[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Advice for roommates

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: 1400955148918.jpg (98KB, 940x627px) Image search: [Google]
1400955148918.jpg
98KB, 940x627px
Can anyone offer some roommate advice? I'm going to be moving out in the near future.

Things to look out for. Things to avoid. Past experiences you've had. Things you would've done different or changed.

General cohabitating advice/tips.

I'm 24 and will be moving in with a total stranger. I've never lived with anyone else besides my family before. I'm generally quiet, clean and keep to myself. Maybe artistically so, but I'm able to be sociable when need be. I'm not going to be doing any drugs, drinking or having any friends over and most of my time will be spent at work or at school. I expect to only be home for a little bit each night and only to sleep. I feel like I'm a desirable enough roommate for most, but some people seem to indicate in their room mating profiles that they're looking for a best friend to hang out with and I want no part of that.
>>
>>18636076
Be up front with your roomie on your needs for quiet time.

Lock your door, your valuables. Always.

Why would you move in with a total stranger, though? No friends of friends to hook up with?
>>
>>18636085
Nope. One friend lives a few states over. The other is a responsible adult with a home so I don't have many options.

I feel living with a stranger is probably more ideal though. People say not to roommate with your friends because you'll end up hating them which I can attest to. I've had extended living stays in the past and they've all ended poorly.
>>
>>18636170
Some of my best memories are living with by best friends, yea sometimes we had our issues but at the end of the day we were level-headed adults.

I don't think that I could comfortably live with a stranger. I'd rather rent a shoebox than that.
>>
>>18636076

Like any relationship, communication is key - prevent problems by being honest about what's what beforehand, solve problems by being honest when shit begins.

Don't fuck up by holding it in and trying to address it later.
>>
>>18636199
Can you elaborate on any sort of problems you've had in the past and how you resolved them? Everyone is saying "be up front with your communication" etc.

Do you have any examples of things that went down and how you fixed them?
>>
>>18636209

Anon, you need to learn to think for yourself - everyone who comes on this board wants a playbook.

There are typically strategies, but not tactics, you feel me?

I will make up an example: roommate stays up late and plays video games, keeps you awake.

"Hey man, I need to sleep, can you stop yelling at the TV and use some headphones past 10 o clock?"

If he doesn't shut the fuck up, kick him out, move out, beat the fuck out of him, etc.
>>
>>18636230
What? I was just wanting examples of conflicts with roommates so I can have an idea of what to expect since I've never lived with someone before, that's all.

>If he doesn't shut the fuck up, kick him out, move out, beat the fuck out of him, etc.
I feel like that isn't the right way to go about fixing that problem, but okay
>>
>>18636252
>what?
>Anon, you need to learn to think for yourself - everyone who comes on this board wants a playbook.
I don't know how to make that any clearer.

If talking doesn't work, roommate leaving, you leaving, or you physically fixing things are about your only options. I wasn't making a moral assertion, just outlining the possibilities - it's not complicated.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.