extremely comforting thought. Like that gay shit with energy never being destroyed, only borrowed.
>>
>>18641276
There's no archaeological evidence the battle of Jerico happened.

>>18641305
Possibly but one must be consistent in what are literal and figurative biblical claims.

>>18641318
That's only going halfway. Nothing is remembered because it requires observers. There are three possible future outcomes. They are, in order of likelihood
>Heat death where the universe gets too balanced to support life and remains in that state for eternity (because not everything truly ends but things requiring work do): worthlessness
>Humanity advances to a godlike state and becomes eternal of its own accord: your contributions to the goal mattered.
>A religion, any religion with an afterlife is correct: your life has meaning because it determines the status of your eternity
>>
>>18640699
Why won't you try to see what other religions can offer to you? You might find one that fits you better than Christianity
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.