[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getting over the willpower hump

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: Sculptor.jpg (357KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Sculptor.jpg
357KB, 1920x1080px
The only thing wrong with me these days is a lack of willpower. I used to be suicidal for a few reasons and I slowly whittled them away. I basically got over those thought processes by accepting them, and then I was able to slowly let them go. But I don't see how I could overcome my lack of willpower by accepting the lack, I imagine that you have to resist fear and overcome hardship to get stronger. I'm currently unemployed because I've worked nine jobs and all of them were excruciatingly frustrating or stressful, and they were basic bitchwork like McDonald's, telemarketing, or technical customer service.

It seems to me that you need a minimum threshold of willpower to gain more willpower. If anyone has ever been truly weak-minded and somehow gotten stronger, how did you do it?
>>
>>18637851

Begin with what willpower you have, push it to 1/4 you maximum, take time to adjust to 1/4 maximum then increase to 1/2 maximum, take time to adjust to that then increase to whatever you are comfortable with until you reach your maximum and are comfortable at it.By taking time to adjust i mean take at least 4 weeks of consistently putting in the corresponding fraction of effort you are on. For some fractions of effort it will take longer than 4 weeks. It varies from person to person.
>>
>>18637880
Appreciate the reply but have you done this yourself? That's some abstract planning, going in fractions of willpower.
>>
Thing with willpower is that the best way to get out of it is by having willpower. Pick something, anything, that requires you to concentrate, get better over time, get exhausted, learn something, etc. You have to somewhat like it, but at the same time not really want to do it. Something like sports, reading, learning a language, and so on. After you picked that, make a schedule and stick to it. I know you've probably tried it already and it failed, but seriously, there's no other way out. Even if you fail, try it again and again. You'll find that once you've done these kind of things a couple of times, the willpower will come naturally.
>>
>>18637929
Thank you, I might try writing stories, Ilike writing but it intimidates me. Any suggestions for job hunting? I know you're supposed to do it and reward yourself, but I always just give up.
>>
>>18637927

Yes and it works locally, not globally. Meaning that activities that i specifically targeted go almost effortlessly even though I am investing more effort in them than I did before the regimen. But it does not transfer much from one activity to another. Its just conditioned habits that make the activity easier, like learning to drive a car without thinking consciously what step to take next, you just do it, so its less taxing on the conscious mind. No one has yet shown that you can increase willpower but habits, now that is something you can form.
>>
>>18637945
Can't help you with job hunting. As spoiled as this sounds, I've litterly had every job blown my way by friends/family/schoolmates.
>>
>>18637952
>go almost effortlessly
Meant to write feel effortless.
>>
>>18637952
>>18637958
Alright, I'll do it.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.