[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What language should I learn?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: books.jpg (194KB, 850x1133px) Image search: [Google]
books.jpg
194KB, 850x1133px
Hi. I'm stuck between French, German, Dutch, Serbian, and Russian. I haven't considered Spanish.
I chose those because they allow for the most ease of communication around Europe, plus since I live in the UK and suck at foreign languages, I figure it would be pretty useful for not only spicing up my resume/C.V. but also but also open a door into a different culture to experience and enjoy.
>French
Spoken everywhere, sounds nice and seems easy to learn, endless learning resources, yet maybe too common
>German
Sounds awesome, similar pronunciation to English, probably difficult to master, and may look impressive on CV like French
>Dutch
Easier than German, closer to the UK, less resources
>Serbian or Russian
Wild cards, kind of novel to learn, though possibly are of limited use for the average guy
>Asian languages
Internet says they're difficult, business relevance limited here
Appreciate your time and replies.
>>
I'd recommend Java, likely to be the most economically fruitful you could choose.
>>
>>18638240
>I chose those because they allow for the most ease of communication around Europe
Everyone speaks English in Europe anyway.
>>
>>18638255
Exactly. This is a seriously demotivational thing nagging me- people who are not native English speakers have every incentive to learn English, and I would be able to communicate with them through it if I ever traveled.
Though less people would be willing to hear my jilted stammering in their own tongue, instead opting to speak in English. This kind of brushes aside any purpose I had to learn.
I'm not an anti-globalist; just confused as to what the value of culture is anymore. Nationalism takes such a fickle thing too seriously while globalism on the other hand (not multiculturalism) give incentive to rush to "sameness".
>>
>>18638253
Thanks for the good point. If I'm going to spend a lot of time on a language, why not a programming one. What about C?
Knowing the pros and cons of languages is well enough, but I need to find a way to start from the true basics. I know shamefully little useful stuff about computers.
>>
>>18638274
If you want to learn for culture, learn something other than a European language. Culture is hardly dead, by the way, you just need to travel outside of North America and Europe.
>>
>>18638286
Point noted, though for sure I'm going to have to read into this given my stereotype forged knowledge of asian languages.
>Culture is hardly dead, by the way, you just need to travel outside of North America and Europe.
Perhaps I'm being too desensitized by technology and not seeing the woods from the trees. I'll remember this. Thanks.
>>
>>18638240
>>18638240
I'd consider either German, Russian or French (in that order).

You would get by with Russian in all of eastern Europe (+ ex Soviet states in Asia), so it's the most widespread out of the 3.

>Asian languages
Could go for Mandarin, language itself is not hard (grammarwise for example), but remembering the characters and practising pronunciation will take some dedication
>>
>>18638403
Thanks for your reply. I'll remember these points. Ah, so spoken Mandarin is quite achievable. This is good news.
>>
Don't learn dutch
stay out my country
>>
>>18638596
Quit speaking English you clog wearing weeb
>>
>>18638598
>some 20 odd million shouldn't speak the world's primary language
>he should learn a german dialect that has no use to anyone
we don't need you, you don't need us. stay out :)
>>
>>18638603
>Doesn't know what tourism is
>implying his countries economy is so inconsequential they have to learn english in order to trade with most of the world.
>inb4 muh shell
I go wherever I wish and do whatever I want.
>>
>>18638626
My country isn't international soil. You don't belong. Fuck off.
>>
>>18638596
Goed gezegd klompen broeder!
>>
>>18638652
You're right- how obtuse of me. My apologies.
It's UK soil, or will be a colony soon enough. Your low countries will make excellent potato fields.
>>
>>18638685
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edm0YJraeVI
>>
File: 71782030.jpg (9KB, 368x158px) Image search: [Google]
71782030.jpg
9KB, 368x158px
>>18638685
You can't even govern your own land bongo. Even your attempt at patriotism is a joke. Our refugees are all escaping to your island. Just like you will want to, like a beaten dog :)
>>
>>18638240
Arabic
>>
>>18638240
Thinking about what language would be the "best" choice won't get you anywhere after my experience, you just actually have to feel like you want to learn said language. The reasoning of yours can influence that decision, but they can't be the source of your motivation.

You actually have to feel some languages out and listen to yourself. Do you like the sound of the language, the culture associated with it, the long history that your chosen language represents, etc.?

You should completely scrap thoughts like "this would make me look better on my CV". The number of people speaking a language also doesn't change a thing about how you perceive that language.

I would advice you to jump into a language that feels right for you and your goals in life and feel the language out, all the time that you use to estimate which language you want to pick up is wasted learning time.
>>
Learn sign language. You could be a commodity to companies who have no way to communicate with people who are deaf but are looking at deaf prospects. It would be a win win. Don't be a moron and learn so obscure barista language...FYI about French...everyone I know who majored in anything related to language (specifically French) was a limped wrist spiteful and irrational liberal...also only worked in food service but was looking for work in the media and or arts. Don't be one of them...don't be useless to society
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.