[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best way to get friends at college while being super introverted

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

Hello /adv/, it's OP. I've been at college for about a week now, with classes starting on Monday. There's been a lot of welcome activities that I really didn't feel motivated to go to. I have seen a lot of people walking as groups of friends, as they do.

It's not that I don't know anyone at this university. I probably know a good 20 people that I could talk to if I wanted to, but I just don't want to. However, I do want to make new friends, I'm just really nervous on how to do that. Every time I have to talk to another person, I freeze up a bit, thinking I'll say something stupid. However, I'm not one to give up.

What's some of the easiest ways to make friends without feeling super nervous? I don't want to be weird or get shut down, so what's the best move to make?
>>
As someone who was in a very similar situation last year, I have some advice that helped me. First off, stop giving a shit about social judgement in the event of being awkward. Colleges are home to thousands of people, and many of them are just as awkward as you, possibly even worse. Worst case scenario, you completely fail at interacting with a person, but that's okay because you'll never have to see them again anyway.
Second, you have to go to events to meet people. Step out of your comfort zone. You can stay home when there isn't something going on, but it there is, go. Talk to people. It'll be hard, but you need to do it. Join a club or two that interests you, and talk to people before and after class. Play to your strengths. If you're a dork, be an endearing dork. Be the best version of yourself you can be, and friends will follow.
>>
>>18639416
You're not going to make friends without feeling nervous so just forget about that idea.

>>18639441

This is good advice. If you freeze and don't know what to say, train yourself to say that you're nervous and don't know what to say. Just don't walk away from the situation because you panic.
>>
>>18639416
Are you currently living in a dorm?

If you are, here's some advice: Always leave your door open as much as possible. Also, walk around your floor and try to start conversations with other people who are also leaving their door open who are doing something you find interesting.
>>
>>18639416
>There's been a lot of welcome activities that I really didn't feel motivated to go to.

My god, man, they're practically throwing new friends at you and you're running away.

Look, EVERYONE else around you is in the same boat - strangers in a strange new place. Everyone is scared of being alone and eager to meet new people. Walk up to total strangers and say "Hi. Are you a freshman? So am I" and I guarantee that 9 out of 10 will be thankful that someone actually spoke to them.

Don't put it off. Determine to say Hello to the next person you're on line with, the people sitting next to you in every class, your neighbors. Yes, maybe 1 out of 10 will shoot you down, and maybe only 2 or 3 will turn out to be people YOU don't turn down. But that's how it's done.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.