[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mentoring a 10 y/o Syrian boy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: rtx13bxe.jpg (115KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
rtx13bxe.jpg
115KB, 1200x800px
I'm being given the chance of mentoring a 10 y/o (probably a refugee) boy.

I've never tried to mentor someone before - but I feel like a have a lot of stuff to show this little guy you know? Show him what's good instead of fleeing and being scared of the world. Take him to the Zoo, Museum... Help him find himself and discover things that he likes.

It's volunteer work and I'm 23 y/o starting my studies the 29th of August in another city (33 kilometers from where I live - going to take the bus or move there I'm not sure of that yet).

Going into surgery to fix both my feet (once at a time) the 22nd of August.

Not sure if I'm in a good position to take this fella under the wing even tho my guts are pushing me to do it and going in that direction. I feel like I would be good at the job - but then again... My own situation.

Why is my mind telling me to do it, /adv/?
>>
You could make a huge difference in little bro's life. He doesn't care if your feet are healing, teaching him how you see the world and a way to look at things that arn't his probably terrible life could change him. It's a good thing anon.
>>
>>18640371
>>18640371
Thank for the encouraging words friend. It's much more about time then it is about my feet healing and me walking around with crutches. I really want to get a good start in school - and not jeopardize the effect it was on me mentally. You know what I mean?

Am I being selfish or?
>>
>>18640405
nah, it's always reasonable to look out for #1. if it's something you really feel a drive to do, just balance time for him like you would a hobby. except it means a lot more than playing dota or something.
>>
>>18640428
Yeah. You might be right. I think I'll see about it tomorrow. If I got the same feeling that I've got now - I'll go ahead and sign myself to the task
>>
>>18640356
He's 10, he won't "find himself". But you can be kind of a role model he can "suck up" to. You don't have to act a certain way, just be the man you are. You're friendly, reliable, you talk to people and make them laugh and listen, discuss stuff and you can most importantly DO stuff. This leaves a big impression on him. I was a boyscout and when I was 18 and the leader of a group, the kids looked up to me. I told them what the plans were, what the rules were for the games we played, made fire and cooked, built a tent and a fire place with them and it left a big impression. By just being the normal dude you are, you're THE man for him. You talk normally to the kid, ask him about how his day at school was, what he learned. He'll start talking and opening up quickly if you are genuinly interested and you'll find out quickly what type of person he is.
>>
teach him that raping and killing women wont get him anywhere
please
>>
>>18640637
I know. What I was trying to express with those was that I could... As you mention... Be a role model and show him how to act and behave.

Don't you think that I can help him find himself in something? If I bring him to music events... Museums etc. That he might think... This is what I want to do?

>>18640651
Get out of here. He's not a fucking animal.
>>
>>18640681
>hes not an animal

...well you cant tame a wolf neither sooo....
>>
>>18640690
That's an exaggerated statement. You don't know the environment he comes from neither do I
>>
>>18640681
>Don't you think that I can help him find himself in something?
Yeah you can. The thing with the hobbies is good, gives him routine, skills, teaches him language and culture, gets him some friends. I'd support him with school stuff, make him not feel like a looser in school. When he'll grow up, around the time from 14-18 he'll wanna try his own stuff, drink, smoke weed, fuck chicks. You can't really set a path for him, maybe he doesn't even like you.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.